Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The CIMA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Honestly there's a lot of work involved, and I got a lot of exemptions from my degree. Sometimes I wonder if I restricted myself too much by choosing CIMA rather than ACCA/CPA etc. but I like management accounting more than regular accounting. For a long time I found it hard to break into, the classic "can't get a job without experience, can't get experience without a job" but now that I'm working in management accounting, I love every day of it so it is worth it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alan_b

Hi exd/kilburn, still got those books to sell?!

Looking for the most recent (2011) cima certificate course material and exam practice kits for all five subjects, if anyone has any to sell please let me know?

Based in Dublin.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CuriousGeorge10

Hey everyone,

I've just started with cima 2 weeks ago, i've got my exemptions from C01-C05,P1,P2 and F1 so i'm thinking of sitting E1,E2 and F2 to try and get straight into the final exams next November. Could anyone give me any advice on what online website I should study with online? Also, is anyone selling any study materials for E1,E2 or F2? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 alan_b

exd wrote: »
    I've got some books for sale for the CIMA Certificate in Business Accounting:Brand New (never taken out of box).

C03 Fundamentals of Business Mathematics
    C04 Fundamentals of Business Economics
    Plus the exam practice kits & revision cards for each module.

Price: €80
    Hi there,are these books still for sale by any chance?! Would like to do a deal if they are..thanks,alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ledhi

hi George.

I have E1 & F2 books & study material. I just finished with them in November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just a reminder to anyone doing the Cert in Business Accounting that if you want to sit professional qualifiaction exams in May, you must have your exams completed by the 1st March

• Registered Users Posts: 4 macattack1987

Hi there, i'm thinking of doing the CIMA qualification. My background is in economics and I have a masters in business management from UCD. Course modules include; economics, accounting, strategic management, operations and supply chain, corporate finance, HR management and organisational behaviour. Do you think i will get many exemptions?

any response would be greatly appreciated!

Log on to the CIMA website and enter your course in the exemption section and it will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

hi Kilburn

Im in trasnfer agency in the IFSC. work will pay for either CIMA or ACCA.
    I have asked around work -more people doing ACCA exams but wanted to ask would a CIMA subjects/qualification be more mgt/business orientated?

I dont get any exemptions from CIMA but am exempt from F1-3, F5 & F9 for ACCA.

Is there any shops that sell CIMA books i could look through to get an idea how hard it work be or amount of workload?

Hi Paddy, It really depends where you see yourself going and what hopes you have for your career. If you want to be in accounting or more business focused un my opinion CIMA is ideal for the latter. You learn how to do the fundamentals but then you have to show that you understand it and can apply it in analysis situations although I am sure the other professional qualifications have similar.
    You are exempt from the certificate i presume C01-C05?

Anyone got E1, P1 or F1 for sale?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jeremyfisher

When you get to TOPCIMA, there's a really good support website here:

TOPCIMA

This is worth checking out before deciding what books etc you'll need for TOPCIMA as it's such a different type of paper.

How many people here are sitting exams in May?
    What level?
    Maybe try to organise a few study groups?

How are we all fixed for the exams?
    I have to get stuck in, is anyone doing the revision seminars in Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Good luck to all doing exams this week. Hopefully my exam on Thursday will be the last one I ever do!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 brianmul189

zootroid wrote: »
    Good luck to all doing exams this week. Hopefully my exam on Thursday will be the last one I ever do!

Best of luck man!

Let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Hi guys

I thought I’d up this thread rather than starting a new one. I’ve recently registered as a student and I am ready to get stuck into the papers. I’ve enjoyed reading the student profiles on the CIMA website, so I thought it would be interesting if people here shared their backgrounds. Some questions which come to mind are below - If anyone else has other questions they’ like to add let me know and I’ll edit the original post to include them

Questions

What stage of your CIMA studies are you at currently?
    If finished, how long did it take you?
    What method of study did you go with? Tuition, homestudy?
    What line of work are you in?
    Has CIMA helped you progress in your career? New role? Promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

statss wrote: »
    Hi guys

I thought I’d up this thread rather than starting a new one. I’ve recently registered as a student and I am ready to get stuck into the papers. I’ve enjoyed reading the student profiles on the CIMA website, so I thought it would be interesting if people here shared their backgrounds. Some questions which come to mind are below - If anyone else has other questions they’ like to add let me know and I’ll edit the original post to include them

Questions

Good idea.

My own story:
    Have just finished, sat TOPCIMA in May (T4 part b), got my result a couple of weeks ago and passed
    Started the certificate in September '06, then the CIMA exams proper in May '07. Took a break from May '08 until May '10 though as I went travelling.
    Started off with homestudy, but hated it. Found it difficult to read something, understand it, and learn it while maintaining interest at the same time. Quickly learned that tuition was the way to go
    Have spent most of my time working for a large FMCG, but have also spent short periods of time working for other companies on short term contracts (ranging from 3 months to 9 months). Currently working for a software engineering company, probably the most enjoyable job so far.
    Not really as I haven't spent long enough working in a company to be promoted, and gaining promotion whilst not being qualified would be difficult anyway. Most of the accountants I deal with in my organisation are CIMA though, and my boss has since told me his preference was to higher a CIMA accountant when they were recruiting. So maybe from that point of view it was more beneficial to me than had I chosen another qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Currently waiting impatiently on my membership application! Applied over 2 weeks ago and it was verified within 3 days.

To any students out there submit your practical experience for assessment as soon as you can.

It's awful waiting for the final email when you have all the exams done!

I'm a CIMA member now. Woooohooo!

Passed my exams too

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    Passed my exams too

Well done. If you haven't already had your experience assessed give the Dublin office a shout. Found them to be very helpful with it. I'd be a nervous enough person so I wanted make sure everything was in order.....the thoughts of having to apply a second time were too much.

Have a few more exams to go yet but thanks for the tip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Griffith College are now offering CIMA

http://www.gcd.ie/cima-time-tables/

R
    Griffith College are now offering CIMA

http://www.gcd.ie/cima-time-tables/

Thats great news for students. CIMA students now have real options/choices.

I strongly recommend John Riordan for the Business Strategy (or whatever it's called now) paper. Really good lecturer with an awful lot of real world knowledge and examples - makes a class very interesting. Haven't any experience of the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ticketsforsale

Hi all, Im currently a solicitor looking to move out of law/maybe broaden my cv and was considering cima/cfa/mba. Ive kind of settled on cima, will be working full time with no study leave per se. Just wondering do people have any pointers / whats the best tuition provider, DBS / Griffith /BPP? How do people find the cima material? Many thanks

Griffith are new to CIMA but some of the lecturers has vast experience from BPP. DBS is good too. I can't say I found either college better than another. I found some lecturers suited me better than others. I preferred the bPP revision weekends, in DBS they had 3 three revisions day spread out over the term.

I was nine years doing my CIMA exams while working in industry and I only ever got 1 day study leave plus the day of the exam as part of my study package. Minimal study leave is normal for CIMA students but the other side of it is that the pay is better than students in practice.

Best of luck with it anyway. Plenty of advice on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

Www.ic-bf.com sent me an email today to say they're doing CIMA classes in city centre.
    Couldn't see where in city centre tho, unless they updated their website since!
    Seems to be ex BPP lecturers

Woohoo got a letter 5th in Ireland in E1 not bad for home study !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CHLuke

Hi all,

My work involves some very basic project 'accounting': basically cost calculations and some grant management, so I thought the Cert. in Business Accounting might be useful to have.

Could anybody give an indication of how difficult the Certificate might be for somebody with no academic business or accounting quals.?

Also, how long should it take?

(I have BA, MA, Postgrad Dip. but all 'Arty' subjects)

Thanks,
    CHLuke

• Advertisement

CHLuke wrote: »
    Hi all,

My work involves some very basic project 'accounting': basically cost calculations and some grant management, so I thought the Cert. in Business Accounting might be useful to have.

Could anybody give an indication of how difficult the Certificate might be for somebody with no academic business or accounting quals.?

Also, how long should it take?

Thanks,
    CHLuke

I'd say you'd fly through it. It is quite basic stuff. The hardest part is juggling work with study which takes time to get used to. Finding time especially if you have a family to consider is the biggest challenge.

Advertisement