Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Cinema Coolock, Overpriced or what?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, after going to the cinema in Japan, even the most expensive ones in Dublin are comparatively reasonable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,259 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Skerries wrote: »
    *gets popcorn*

But not from Odeon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Went to the Odeon Point Village on a Friday night recently, €14 for an adult single (2D), disgraceful.

2 Adults, popcorn, drink, some other snack around €45.

And the movie industry wonder why people use piratebay..

k0ll5.png

This is the pricelist for Point village, its €10.50 for an adult 2D Ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

In general, are cinemas a rip off?

Yes... When you bring into the fact alot like to list 3d only showings at popular times (evenings) so they can squeeze that bit more out of you. Not to mention drinks and popcorn. You could easily blow €36 on two adult tickets and a couples combo.

But of course within saying that. Its a persons choice to go to the cinema these days. As downloading is an alternative popular option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I really hate how people will bitch and moan about what a rip off their cinema going experience was but I bet you never bothered to complain to the cinema manager. I know that if I was asked for 28 euro for two adult tickets I would say no thanks and walk away. When me and my girlfriend were going to see MI4 we didn't realise that it was on the luxury screen, it wasn't advertised as such but was changed to allow the screening of some Irish film. When I asked for two tickets I was told that it was 28 euro, rather than fork over the money and rush home to cry about it on boards I simply said thanks but no thanks and we headed over to the other cinema in town where it cost us 17 euro for two tickets.

As for popcorn and drinks no one forces you to buy them and it's not like the prices aren't advertised. Any cinema I have ever been in has posters displaying the price of it so it's not like they try and trick you. In future stop off in Tesco or whatever supermarket is closet and pick up a few treats, guaranteed to save you a fortune.

As for prices in cinemas leading you to use torrents, well if you were a film fan you would either shop around for the best deal or wait till the DVD/Blu is released and then buy or rent it. You would not rush use the cost of thee cinema to justify stealing.

Thanks for the patrionising response mate, i'll start from the top.

''I bet you never bothered to complain to the cinema manager''
    what would be the point in complaining to a guy who's managing the cinema, would it have got me cheaper/free tickets. Unlikely.

''rather than fork over the money and rush home to cry about it on boards'', First of all i was responding to a thread that someone else had started, i didn't get home from the cinema and go straight on to boards for a bitch. I saw someone had the same extortionate experience and wanted to share a few words.

''As for popcorn and drinks no one forces you to buy them and it's not like the prices aren't advertised''
    When you say advertised, in the cinema or online, i could argue you went the whole way to the odeon and saw it was €28 for 2 tickets. Could you not have checked the website? IT'S NOT LIKE THE PRICES AREN'T ADVERTISED.

''justify stealing''
    You've never downloaded a movie, you're telling me every song on your ipod is from the istore???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Don't understand people complaining about the cost of going to the cinema. I have no problem paying €10-12 for a ticket, or more if it's 3D/premium seats.

It's basically an hour and a half's worth of minimum wage pay, for a couple of hours of entertainment. Sounds about right to me. And all cinemas have cheaper prices in the morning/daytime.

Thanks for the patrionising response mate, i'll start from the top.

''I bet you never bothered to complain to the cinema manager''
    what would be the point in complaining to a guy who's managing the cinema, would it have got me cheaper/free tickets. Unlikely.

Last time I complained to a manager about a cinema experience I got two free tickets for the inconvenience. I have on many occasions gone out and complained about people making noise and on a number of occasions the individuals in question were asked to leave.
    ''rather than fork over the money and rush home to cry about it on boards'', First of all i was responding to a thread that someone else had started, i didn't get home from the cinema and go straight on to boards for a bitch. I saw someone had the same extortionate experience and wanted to share a few words.

Point remains the same, it's not like you were forced to pay that much for the tickets. You could easily have shopped around and if you could not find a cheaper option then simply not go.

''As for popcorn and drinks no one forces you to buy them and it's not like the prices aren't advertised''
    When you say advertised, in the cinema or online, i could argue you went the whole way to the odeon and saw it was €28 for 2 tickets. Could you not have checked the website? IT'S NOT LIKE THE PRICES AREN'T ADVERTISED.

If you bothered to read my post you would notice that I refer to the fact that the reason the tickets was so expensive was because the film was only screening in the luxury screen but was not advertised as such. When we checked the listings the film in question was not showing as being on the expensive screen as they had made the change for that night only after the listings had been published.
    ''justify stealing''
    You've never downloaded a movie, you're telling me every song on your ipod is from the istore???

I never said I haven't pirated, I have in the past and will in the future but I've never tried to justify doing so. I like to support the filmmakers whose work I enjoy and I do so by paying for the privilege of viewing their work. Any music on my Ipod has been ripped from my CD collection or I simply got a torrent of an album I already own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 film fan

I've read what this writer had to say about The Odeon and all the others and I don't really want to make any observation on any of their comments. But I do want to make my own comments from my own personal experiences attending the same cinema.
    I live quite near to it. It opened in summer of 1991 and I have hardly ever missed a visit at the weekend in the last 21 years as I'm big film fan.
    The service I recieved over al those years and the friendliness and helpfulness has been amazing.
    In January last year I had a serious operation which had me out of work for 5 months but also I was not able to drive for 10 weeks.
    I registered online many years ago with UCI and every week on Wednesday they would send me an email telling me the films and film times from Friday and also trailers for every film.
    I would not be interested in booking online and still prefer paying at the counter.
    During the time I was recovering I read my email and decided to go to a movie that was on at 3.30 one afternoon. As I was not allowed drive, with difficulty I walked, which involved me going from Tonlegee Rd around by the old Protestant church and along the pathway.
    Any local people will know where I'm talking about.
    It took me 40 minutes (normally it would take 10)
    When I got there I was told that movie is on its last week and is only on at 9pm. I asked to see a manager and explained that it was on my email 3.30 and I also explained my own condition and difficulty getting there.She asked me would I like to come back at 9pm. All local people will know that a youth was knifed to death for his mobile phone on that pathway a few years ago and I said as I had to walk I was not coming round that way after dark.
    She was most apologetic, took my phone no., promised to call me back in about an hour.
    She also explained to me that the email every week is sent on behalf of each branch from head office in England and she recommended when I go home to email them and complain about the trouble I'd had.
    I did exactly that and shortly after I recieved a phone call from the manager as promised. She told I WAS going the following night, a taxi was going to pick me up at the door and bring me home afterwards.
    When I got there The film and refreshments were free and I was given 3 extra free passes which could be used in the next 6 months.
    The next day it turned out that everything I got the night before was the decision of the local manager. At the same time I got an email from the Odeon Group in England (who by the way have always owned UCI. a name change is the only thing that happened recently) who accepted full responsibility for the email error, apologised and told me I would recieve 3 free passes in the post shortly.
    I just thought I would tell my experience after reading one person who felt nobody would listen if you complained.
    I must say I have never felt so well treated in my life by any organisation and it was all as a result of a mistake in an email.
    i am still going every week since the new name went overhead and I'm finding things are even better.
    You can now get points everytime you go using your points card exactly the same way as you use a Tesco card or any other supermarket card. You get points for your total expenditure each time and somewhere down the line you can use those points to pay with.
    Also on Tuesdays there is 25% off yor total.
    On wednesday all standard seats are €5 all day.
    Maybe some people have had problems but I am well more than satisfied with the service, the friendliness and the permanent helpful attitude.
    Over 21 years I've been there more than 2,000 times.
    One more little thing as all regulars attendants know UCI was always the only cinema in Dublin putting butter on the popcorn and Odeon would'nt dare change that policy. Too many surveys have shown how popular it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

film fan wrote: »
    All local people will know that a youth was knifed to death for his mobile phone on that pathway a few years ago and I said as I had to walk I was not coming round that way after dark.

Aye, even after the changes they made (better lighting in that area), it can still be an uneasy feeling using that route at night.

I'd agree anyway, I also live quite close to Odeon Coolock and really have nothing but good things to say about the staff, always very friendly and helpful.

I also always found the prices very reasonable, then again I do tend to go at off peak times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Aye, even after the changes they made (better lighting in that area), it can still be an uneasy feeling using that route at night.

I'd agree anyway, I also live quite close to Odeon Coolock and really have nothing but good things to say about the staff, always very friendly and helpful.

+1 for this, I live nearby there as well and the staff are very friendly and helpful and one in particular is a hottie! :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Have to commend them on their €5 seats on a Wednesday, its been a long time since I paid that little to get into a cinema.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

icdg wrote: »
    Have to commend them on their €5 seats on a Wednesday, its been a long time since I paid that little to get into a cinema.

The queue in that place on a Wednesday night are mental, they were coming out the door last week! Great to see the cinema that busy but surely they're losing money as attendance would surely be down the other nights, like who would pay €9.80 on a Tuesday night when they can see the same film the next night for €5!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 madie

it is well an truly overpriced although 5 euro on a wednesday is good food drink ice cream all over priced i seen a bottle of water for 2.50 lol! we dont live in a ****ing desert

madie wrote: »
    it is well an truly overpriced although 5 euro on a wednesday is good food drink ice cream all over priced i seen a bottle of water for 2.50 lol! we dont live in a ****ing desert

Buy a bottle of water from Tesco on the cheap and bring it in with you. Problem solved.

€2.50 is quite high, but it's competitive for the cinema markets and they majority of the markups on retail in the cinema goes on costs. Payroll and ESB Costs are massive for cinemas. At the end of the day if you don't like the cinema prices don't pay them and bring your own food and drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chubylover

In response to the family ticket not been available at the ticket machine.

That is like that for a reason, I asked about that before and they said it was like that for security reasons. They can't monitor who is buying the tickets. I.e four adults could buy a family tickets. Student tickets are available at the machine but they print off with a black line on them showing that they where bought at the machine and therefore the guest may be asked to produce their student Id. As far as I'm aware a family ticket just prints off with the price and the word family on them. So if they guest walked up separate the staff would be unaware.

Seemed like a valid answer when I asked a staff member one day. P.s was busy at the time and still took the time to answer my concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

The main reason i go is for the hot girl who serves me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Have to agree with a lot of posters here, Odeon is severely overpriced on any day other than their 5euro wedensdays - absolutley love it, great idea! And their loyalty card, where you can get points each time you spend something then add it up to get free movie snacks :D And if that doesnt work, then they have their 5euro medium popcorn/coke deal :)
    Best cinema deals Ive came across so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 film fan

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Have to agree with a lot of posters here, Odeon is severely overpriced on any day other than their 5euro wedensdays - absolutley love it, great idea! And their loyalty card, where you can get points each time you spend something then add it up to get free movie snacks :D And if that doesnt work, then they have their 5euro medium popcorn/coke deal :)
    Best cinema deals Ive came across so far!
    Yes they do have a good deal on Wednesdays with the €5 deal but it's not the only day they have a good deal
    If you have your loyalty card with you on Tuesdays you get 25% off your total purchase which is also a good money saver.
    And if the film you want to see is on in the daytime, daytime prices are much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ufoool

I know this is from 2012 but what you wrote is absolute horse **** and completely wrong odeon has a good pic but 17 euro for an adult ticket 34 for 2 is ridiculous and that other guy had the right idea 13yrs ago but you are a different story and asking ppl for covid passes **** ridiculous odeon are a horrible cinema thats not an opinion thats a fact only an idiot thinks he has all the answers and gets butt hurt when someone else points out facts and he's too ignorant to understand. Vue 6 euro sorry to burst your precious bubble but odeon should be shut down or new leadership either way they are disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The Odeon isn't 17 euro these days .It was 8.50 for cinema tickets this evening.

They have to request covid passes if they want to allow increased capacity. It's better business sense for them to do that whether you agree with the vaccination roll out or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement