Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL Gamepass blackouts. Will you be signing up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky
    I was playing around with my VPN and checking Gamepass out in other countries and the German one is more expensive than the one on offer for us (€214.99 for Superfan) but playoffs are included.

However in Italy, with playoffs as well it's only €185 and in France only €160.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams
    If you get the team only package, will those games be blacked out too if the game is on Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless
    Just after renewing my subscription. Not bothered by the blackouts, obviously Id prefer not to have them but I've got SKY so its not much of a hindrance for me. Went for the season plus which runs for the next 13 months so it's pretty good value for €170

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

frostie500 wrote: »
    Just after renewing my subscription. Not bothered by the blackouts, obviously Id prefer not to have them but I've got SKY so its not much of a hindrance for me. Went for the season plus which runs for the next 13 months so it's pretty good value for €170

Thought it was 159? Thats what I paid I think.

Blackouts dont bother me too much either as they are so easy to get around.

I don't think the IP address matters much when signing up, you'll be charged the price in the country your card was issued.

Just got confirmation from their helpdesk that it's your IP address that determines what you can get access to, not where you subscribed from. So with the Super Fan version and my VPN set to Germany or somewhere, we should be ok for the whole season including playoffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Can someone confirm this for me. Last year I had my Browns game pass. I hooked the pc up to tv and had the Browns losing on one channel and Redzone on the other. I have sky. The only Browns game sky will show is the Thursday night Ravens one. so nothing will change for me bar not getting to watch its lose to Baltimore for a few days after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Can someone confirm this for me. Last year I had my Browns game pass. I hooked the pc up to tv and had the Browns losing on one channel and Redzone on the other. I have sky. The only Browns game sky will show is the Thursday night Ravens one. so nothing will change for me bar not getting to watch its lose to Baltimore for a few days after?

Browns @ Ravens (and all Thursday games this year) is on NFL Network, so you will be able to watch it live on Game Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

eagle eye wrote: »
    Don't give bad advice.

They are going to be blacked out as they will be on Sky so its no use to him for the playoffs.
    This is what it says on the NFL site

As we know now, the NFL have decided we are part of the uk.

you weren't following the conversation, we were talking about circumventing the blackout games using a VPN. I clearly said if Game Pass uses your IP for RedZone and other blacked out games it would most likely be the same for the postseason.
    So season plus with a VPN would mean I can get the playoffs live then? Excellent, that could be the clincher for me. Bye bye Sky!
    if its based on IP yes, I'd imagine whatever way blacked out games and redzone works the playoffs will work exactly the same way!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,134 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams
    padraig_f wrote: »
    Not sure this is the case this year. My understanding is playoff games will be blacked out.

From the feature-list here:
    "Live access to Postseason & Super Bowl is not available in the UK due to broadcast restrictions."

I like how they call the €160 package "Super Fans" (where you can't want playoff games, and marquee games every Sunday will be blacked out).

Didn't realise there was a blackout for all of the playoffs. Not bothered getting even the regular season to be honest. That site I PM'd you a while ago told me in the chat room that they will have all the games and redzone as well so I'm sorted. The quality wont be HD like gamepass but it is cheaper so I'll make do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thought it was 159? Thats what I paid I think.

Blackouts dont bother me too much either as they are so easy to get around.

I don't think the IP address matters much when signing up, you'll be charged the price in the country your card was issued.

Maybe it was, I was charged £129 for it so Im not really sure what the actual charge was!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

So lads something like witopia is the way to go to get around the restrictions?

Anyone know of a similar service that can give you an IP for maybe a day instead of the month/6 mth/a year service?

It'd be good to be able to do it as required, failing that I'll sign up to witopia for 6 mths.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i had a good look around and Witopia is the cheapest & best service I could find - they have a week trial as far as i know too..

i had a good look around and Witopia is the cheapest & best service I could find - they have a week trial as far as i know too..

This will work for Netflix too then would it?

As in use a US IP to get netflix's US content?

The Irish content is so poor in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I think I'll be going for Witopia. They don't have a trial but they do have a 30 day money back offer. I want to watch all the Giants games live or the next day and I don't want to have to subscribe to Sky Sports and Game Pass to be able to do that.

Leslie91 wrote: »

This will work for Netflix too then would it?

As in use a US IP to get netflix's US content?

The Irish content is so poor in comparison.

Yes it does. That's why I got it in the first place. However to get it to work on an appletv, you'll need to jailbreak it but it works fine on a laptop or pc/mac

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

So, just to be clear. GamePass in Ireland will have:
    • No Redzone
    • No coverage of the playoffs
    • 2 live Sky games on Sunday evening and night blacked out for a minimum of 6 days

I think they're all the restrictions, is that right?

Overall, what I'd advise people without Sky to do is subscribe to a streaming site for around €40 a year (or even on a single day basis if there's a game on Sky they want to watch and for the playoffs for around €3 a day). Including the price of GamePass it would cost around €200 all in, but it means you'd get GamePass plus the subscription to the streaming site which will include Sky Sports on 24/7, access to ESPN, Setanta etc, 90% of soccer games broadcast at 3pm every week and loads of pay-per-view events such as boxing, UFC etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 IRL_McNuggetz

How many ip addresses can you log in with, with the one account? i.e can you split the cost of the subscription between you and a friend?

How many ip addresses can you log in with, with the one account? i.e can you split the cost of the subscription between you and a friend?

More than 1 person cannot be logged into the same account at the same time. But other than that as long as each of you has login and PW you are good to go.

Paully D wrote: »
    So, just to be clear. GamePass in Ireland will have:
    • No Redzone
    • No coverage of the playoffs
    • 2 live Sky games on Sunday evening and night blacked out for a minimum of 6 days

I think they're all the restrictions, is that right?

Overall, what I'd advise people without Sky to do is subscribe to a streaming site for around €40 a year (or even on a single day basis if there's a game on Sky they want to watch and for the playoffs for around €3 a day). Including the price of GamePass it would cost around €200 all in, but it means you'd get GamePass plus the subscription to the streaming site which will include Sky Sports on 24/7, access to ESPN, Setanta etc, 90% of soccer games broadcast at 3pm every week and loads of pay-per-view events such as boxing, UFC etc.

U mean like that flashsportsstreams you mentioned?.

Have you been using these the last 2 years? how come they've not been shut down? I would have thought what they are doing is dodgy no?

More than 1 person cannot be logged into the same account at the same time. But other than that as long as each of you has login and PW you are good to go.

So in theory I could watch a game on my iPad and another on my computer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So in theory I could watch a game on my iPad and another on my computer?

No, only one login at a time, if you're logged in on your computer and you then login on ipad you will be logged out of the computer straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

JJ wrote: »
    I think I'll be going for Witopia. They don't have a trial but they do have a 30 day money back offer. I want to watch all the Giants games live or the next day and I don't want to have to subscribe to Sky Sports and Game Pass to be able to do that.

Anyone know if you get a VPN from Witopia is your internet speed reduced in any way? This would be a drawback if you wanted to watch gamepass.

fisgon wrote: »
    Anyone know if you get a VPN from Witopia is your internet speed reduced in any way? This would be a drawback if you wanted to watch gamepass.

I used witopa for Netflix to get the American version and never had a problem with speed. That's not to say it won't happen for this though.

U mean like that flashsportsstreams you mentioned?.

Have you been using these the last 2 years? how come they've not been shut down? I would have thought what they are doing is dodgy no?

Yep, FlashSportsStreams is the one I use, however, there are others. Oatsey off here has found one he's very happy with and they've said they will show NFL, and others on the soccer forum like LiveOnlineFooty but they don't show Sky Sports all day every day like Flash do.

Yeah I've been using them for the last two seasons. As a Sunderland fan not many of our games are on Sky, but I've only missed 2 games live over the last 2 seasons thanks to Flash. I also watched every week of NFL action on Sky last year on the same site and numerous boxing, golf events etc.

I've got no idea why the haven't been shut down yet to be honest. I think that their main server is based in a country that the powers that be haven't been able to bring a court case against yet and there's been a few court cases brought against pubs showing these games when they're not supposed to be but as of yet the powers that be haven't won a case yet, it's something to do with EU law that I don't know much about.

Of course they could probably be shut down in the morning but they've been fine for the last 2 years at least and at the end of the day for €40 I'll take my chances :)

Easy enough to route gamepass through a european proxy if you just want to get around the blackouts, I use Tor+foxyproxy and it will route gamepass through Spain or wherever for those games on sky or the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

adrian522 wrote: »
    Easy enough to route gamepass through a european proxy if you just want to get around the blackouts, I use Tor+foxyproxy and it will route gamepass through Spain or wherever for those games on sky or the playoffs.

You use Tor for video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Don't forget that those who are not renewing will need to contact Gamepass support by email or live chat to cancel their auto-renewal.

Masked Man wrote: »
    You use Tor for video?

Setup similar to this, though obviously don't use UK proxies like you would for BBC iplayer.

http://hurwi.net/blog/?p=28

Found this post, might be helpful to some fans of specific teams wondering whether it's worth it to get GamePass or not:
    Just to get an idea on the blackouts, these are the number of times teams were shown on Sky during the 6 and 9 pm slots last season, obviously this does not mean it will be the same this year but it does at least give an indicator.

For almost a quarter of the teams (7/32) at least 4 games, a quarter of the season, were subject to blackouts.

NY Giants 8
    Philadelphia 5
    Chicago 4
    Cincinnati 4
    Green Bay 4
    New England 4
    Tampa Bay 4
    Atlanta 3
    Carolina 3
    Minnesota 3
    NY Jets 3
    Pittsburgh 3
    Dallas 2
    Denver 2
    Detroit 2
    New Orleans 2
    Oakland 2
    Washington 2
    Baltimore 1
    Buffalo 1
    Cowboys 1
    Houston 1
    Jacksonville 1
    San Diego 1
    San Francisco 1
    Tennessee 1

Surprised to see the Ravens only had 1 game blacked out due to Sky (the season opening V Steelers), I had a feeling I watched more than one of our games on Sky last year, but I must have just miscalculated that as I watched the rest of them on streams. I honestly can't recall the Giants being shown as many as 8 times either. My memory is going downhill :pac: I do think there should be a maximum amount of times Sky can show a team live though, imagine being a Giants fan last season, paying your €200 (or whatever it was last year) for GamePass, and then not having live access to half the games!

This season I would expect Denver (Peyton Manning interest), Washington (RGIII interest), and Jets (Tebow) to be shown more with teams such as Bengals, Buccs and Vikings dropping down a bit.

I still haven't pulled the trigger and bought it myself (trying to keep money for other things for a few weeks) but I'm 90% sure I'll get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

I'm at odds with myself as to wehter or not I should get gamepass this season,

I don't have Skysports( too expensive)

, last few seasons have been watching( or should I say trying to watch) the Bears games on streaming websites , but these websites can be so fechin frustrating ,

Decisions decisions

Advertisement