Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

D'Angelo European tour!

Options
  • 24-11-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Haven't really heard a lot about this, but D'Angelo is playing his first shows in ten years (or something like that)....

Thu Jan 26 - Filadelfiakyrkan Stockholm, Sweden
    Fri Jan 27 - VEGA Copenhagen
    Sun Jan 28 - Le Zénith Paris
    Mon Jan 30 - Paradiso Amsterdam (with T. Mills)
    Tue Jan 31 - Paradiso Amsterdam
    Fri Feb 3 - O2 Academy Brixton London

I can only make it to one of the Copenhagen or Paris shows and all of my friends think I'm mad...if there's any boardsies who fancy a D'Angelo-related road trip let me know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

whats he like now, piled on the weight at one point, seemed disinterested.

ridiculous this guy has been so inactive for so long, hes put out some great material.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmmaAstra

YumCha wrote: »
    Haven't really heard a lot about this, but D'Angelo is playing his first shows in ten years (or something like that)....

Thu Jan 26 - Filadelfiakyrkan Stockholm, Sweden
    Fri Jan 27 - VEGA Copenhagen
    Sun Jan 28 - Le Zénith Paris
    Mon Jan 30 - Paradiso Amsterdam (with T. Mills)
    Tue Jan 31 - Paradiso Amsterdam
    Fri Feb 3 - O2 Academy Brixton London

I can only make it to one of the Copenhagen or Paris shows and all of my friends think I'm mad...if there's any boardsies who fancy a D'Angelo-related road trip let me know!

Yus, with bells on! Excited he's back :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

Looks like plenty of live footage it starting the materialise now the tour started.

I read on okayplayer before Christmas that there may be a single in Feb and the LP in March.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Love that interview - and the video outtake of him jamming on guitar:
    http://www.gq.com/video/videos/dangelo-video

He's also playing the North Sea Jazz Festival in Rotterdam in July...amazing lineup!!

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Yeah, I check with Okayplayer all the time to see whats happening.
    Some idiot from Guardian who clearly wants a job in the Daily Mail did an article on that article harnessing the Samantha Brick outrage. It draws out the "proud to be ignorant" people. If they don't know who an artist is, don't say it as a badge of ignorance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/27/hephzibah-anderson-dangelo-male-sex-object

From the GQ article..

“One time I got mad when a female threw money at me onstage, and that made me feel like f-cked-up, and I threw the money back at her. I was like, ‘I’m not a stripper.’

"I let slip that I've heard about another new song he's written called "Back." I just want to go back, baby / Back to the way it was, it goes. And then: I know you're wondering where I've been / Wondering 'bout the shape I'm in / I hope it ain't my abdomen."

Clearly the "untitled" video was a great publicity stunt and in turn attracted a new and unwanted audience that would scream throughout the show. D'angelo has a band. They are proper musicians, not a entertainment show where a singer sings and dances with a DJ playing the instrumentals too loud to even hear the singers.

I find it sad when I see R&B singers like Jodeci or Jaheim having to do these awful pop shows, their voices wasted. This time round with D'angelo it's going to be more guitar based so there no danger with confusing him with Usher.

So they're now guessing September to qualify for the Grammys. Well I'm too old to care about Dre's Detox anymore. I can wait for this though.

New article in Rolling Stone.
    Questlove: New D'Angelo Album Will Be 'A Radical 180 Turn

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/questlove-new-dangelo-album-will-be-a-radical-180-turn-20120618#ixzz1yM3ELUae

Not surprise really. Remember when voodoo came out? This Eric Clapton bit :eek:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YU1CS_NKhlM#t=367s

ps
    The closet D'angelo-esque song I've ever heard. I got the cd a few years ago. Someone has posted it on yt. Seriously you could a fool a few people with this one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

D'Angelo performed with The Roots over the weekend, I expect to see more of that in the oming months leading up to his album release.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    D'Angelo performed with The Roots over the weekend, I expect to see more of that in the oming months leading up to his album release.

Yeah, I got the audio from it somwhere. I don't know where I put it at he moment. Hoping for a soundboard recording of this tour. The recording of Stockholm, Sweden 2000 is grade A. I have only 2 songs from Live at Universal Amphitheatre 2000. These could have been sold officially.

I will be interesting to see how the new sound and new songs go.

D'angelo is making his coming at the BET awards tomorrow.
    http://www.okayplayer.com/news/dangelo-perform-bet-awards-1st-televised-10-years.html

Pretty much like Maxwell did with the Al Green Tribute.

I'll be tracking that down tomorrow.

Advertisement