Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf: Scottish Open + John Deere Classic

• 11-07-2012 4:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

Scottish Open:
    Francesco Molinari 20/1 €3.50 E/W*
    Nicolas Colsaerts 20/1 €3.50 E/W*
    George Coetzee 40/1 €2.50 E/W*

John Deere Classic:
    Steve Stricker 7/1 €6.25 Win
    Jonathon Byrd 28/1 €3.12 E/W
    Carl Pettersson 40/1 €2.5 E/W

*6 places

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Mickelson and Jiminez in Europe and Yang in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Only had a look at the Scottish yet and have the shortlist down to Goetzee, Mannaserro, Romero and Noren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Goatzee is something different. Coetzee is, in my opinion, a golfer that will never win an event. The man is in contention so many times and always finds a way of throwing it away. Brendan De Jonge is another who will never win a tournament. The man just goes to pieces when the tiniest bit of pressure is applied.

Steve Stricker sticks out like a beacon in America this week.

In Scotland, I can't be having Donald anyway, he's the same price as Stricker is in America, with no where near the same chance of victory.

Harrington should be there abouts on Sunday but his putting will probably leave him short. Thomas Bjorn is another who I fancy this week.

In fact, Brandan Grace, Colsearts and bjorn will be my euro picks and Stricker will be my single pick in america. He could win by 4 or 5 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Scotland:
    Thongchai Top 20 @ 11/5

John Deere:
    Byrd Top 20 @ 11/10

Odds not great but both have won me money this year, hopefully trend continues
    170px-Hands-Fingers-Crossed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Goatzee is something different. Coetzee is, in my opinion, a golfer that will never win an event. The man is in contention so many times and always finds a way of throwing it away. Brendan De Jonge is another who will never win a tournament. The man just goes to pieces when the tiniest bit of pressure is applied.

Steve Stricker sticks out like a beacon in America this week.

In Scotland, I can't be having Donald anyway, he's the same price as Stricker is in America, with no where near the same chance of victory.

Harrington should be there abouts on Sunday but his putting will probably leave him short. Thomas Bjorn is another who I fancy this week.

In fact, Brandan Grace, Colsearts and bjorn will be my euro picks and Stricker will be my single pick in america. He could win by 4 or 5 shots.

Branden Grace has struggled bigtime on the Irish/British links courses - missed cuts in last years Open & Scottish Hydro Chalenge as well as missing the cut in Portrush at the Irish Open a couple of weeks ago.

Is Stricker definitely a banker? I know he has won this event for the last few years but he is having a fairly crap season. Iv gone for him either way.

Scottish Open
    Luke Donald - 15/2
    P Harrington - 14/1
    Simon Dyson - 45/1

John Deere
    Steve Stricker - 7/1
    Zach Johnson - 12/1

• Advertisement

Steve Stricker so far this year.

11 events played. 10 cuts made. 6 top 25 finishes. 4 top 10 finishes. 1 win.

That's the kind of fairly crap season that many PGA players would love to have!

He also shot 4 sub par rounds last week. He's coming into this John Deere Classic in better form than he did for the last 3 (which he won!) I can see why someone high profile like that would give the appearance of being out of form when he's not in contention every week...but look at tiger missing the cut last week..it's bloody hard to win on that tour.

I agree with ya about Grace...but I look at his game and I just don't get why he hasn't cracked those links courses yet. I think he will go well this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Goatzee is something different. Coetzee is, in my opinion, a golfer that will never win an event. The man is in contention so many times and always finds a way of throwing it away.

He is betfair gold though, and all my bets are always done with a back to lay intention. I would also have had very similar question marks over someone like Marcel Siem but he came good. Goetzee actually strikes me as someone that once he falls over the line once could become a consistent winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sorry bit late with John Deere bets but not too late;)

Ryan Palmer, Steve Stricker, Charley Hoffman and Carl Pettersson.

No real outsiders for me this week.

All win/place bar Stricker.

He is betfair gold though, and all my bets are always done with a back to lay intention. I would also have had very similar question marks over someone like Marcel Siem but he came good. Goetzee actually strikes me as someone that once he falls over the line once could become a consistent winner.

Maybe...one would imagine the same will happen with Ricky Fowler. I genuinely thought his win would never come.

Coetzee may have to wait til the end of the year and win one of those sunshine tour/euro tour events. Who knows what will happen then. Poor Brendan De Jonge may have to enter some kind of Kilkenny Classic or something like that. The man has the most birdies on tour this year but has nerves made of candy floss.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Forgot about posting it here, but I did post it in my log 2 days ago .

Stricker @ 7/1 and Pettersson @ 40/1

Colsaerts @ 20/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Have Fabrizio Zanotti :( & A Cabrerra:o in Scotttland.
    Cink:o & Mulroy in AmareAKay. Gonna be a feast or famine come sunday afternoon in this household. The jam sandwiches are on me:pac:

What a back 9 by Stricker. He could have been well out of it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Just after getting on Jacquelin at 40/1. Saw the majority of his round yesterday and he was hitting the ball and putting excellently.

Today wasnt as good but hes still only 4 off the lead and was in contention last week

If he performs ok tomorrow then ill be getting on hi for the open. 125/1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wprathead wrote: »
    Scotland:
    Thongchai Top 20 @ 11/5

John Deere:
    Byrd Top 20 @ 11/10

Odds not great but both have won me money this year, hopefully trend continues

Right, Jaidee currently T23 and Byrd T27 going into final rounds respectively- squeaky bum time

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Got in to see Stricker bogey 18 last night. Bit sickening but hopefully he rallies today and can shoot something in the mid to low 60s as well as Mattersson not getting up too much.

I think if Matteson shoots a 67/68 today it will be good enough. Stricker really needs a 63 or a 64 at worst, hopefully a lot of the holeable putts he has been missing over the last few days will start to drop tonight.

Stricker's putting was very poor last night. In fact i think the occasion might have gotten to him. Or maybe he was just cursed by me. Molinari last week, stricker this week, and countless others in the weeks preceding. Golf is a very cruel game to watch with a vested interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only have had 2 winners all year so far. My worst year so far for winners. At this stage every other year for past 9 years I have had at least 4 winners.

But with BF and exchanges thankfully I have made a profit. Had I been backing with the likes of PP I be down good few quid at this stage.

My record in The Open is not great just 1 winner (Harrington 08) from 9 years. One few tournements made loss over the years.

Hopefully this year.:)

Zach Johnson becomes my second winner of the year, really thought he blew it after that comical first playoff hole where he followed Matteson into the water, he made it up for it though with a superb shot from the fairway bunker to leave himself with a putt from 12 inches.

Advertisement