Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrannosaurus Rex VRS Megalodon

• 27-06-2012 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Who do you think would win?

Let's say there both in water, just enough for the Megalodon to swim in and not enough to drown the Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Both the Megalodon and the T Rex are in there prime.

Trex1.jpg

shark-teeth-4.jpg

I think the Megalodon would tear the T Rex apart.

Tyrannosaurus Rex VRS Megalodon- Who Wins 23 votes

Tyrannosaurus Rex wins
    0% 0 votes
    Megalodon wins
    21% 5 votes
    Draw
    78% 18 votes

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If there's enough water for Megaladon to swim then I'm pretty sure they would have a slight advantage.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

This is a bit like asking who would win between a colossal squid and a gorilla, assuming the fight is somewhere there's just enough jungle for the gorilla to walk around in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If there's enough water for Megaladon to swim then I'm pretty sure they would have a slight advantage.........

There's just enough room for the Megalodon to swim.

This is a bit like asking who would win between a colossal squid and a gorilla, assuming the fight is somewhere there's just enough jungle for the gorilla to walk around in.

Not quite, the Tyrannosaurus Rex could actually swim for short distances.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

how about these guys ?

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/prehistoric/tylosaurus/
    Tylosaurus grew more than 45 feet (14 meters) long, making it the largest of the marine reptiles called mosasaurs.

This one gets bonus points for brains
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livyatan_melvillei
    Unlike the modern sperm whale, Physeter macrocephalus, L. melvillei had functional teeth in both its jaws.[2] The jaws of L. melvillei were robust and its temporal fossa was also considerably larger than in the modern-age sperm whale.[2] L. melvillei is one of the largest raptorial predators yet known, with whale experts using the phrase "the biggest tetrapod bite ever found" to explain their find

wait till we find his big brother , someday...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunkleosteus
    not as big as the others but the tiny brain might make this a fish without fear
    and worst bite ever, take chunks out of you without having to tear it off
    also gets bonus points for toughest skull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Y'know, the forum has been going several years now and this is our first VRS thread...

mother-god-meme.jpg

PS:

42_full.jpg?1265142852

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I usually dislike VRS discussions, they get silly very quickly XD And this is a very unlikely match. I don´t doubt T-Rex could swim to some extent (ostriches, cassowaries and emus can swim, after all), but there's a big chasm between being able to swim and being able to swim well enough to actually battle another animal IN the water. Polar bears can swim very well, yet they are said to be eaten by killer whales and Greenland sharks. Tigers are formidable predators and kill crocodiles with ease in land or shallow water, yet in deeper water they fall prey to large crocs themselves. Same goes for lions.

I think if Megalodon was able to swim, then it would easily win. It was much more massive than T-Rex. I think a better match would be Megalodon vs a large mosasaur or pliosaur, or even one of the very largest crocodilians. T-Rex vs Megalodon is just not a fair match.

In my head I imagine T. rex on land with megalodon 'flying' as if governed by water.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    In my head I imagine T. rex on land with megalodon 'flying' as if governed by water.

Unfortunately, if that was the case Megalodon would easily win as well :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thunderdome on the ISS ?

A large great white VRS a T-Rex would probably be fairer. T Rex is much bigger and it's bite would be around 3 times stronger but the shark would have the advantage with the water. Would be close.

Yeah a large GW like the 'Submariner' who was a 20 footer would be a better match. T. rex just wouldn't have the maneuverability and would be squashed easily be a megalodon.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yeah a large GW like the 'Submariner' who was a 20 footer would be a better match. T. rex just wouldn't have the maneuverability and would be squashed easily be a megalodon.

Are you talking about the South African GW called the Submarine? That was proven to be a hoax and the pic was doctored. It still gets reported in many sites as fact.

Having said that I have been in the water (in a cage) with some massive GWs that would be in the 18 foot bracket, maybe a little longer, who would have been 3,000lbs to 4,000lbs range, and I would have little doubt that if they were to attack a T Rex in a water depth that allowed the shark to manoeuvre, then the naturally aquatic creature would win every time.

If we totally discount the fact that a predator like the GW would most likely
    be very wary of anything the size of a T-Rex in shallow water, I would see the shark winning with as little as one bite. One bite to the leg could send the T-Rex toppling over, and at that point it would be fair game to drown, die of shock, or die of blood loss.

A meg against T Rex in water would just be a horrible mismatch. The meg is too big and much too heavy for the Rex to even have a slim chance.

Kess73 wrote: »

If we totally discount the fact that a predator like the GW would most likely
    be very wary of anything the size of a T-Rex in shallow water, I would see the shark winning with as little as one bite. One bite to the leg could send the T-Rex toppling over, and at that point it would be fair game to drown, die of shock, or die of blood loss.

A meg against T Rex in water would just be a horrible mismatch. The meg is too big and much too heavy for the Rex to even have a slim chance.

This. Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Grey legion

Total mismatch.

The typical body mass listed for adult Tyrannosaurus is 6-7 tons.
    The typical body mass for megalodon is 50 metric tons. 7 to 8 times heavier than the dinosaur.
    According to a recent experiment, megalodon could engulf 30 square feet of organic substance in one bite.
    T. rex is absolutely no match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I think a better one would be who would win
    Titanaboa vs Sarcosuchus

Bit like anaconda vs a salty
    Be some battle as both are aquatic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think a better one would be who would win
    Titanaboa vs Sarcosuchus

Bit like anaconda vs a salty
    Be some battle as both are aquatic

Deinosuchus would probably be a better choice over a Sarcosuchus.

Would imagine it would boil down to whether or not the snake could maintain a constricting grip (assuming that it 100% hunted in that fashion) long enough to do enough damage to the croc or long enough to drown it before the croc got a clean bite in.

If the titanaboa was against a Deinosuchus, then I would favour the croc based on raw power, and crazy bite power. Would see this clash as being similar to what plays out now between fully grown salties and large constrictoirs.

As for the modern day clash, I would actually favour a big saltie as there are recorded cases of full sized adult salties killing full sized constrictors whereas most of the reported cases crocs/gators killed in modern times consist of a small to average sized croc/gator being attacked by a large constrictor.

I agree that the bite force will easily take over the snake but in modern day a 5 metre long saltie vs anaconda or retic should the snake get correct hold on the croc it'd be smothered
    After looking up on google there it's said that A green anaconda has a strength of 6kg/cm2 which means overall strength is 4000kg
    That's some strength
    Givin salty has to lock on and tear it to shreds but if the snake gets good hold its over

Or this could happen...

full.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Has to go to the megaldon, sure the tyranno has terrible reach with them tiny front arms, he'd never land a decent punch.

I know it's funny to slag off T. rex's small arms, but in a fist fight surely megalodon is even more screwed? :confused:

Unless he goes Mike Tyson style.

That's probably why trex was always angry
    Wouldn't you be if you were made so big with tiny little arms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

That's probably why trex was always angry
    Wouldn't you be if you were made so big with tiny little arms :)
    I'd say he finds press ups murder.
    'come at me megalo!'
    'do you even lift bro? '

I'd say he finds press ups murder.
    'come at me megalo!'
    'do you even lift bro? '
    Probably even more annoyed on them cold nights alone and can't even give himself a tug

We needs more polls. And stuff.

With likes of titanaboa vs giant croc or trex it'd come down to who gets who first
    For instance if trex walked past titanaboa and snake struck and coiled then trex is a goner
    But with croc and Rex if they got the snake first then prob paralyse it with one good bite and game over for snake

With likes of titanaboa vs giant croc or trex it'd come down to who gets who first
    For instance if trex walked past titanaboa and snake struck and coiled then trex is a goner
    But with croc and Rex if they got the snake first then prob paralyse it with one good bite and game over for snake

Agreed- I think the Titanoboa would have the best chance if it got a hold of the T-Rex's hindquarters (its leg or something) so that it could quickly coil around it and avoid the snapping jaws. I doubt T-Rex was flexible enough to reach its own hindquarters, like a carnivorous mammal would...

• Advertisement

Thinkin of gettin a snake
    Where would one get a titanaboa
    They seem cool :)

What bout Sarcosuchus vs spinosaurus
    Again probably depends on the ambush on who goes after who first

Advertisement