Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Bodacious wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards agreeing with this statement ... Have seen nothing to write home about from AZL
    I used him (AZL) on one cow last year hoping he'd improve on FHZ and add more muscle. He didn't, disappointed with him. Calf is very growthy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭limo_100

pakalasa wrote: »
    I used him (AZL) on one cow last year hoping he'd improve on FHZ and add more muscle. He didn't, disappointed with him. Calf is very growthy though.

did you find AZL calves started very small before growing. I have one AZL calf and im fairly happy with her( i put up a picture in the photo thread of her a couple of weeks ago). What are you gona put on the cow dis year pak? I used KYR instead of him

I used ADX this year on the same cow, from what I remember. Maybe get a replacement. I've stopped using BB's on the plainer cows. They just don't bring the muscle.

I used ADX this year on the same cow, from what I remember. Maybe get a replacement. I've stopped using BB's on the plainer cows. They just don't bring the muscle.

i had an ADX calf form a small blue second calver i have to say im very impressed nice stylish calf with very defined muscleing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I've stopped using BB's on the plainer cows. They just don't bring the muscle.

+1

Great statement... unless muscle on cow side also you are better off with a good heavy yellow or white farmers calf for selling than a middle-of -the- road blue not good enough for the boat, too many people myself included expecting too much from the sire:(

• Advertisement

limo_100 wrote: »
    did you find AZL calves started very small before growing. I have one AZL calf and im fairly happy with her( i put up a picture in the photo thread of her a couple of weeks ago). What are you gona put on the cow dis year pak? I used KYR instead of him

only 2 from him here but have seen loads and nothing serious anyway, heifer calf was a sprat when calved but developed well, will be tall and prob make a tall breeding heifer but no major muscle, bull calf was the opposite.. born big and had great hopes for him but he wont be anything special either again tall and square behind but no serious muscle to him.. will post pics soon

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

only 2 from him here but have seen loads and nothing serious anyway, heifer calf was a sprat when calved but developed well, will be tall and prob make a tall breeding heifer but no major muscle, bull calf was the opposite.. born big and had great hopes for him but he wont be anything special either again tall and square behind but no serious muscle to him.. will post pics soon

We had 2 BB bulls from AZL off 2 Limousin cows this year and they are smashers! Not extreme muscle but serious enough. Our AI man said he is bringing great calves.
    Its mad/frustrating how bulls vary. I'm sure yourself and Pakalasa have as good, if not better cows than us, so its hard to understand the variation. Dad was so happy with the calves he gave AZL to the first 6 cows we bulled this year!
    I posted pics of them 2 months or so ago - will get the Iphone out this weekend again and post a few pics of them now on the Farming Photo thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

anyone else using sultan as recommend by our resident blue expert legwax?

Seaba wrote: »
    We had 2 BB bulls from AZL off 2 Limousin cows this year and they are smashers! Not extreme muscle but serious enough. Our AI man said he is bringing great calves.
    Its mad/frustrating how bulls vary. I'm sure yourself and Pakalasa have as good, if not better cows than us, so its hard to understand the variation. Dad was so happy with the calves he gave AZL to the first 6 cows we bulled this year!
    I posted pics of them 2 months or so ago - will get the Iphone out this weekend again and post a few pics of them now on the Farming Photo thread.

just wondering seaba how your CVV calf went on after? will you use him again?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

i used him on heifers last year
    very easy calved
    not show quality calves,but they are all u grade cales

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

badshot wrote: »
    i used him on heifers last year
    very easy calved
    not show quality calves,but they are all u grade cales
    what type of cows, lims?

what type of cows, lims?

i think STQ is challenged height wise so you would want fairly tall cows for him

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

limo_100 wrote: »
    just wondering seaba how your CVV calf went on after? will you use him again?

I'll put a pic of him up also! Was happy enough when he was born, although I knew he would be a bit leggy. He is still tall and a bit light but reasonable muscle. Our cows are on bare enough grass at the moment (long story) so if he was on good grass with the additional milk he would be better. Will put the pic up and let you decide! We had twins out him last year, from a heifer, and they are lovely cattle however.
    Our AI man, and the local VET!, both said recently that CVV is hard calved however?! The Vet in particular said he has been called out to big pulls/c- sections from CVV and he said he never 'follows' AI bulls but he knows CVV by now. Thought that was strange enough as he not down as hard calved and we had no trouble with him. Maybe lads giving him to heifers, I don't know.

Seaba wrote: »
    I'll put a pic of him up also! Was happy enough when he was born, although I knew he would be a bit leggy. He is still tall and a bit light but reasonable muscle. Our cows are on bare enough grass at the moment (long story) so if he was on good grass with the additional milk he would be better. Will put the pic up and let you decide! We had twins out him last year, from a heifer, and they are lovely cattle however.
    Our AI man, and the local VET!, both said recently that CVV is hard calved however?! The Vet in particular said he has been called out to big pulls/c- sections from CVV and he said he never 'follows' AI bulls but he knows CVV by now. Thought that was strange enough as he not down as hard calved and we had no trouble with him. Maybe lads giving him to heifers, I don't know.

thats strange alrite. we had twins out of him last week poor enough calves tbh small but sure they will come. I used him on a couple of cows this year as well. Were finding this year to be very hard on calfs anyway. Where getting it hard to bring them on its a pain and we have very little ground left until the silage is cut

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

what type of cows, lims?

lims

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

we use CVV as much as possible with great results off low cows his heifers are ideal for calving young with plenty milk . have a 10 month old bull out of a small black lim cow reakon his nearly 500kg will know tuesday he going to ennis.... I wouldnt chance CVV on heifers

IMAG0077.jpgIMAG0070.jpg CVV weanling and his mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Thats a flaking bull. Good luck with him on Tuesday. You will have a few lads drooling at the ring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Figerty wrote: »
    Thats a flaking bull. Good luck with him on Tuesday. You will have a few lads drooling at the ring!

Smashing calf alright.
    A cow that breeds well like that is the cow to be keeping replacements off.

the cow is getting the road too , we have her 4 years not a bother with her until about 3-4 months ago she gone stone mad roaring like a bull all day everyday pawing the ground breaking into heifers ....lately shes started coming to the fence roaring when she sees you coming so shes off .she scanned empty (t.g) vet reakons she has cystic ovaries and hormone imbalance is driving her mad..............................sounds like a few women I work with ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

we have 6 calves outa him not overly impressed here!We have one super calf alrite but on the whole dissappointed. 3 of the mothers of these calves had sfl calves last year and i'd without question rate sfl above stq. We won't be using him again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Mikeoh
    Great bull. He's bigger than his cow! Good luck on Tuesday, let us know how you get on ;)

just do it wrote: »
    Mikeoh
    Great bull. He's bigger than his cow! Good luck on Tuesday, let us know how you get on ;)

480kg......1265euro........I think the bubble starting to pop!!!!

2 pictures posted on photo thread

Limousin bull, AHZ - Achile.
    Has anyone used him and what did you think of him? He's with NCBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Limousin bull, AHZ - Achile.
    Has anyone used him and what did you think of him? He's with NCBC.

As far as i know there are no straws available of AHZ. He only produced usable semen for a short time. Dont know anyone with his calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

They couldnt get any straws out of him in france but he was brought back to Ireland and the Irish lads must be whispering sweet nothings into his ear because he's producing now!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

They couldnt get any straws out of him in france but he was brought back to Ireland and the Irish lads must be whispering sweet nothings into his ear because he's producing now!:D
    thats our irish girls for ya,they would get anything to rise:D

Any feedback from farmers, good or bad?

• Advertisement

did they ever get the hereford bull FHW to produce yet?

Advertisement