Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your current / planned brews

• 03-07-2012 2:00pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

So what have you got on the go right now? Anything planned for the near future?

Currently I have a ridiculous amount of stuff fermenting:
    30L apple cider from lidl "cloudy apple juice"
    18L apple and raspberry cider from lidl cloudy apple juice + blended raspberries
    23L pinot grigio (for my wife)
    16L pear cider from juiced pears
    9L elderflower champagne
    4L cherry turbo cider (got cherry juice in lidl)
    4L pineapple turbo cider
    4L "tropical" turbo cider

I'm planning to do a large batch of apple cider from apples when the autumn rolls around (hopefully in the 150-200L range.

Also planning to do some apple and blackberry cider when blackberry season rolls around.

Would love to hear what others have on the go or are planning. Might inspire me. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Choc stout shortly.

Put it away then for midwinter. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

I went a bit mad and built a two tier system, I have brewed every weeknd since I bought it, To the extent I have the following

Primary- Weiss Beer & Blonde Ale
    Secondary- German Pilsner & DoppelBock- ( both will be ready to keg in ten days)

Keg1- Weiss Beer about half left
    Keg2- Yankee Lager, still full
    Keg3- Belgian Blonde, 3/4 Full
    Keg4- Chocolate Stout- Full

I have 40 bottles of irish Red Ale, that is majorly hoppy and needs time to mellow down, plus 80 odd misc bottles of various stuff I brewed.

I need to get more friends as I have too much beer at the minute!!!

Talk about first world problems!!

• Only recently started brewing but I've just bottled 23lL of coopers pilsner. I have a coopers wheat beer fermenting now. I'm going to do the coopers IPA when the wheat beer is bottled.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't usually brew during the summer but currently have a Cooper's IPA kit fementing. It's to be bottled at the brew class* on Saturday.

I have lots of Nelson Sauvin I need to use in something in the near-ish future. I also have last year's cherry crop in the freezer, with a view to doing a cherry porter.

*transparent excuse for slave labour

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't usually brew during the summer

Any particular reason?

I like the slave labour. You should put that in the hassle saver thread. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Khannie wrote: »
    Any particular reason?
    I don't have any temperature-control tech and I don't trust my fermentarium* to stay at beer-friendly temperatures.

*spare room

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Eddieken

Have a Kolsch in primary and a Berliner weisse. Planning on doing another Kolsch this weekend (reuse the yeast).
    Have a keg of Coopers wheat beer, Pear cider kit, All grain Weisse, American wheat beer and US pale ale. Supping on the first two at the moment.
    Keep finding bottles in presses as well with no markings:confused:, just have to try them and see if i remember which beer it was;)

Eddieken wrote: »
    Pear cider kit

Which kit did you go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Haha, I'm still only getting into the whole rythem of brewing:

Currently Bubbling:
    • Cloudy Cider batch 1
    • Cloudy Cider batch 2 (trial run with finings)
    • Coopers Stout

Planned (Ingredients got)
    • Mead
    • Pear Cider (using a kit)

Although evertime I read a thread/blog I want to do more... :-\ I had elderflower wine last weekend, brilliant stuff, ended up having a full bottle to myself - lovely stuff! Really must try make it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I have 20 litres of elderflower champagne in bottles(less a couple for tasing).

50 litres of the same in fermentors,still bubbling after two weeks.

25 litres of alcoholic ginger beer fermenting.

10 litres of 25% neutral spirit,some in bottles with fruit,some flavoured with "gin esscence" and some waiting on my blackcurrant harvest.

Another 10 litres of the same Turbo spirit(started yesterday) for my plum harvest a little later on.

20 litres of Coopers IPA in bottles(it needs more time)

20 litres of another ale which i cant remember the name of in fermentor waiting on me to wash the bottles to put it in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Eddieken

Which kit did you go with?

Finlandia pear cider, it's okay but I had brewbuddy pear cider before and i thought it was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

Coopers Wheat Beer
    Mix Fruit Wine
    2 x Ginger Beer
    in fermenter

Bottled today Apple Cider(10.9%) and Pineapple wine(11.6%)

On order California Connoisseur Johannisberg Riesling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Vaguely planned: Mead, barley wine, gorse wine.

Brewing: Nuffin', just finished the ginger beer. Good stuff too.

Confab wrote: »
    gorse wine.

Unusual sounding. Have you had this before? I might branch out into trying stuff like that while the option is available. Not entirely sure where I'd get gorse around here though but I'll start keeping an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Currently have bottled a Munton's IPA - Higher Ranks Reserve - which should be ready for drinking in 2.5 weeks.
    Toying with the idea of sticking on a Coopers Sparkling Ale pretty soon, but don't currently have the available bottles for it, so better wait a week or two, so I can get a head-start on the IPA, or start buying lots of swing-tops. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I have Coopers IPA in bottles and plan on a hopped to hell west coast style IPA next followed by a winter stout. Not going near bottles again, going the keg route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Have a few bottles of extract wheat beer left. Nice, but not really the weiss flavour I wanted. Pity its hard to get specific strains sometimes.

The ingredients for my all grain oatmeal stout arrived yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Coppers Irish stout with black treacle & brown sugar (couple of bottles left)
    Coppers pilsner with saz hops and golden syrup (2 weeks matured)
    23 liters of Brupaks CRAFTMAN stout extract kit (in secondary a few days)
    5 liters of cherry juice concrete wine (simple yeast and sugar and water)
    20 Liters of oz table red (just finished)
    20 liters of oz chardonnay (5 bottles left)

25kg of maris otter arriving with 7 hop varieties to try out some smash beers in the coming months. will be all gallon batches I reckon.

Great thread got me inspired again.

we should have a favorite recipes thread (sticky) tried and tested and delicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

bottled: porter/cider/wheat beer.
    brewing: a pale ale
    planning: thinking of giving all grain a shot so will start with a stout, maybe a coffee stout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

TomCo wrote: »
    Have a few bottles of extract wheat beer left. Nice, but not really the weiss flavour I wanted. Pity its hard to get specific strains sometimes.

WLP300 is the single best commercial weiss yeast around, that or grown up some yeast from Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen like is did below

Here is a rough guide on how I cultured up the yeast

20g of spray malt boiled in 200ml water, the dregs of two bottles of kellerweis
    Where added when cooled. These where chilled so as to sediment as much yeast as possible.
    6799c5ae-df3c-43be-a85e-acba9fbddb7a.jpg

Yeast added and let get to work
    3fd8143a-0e6b-4363-b443-92f6ee13ef34.jpg

It took around 3-4 days to see activity but it took off. This was then pitched into a step up starter (1 litre) that will be split in two, one for storage and another to produce a starter to brew with.
    2e799fa6-7a5b-459c-94a0-0972edbf235f.jpg

Starter for the week going well
    b23709f4-d90b-434e-84c3-ad1315ec380a.jpg

Pitched and fermenting well, this actual keep going and over spilled like an number of hefe yeasts I have used before.
    d1420840-4a0a-4097-ba0d-e682402a8716.jpg[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭covey09

After the arrival of the latest addition to the family in Jan my brews todate have been a disaster to say the least.
    Cider kit and juice brewed in Jan bottled in Mar. Had little or no carbonation, I reckon the Yeat may have settled out and were not present for carbonating the bottles so I have to dump the lot- I like bubbles
    Coopers Heritage Larger brewed Mar bottled in may. I decided to stir the fermented (Don’t do 2nf racking at the mo) this is currently bottled and is still very cloudy I tried one bottled and it didn’t look drinkable or very well carbonated.
    At the moment I have Cooper IPA dry hopped it today and will def bottling this one next week. And one any I deas for a nice strong export type larger for kit form and willing to try other than coopers

oblivious wrote: »
    WLP300 is the single best commercial weiss yeast around, that or grown up some yeast from Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen

Thanks, I actually did use WLP300. It ended up almost exactly like a Schneider Weisse T7 even down to the colour!
    Unfortunately I'm not a huge SW fan.

I'd kill for some Wyeast 3068, might culture some from a Weihenstephaner hefe.

Where did you get the Erlenmeyer flask btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Thanks, I actually did use WLP300. It ended up almost exactly like a Schneider Weisse T7 even down to the colour!
    Unfortunately I'm not a huge SW fan.

I'd kill for some Wyeast 3068, might culture some from a Weihenstephaner hefe.

Where did you get the Erlenmeyer flask btw?

WLP300 and Wyeast 3068 are both Weihenstephan 68 strain, a single culture of S. delbrueckii, just different producers

I got the erlenmeyer flask from Hop and grape i believe http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/catalog.asp

oblivious wrote: »
    WLP300 and Wyeast 3068 are both Weihenstephan 68 strain, a single culture of S. delbrueckii, just different producers

Really? That's interesting.
    I might try fermenting a few deg lower next time, I had a fairly steady 18c last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I need to get more friends as I have too much beer at the minute!!!

Talk about first world problems!!

Let people know you have too much beer, the problem tends to solve itself.

IME industrious brewers never want for company.

Degsy wrote: »
    I have 20 litres of elderflower champagne in bottles(less a couple for tasing).

50 litres of the same in fermentors,still bubbling after two weeks.

This has been poking me in the brain since I saw it. 70L!!! I only have about 8-9 on the go but I'm a first timer. I'm wondering should I make more while there are still flowers around. Is it that amazing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This has been poking me in the brain since I saw it. 70L!!! I only have about 8-9 on the go but I'm a first timer. I'm wondering should I make more while there are still flowers around. Is it that amazing?

I think the lowers are pretty much finished now..you may still see some but the main flush is over with.

I made loads of the stuff because its very much a seasonal summer drink..i love it although some of my friends dont agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

Where did you get the Erlenmeyer flask btw?/QUOTE]
    Homebrewwest will get you an erlenmeyer from the brouwland website at brouwland prices

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Going to do 20L of amber ale hopped with Brewer's Gold and Centennial hops, will be my first dry hop, 1 oz of each of them.

• Advertisement

Started making my manifold tonight.
    Hopefully I have everything complete to start brewing on Sunday!

Advertisement