Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

• 26-06-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01k9pm3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2011/08_august/24/line.shtml
    Following one multi-stranded investigation over five hours, Line Of Duty sees Detective Sergeant Steve Arnott (Martin Compston) transferred to AC-12, a fictional anti-corruption unit, after a mistaken shooting during a counter-terrorist operation. Alongside Detective Constable Kate Fleming (Vicky McClure), they are assigned to lead an investigation into the alleged corruption by a popular and successful officer, Detective Chief Inspector Tony Gates (Lennie James). While Gates cleverly manipulates his unit's figures, DS Arnott questions whether Gates's being made a scapegoat for a culture of institutionalised spin, or is guilty of darker corruption?

Starts tonight at 10pm with Lennie James in a lead role (very underrated actor imo)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

At least Wimbledon didn't overrun so it should start on time tonight.

This is a notorious fortnight for Dramas scheduled on BBC, the schedules can be very fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Skid wrote: »
    At least Wimbledon didn't overrun so it should start on time tonight.

This is a notorious fortnight for Dramas scheduled on BBC, the schedules can be very fluid.

It actually starts at 9pm and not 10 as stated above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its no the wire Between the Lines, well not yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Did not think it was that good. Will continue to watch because it does have some potential and there is not too many episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I dont know how the little guy who looks like he's about 16 got recruited for the lead. He must be the smallest cop on TV. I though Adrian Dunbar was going to put him on his shoulder, or in his pocket.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Better second episode and a good twist at the end, didn't see that coming at all, didn't see the durtee phone call coming either! Bit cringe worthy.
    Acting is good, even Neill Morrissey isn't that annoying.
    I've a feeling Dunbars character is linked in with the dodgy property company in some way

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yeah it was better last night, esp the revelation about McKees character and what then happened at the end.

mike65 wrote: »
    Yeah it was better last night, esp the revelation about McKees character and what then happened at the end.

Good twist.
    The McKee character was getting a bit annoying. I suspect now she's gone, it'll get more into the politicking. There was a hint or 2 dropped in the first episode that the Dunbar character is up to something, and how she was murdered the night before the interview seems a bit too convenient.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

True that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Good finish to ep2. Wasn't expecting that at all. :eek:

One thing about the show is that the grunt work and bureaucracy has the smell of authenticity and would put off anyone thinking of joining the police. The Bill was never like this. :D

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Good finish to ep2. Wasn't expecting that at all. :eek:

One thing about the show is that the grunt work and bureaucracy has the smell of authenticity and would put off anyone thinking of joining the police. The Bill was never like this. :D

The "extra 6 pages of paperwork" line was very cold but funny! They also show how targets can be manipulated and some crimes ignored. Even the stereotypical estate is portrayed authentically, the young lad doing the drug running in particular.

Didn't think that episode was as entertaining but a clever change of direction. Sets up the the last 2 episodes nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

I liked that episode and the whole series so far.

Still not sure who's good and who's bad among the police though, although I'm rooting for Gates.

All will be revealed next week or maybe not.

As long as the charming little lad (Ryan?) gets his comeuppance, I don't care what happens to the rest of them.:mad:

I'm wondering whether he's based on someone who bullied the writer when he was a kid.

brian_t wrote: »
    I liked that episode and the whole series so far.

Still not sure who's good and who's bad among the police though, although I'm rooting for Gates.

All will be revealed next week or maybe not.

The politics is portrayed well, the showdown between Dunbar and the police head was excellent, Dunbar played it well but the tables were turned when Gates was put in charge of the Al Queda operation.

Very good series overall. Anybody know how Gates knew to look at the CCTV for the warehouse? I presume it was a Laverty Holdings building so that narrowed the list down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

K-9 wrote: »
    Anybody know how Gates knew to look at the CCTV for the warehouse?
    I think Gates was just trawling through the CCTV hoping to find the warehouse based on the distinctive windows and what he knew of the area i.e. beside a road, slightly underneath road-level. He obviously pulled an all-nighter before he struck lucky.

I thought Dunbar was the weak link in this series as he seemed a bit hammy to me in the earlier episodes but he played a blinder in the latest episode.
    And c'mon who isn't just a little happy to see the sanctimonious Arnett
    getting his fingers chopped
    ?

I can't wait to see Gates face when he realises Kate has been playing him all along.
    The best bit about this series is the tightrope it walks in terms of who you sympathise with most and who you most want to see "win".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

ejmaztec wrote: »
    As long as the charming little lad (Ryan?) gets his comeuppance, I don't care what happens to the rest of them.:mad:

I'm wondering whether he's based on someone who bullied the writer when he was a kid.

I really hope that little pri<k gets shot in the head next week. Or run over by Gates' Jag at the very least.

I really hope that little pri<k gets shot in the head next week. Or run over by Gates' Jag at the very least.

Too quick, they should spread the pain out over 6 more episodes., the little sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I think the point is Gates was a slightly bent but efficient copper at the start who manipulated his crime stats / played offside and used his rank to get a freebie for the kids. Now he's fully in the pocket of a gangster thanks to the efforts of the anti-corruption mob.
    I still have my suspicions about Adrian Dunbar's motives. How easy would it be for a lad from Northern Ireland to do a Scottish accent ?

• Advertisement

I think the point is Gates was a slightly bent but efficient copper at the start who manipulated his crime stats / played offside and used his rank to get a freebie for the kids. Now he's fully in the pocket of a gangster thanks to the efforts of the anti-corruption mob.
    I still have my suspicions about Adrian Dunbar's motives. How easy would it be for a lad from Northern Ireland to do a Scottish accent ?

It's probably 75% of the way there already.

The last episode cleared up my suspicions of his involvement. It's an excellent series that way, you never really know the motives behind the characters which leaves the final episode really open and genuinely very hard to tell what will happen. Gates genuinely seems to have just got caught up in a spiral of events from covering the initial hit and run up, one lie leading to another............

I'd have thought the wife will come into it more, that seemed to be settled a little too easily.

Last episode bump - and yes I hope the little scrote has a long painful exit!

Not enough Gates in the first half hour and Dunbar's character was wasted. Not a bad watch at all, but it seemed to be aspiring too much to a Luther dramatic ending. Could have done with a full 12/13 episode series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I always find it odd when they do those 'Mr. X was never prosecuted...' summaries on fictional programmes. Just add another episode and show it!

I always find it odd when they do those 'Mr. X was never prosecuted...' summaries on fictional programmes. Just add another episode and show it!

They seem to usually do 6 episodes for this kind of series, and it was odd to me that there were only 5. Perhaps the Beeb decided to cut costs by putting episode 6 in amongst the credits?

Didn't like the final revelation as it basically came out of nowhere and when you think about it, was a hell of a lot of work when easier routes to that end could have been taken.

The series has been a ratings success for BBC2 so a second is on the way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/25/line-of-duty-second-series

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

I enjoyed the series as a whole but I agree that the End captions were out of place.

I was also a bit surprised that none of the police batted an eyelid at Dots need to have a private word with the crime boss in the back of the van.

brian_t wrote: »
    I enjoyed the series as a whole but I agree that the End captions were out of place.

I was also a bit surprised that none of the police batted an eyelid at Dots need to have a private word with the crime boss in the back of the van.

I assumed they thought he was going to give him a few digs as he was part of Gates team.

Good to see it getting another series, enjoyed it over all.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Didn't like the final revelation as it basically came out of nowhere and when you think about it, was a hell of a lot of work when easier routes to that end could have been taken.

The series has been a ratings success for BBC2 so a second is on the way.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/25/line-of-duty-second-series

Highest ratings for a BBC2 drama apparently.

Second series starts this day week at 9pm. Interview with Martin Compston, a couple of spoilers in it so beware:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/02/03/line-of-duty-martin-compston-interview_n_4717755.html

Advertisement