Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Odeon Cinema Coolock, Overpriced or what?

• 18-06-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

I brought My sons to the cinema yesterday as a fathers day out.
    They wanted to see MIB III, so we checked the times for the Odeon in Coolock
    (Formerly UCI). I was a little surprised not to see any ticket prices
    ( They may have been on the website, But I couldn't find them)
    We don't usaley go to coolock but decided to give it a go,
    At first I was walking around like an eegit looking for a box office,
    When a small child told Me that "You Hafta uuse the Machine Mister".
    So over I go, Select the time and Movie, Then the price pops up....
    €39.60.... WTF? 2 Adults 2 Children €40??? This cant be right I said, So I rechecked,
    No Family option. This was the correct price, It was only 3 o'clock!!!
    So they are saving cash by having no box office but are charging this???
    I didn't bother to see the price of the popcorn, if the entry price was any reflection.
    So as a very overweight Minister for health told Us a few Years ago,
    I shoped around. I hoped into the car and went up to Omniplex Santry,
    One Family ticket €25.00!!!! No contest, I will never go to this rip off con job of a cinema again,
    Ill stick to the friendly faces and sticky carpets of the Omniplex.
    Am I overreacting ??

P.s. The Movie was OK, Just glad i didn't pay €40.00 to see it. :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Odeon do seem to like a premium for their name. €15 difference is something else. Are you comparing like with like, ie 2D with 2D etc?

I had planned on seeing TDKR up at the iSense. Maybe I need to rethink that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Odeon do seem to like a premium for their name. €15 difference is something else. Are you comparing like with like, ie 2D with 2D etc?

The Family ticket price is One price for all movies, I think Omniplex charge extra for the 3d Glasses, But I have a glove-box full of the things so I always bring My own to all cinemas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Actually on the website a family ticket is €32 for a 3d film this includes the prices of the glasses, it is cheaper if you bring your own. Also if you sign up to Odeon's Premier Club you get 15% off when booking online bringing the price of the family ticket to €23.80 (that the price minus the cost of the 3d glasses if you're bringing your own)

So even though it does pay to shop around it also pays to research the website more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It sounds like you do Father's Day backwards in your house!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It sounds like you do Father's Day backwards in your house!

In Soviet Russia, Father gifts you!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd imagine getting the kids out of the house is a fine gift; havin the place to urself, not having to worry about them etc.

Odeon is quite expensive but as pointed out you could've gotten it for a fair bit cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bistoman wrote: »
    pointless rant
    Odeon Coolock Family Ticket (2 adults + 2 children)
    €26
    €32 for 3D movies.

A little research next time would tell you this before you badmouth a perfectly good cinema, this information can be found by poking around their site for all of 30 seconds.

You can also purchase tickets from the Food Counters, if you had the sense to ask a human being you could have saved yourself a drive to Santry.

Savman wrote: »
    Ignorant Comment

OK, I walked into the cinema, The few staff seemed to be very busy at the Popcorn counter ( A Big sign saying "Tickets Sold Here" Would have been helpful) When I got to the ticket machine Thare was NO option to buy a family ticket. Some people don't want to be tied to membership deals. And in a rescission I would Imagine that trying to get new customers is a priority. I'm glad You have Your life all mapped out for You, Me, I like to sample life as I go along. Odeon have lost Me and My family as Future customers. And the Family ticket price in Santry is Fixed for all customers, Not better prices because You happen to have access to a website.
    Why cant they Just give good value to everyone who walks in the door?
    What Bu*****T.

Wrong again, walk-up prices are the same for everyone, please stop embarrassing yourself and spreading uneducated opinions.

Odeon offer a small discount for online booking, all this information is readily available either on their site or by speaking to a person and, god forbid, use a bit of common sense. You chose to drive away when the Counter was 10 steps from the machine then post this tripe.

Spend your money where you wish, nobody cares if you go to Omni, but the information you have posted is wildly inaccurate.

I brought My sons to the cinema yesterday as a fathers day out.
    They wanted to see MIB III, so we checked the times for the Odeon in Coolock
    (Formerly UCI). I was a little surprised not to see any ticket prices
    ( They may have been on the website, But I couldn't find them)
    We don't usaley go to coolock but decided to give it a go,
    At first I was walking around like an eegit looking for a box office,
    When a small child told Me that "You Hafta uuse the Machine Mister".
    So over I go, Select the time and Movie, Then the price pops up....
    €39.60.... WTF? 2 Adults 2 Children €40??? This cant be right I said, So I rechecked,

What Part of this Is Untrue??
    No Family option. This was the correct price, It was only 3 o'clock!!!
    So they are saving cash by having no box office but are charging this???
    I didn't bother to see the price of the popcorn, if the entry price was any reflection.

There Is NO Family Option on the Screen. Do You UNDERSTAND that???

No Staff ware available, Is that Clear Enough?

• Advertisement

No Staff ware available, Is that Clear Enough?

Have you heard of queuing? Its this new system they have where you line up behind the person getting served and when they're finished it will be your turn.

I understand your frustrations but if you went to the counter they sell Family tickets there, also there is a banner in the cinema indicating box office tickets are available at the food stands.
    Some people don't want to be tied to membership deals.

The Odeon Premier Club is not a membership deal, all you have to do is register your details online.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

*gets popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Went to the Odeon Point Village on a Friday night recently, €14 for an adult single (2D), disgraceful.

2 Adults, popcorn, drink, some other snack around €45.

And the movie industry wonder why people use piratebay..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Don't have kids so can't comment on price of bringing kids to cinema but when my girlfriend and myself go, mostly Cineworld as we have unlimited cards, we have dinner out before or after.

Never went in for food in cinema, there for a film, not a scoff. Usually just bring bottle of water in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Went to the Odeon Point Village on a Friday night recently, €14 for an adult single (2D), disgraceful.

Holy! :eek:

Love my Cineworld card more with each passing day.

That said, myself and some friends went to see the Avengers in 2D during the afternoon a while back in Santry and got tickets for €6.70 (it was even cheaper if you had a student card), so it pays to shop around.
    I think the days of rip off cinema will soon come crashing down. More and more people are getting wise to the deals / offers that are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

I do wish that Vue and Odeon would bring in Unlimited cards. I keep emailing them to ask and the reply is the usual "we have no plans to but we value what our customers think" jibberish. Well if you value what your customers think being in an unlimited card! :rolleyes:
    I wish Cineworld was easier for me to get to or that they'd open a cinema outside of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

A pair of tickets cost me €32.74 to see a 3D film in iSense and included premier seats, 3D glasses & booking fees.

I know the price of cinemas are really high these days but it should really be treated as a treat. You're paying for the big screen experience and while people complain about the price would they not complain more if the whole industry died away and we no longer had cinemas to go to?

It's also important to remember that the cinema itself makes zero profit from the cinema tickets themselves, all of the box office receipts go to the movie distributors. The cinema makes its profit thru over-pricing their food. And even then all of the expenses, staff,esb,advertising,etc.,etc., have to be covered through the food revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    I wish Cineworld was easier for me to get to or that they'd open a cinema outside of the city centre.

I wish they'd change that monster screen 17 to an IMAX :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

maximoose wrote: »
    I wish they'd change that monster screen 17 to an IMAX :mad:

Still not nearly big enough. iSense, Savoy and Vue are larger than Screen 17 and even they aren't big enough.
    lockie1983 wrote: »
    It's also important to remember that the cinema itself makes zero profit from the cinema tickets themselves, all of the box office receipts go to the movie distributors. The cinema makes its profit thru over-pricing their food. And even then all of the expenses, staff,esb,advertising,etc.,etc., have to be covered through the food revenue.
    That's not true. In the first week the studio takes most of the money from ticket sales, but by the second and third week the cinema's taking increases to about 40-50 percent until eventually by week 4 or 5 they are keeping most of it.

• Advertisement

That's not true. In the first week the studio takes most of the money from ticket sales, but by the second and third week the cinema's taking increases to about 40-50 percent until eventually by week 4 or 5 they are keeping most of it.

Apologies if that's incorrect information, I was given it by several people I know who work in cinemas. I can't stand over it if it is second hand information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

True, that's why we here so much about opening weekend box office revenue as a large chunk of that money goes directly to the studio and a films success is based on this gross.
    Still not nearly big enough. iSense, Savoy and Vue are larger than Screen 17 and even they aren't big enough.

I still think iSense in the Odeon Point Village was a missed opportunity for an IMAX screen. The building certainly has the hight, as you have to go up several flights of stairs to even get to the lobby, plus it's already over priced compared to every other cinema, especially considering it's location and design imperfections (heads blocking the screen, distracting light coming from a door in the middle of the auditorium).

A 2D ticket is €14 and a 3D ticket is €16 at peak times so I doubt people would complain to much about paying €18 and €20 to visit an IMAX instead.

The only negitive is the studio's would need to released film's that were shot for IMAX on a more regular basis for it to survive...........but I don't think the Odeon Point Village will survive anyway given it's premium prices and awkward location.

My initial "Rant" was about the price of the ticket, But it seems that a lot of You are not fully happy with the service, What do You think the Cinemas in Ireland need to do to keep You walking in the door?

I don't know how the cash intake is distributed in a Cinema, But If what You say is true, How can they justify price discrepancies in other Cinemas? Surly if the Movie makers are getting Most of the first weeks takings the ticket price should be the same in All cinemas???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Prices stated very clearly on the website:
    4fwozr.png

There is a 10 ft high banner inside the door that states where to purchase tickets.

Like other people suggested it would have been much easier to approach a member of staff. I can guarantee nobody would mind you popping to the top of the till to ask where do you purchase tickets.

There is also a FULL price list on the wall inside which lists all film prices and food prices.

9/10 times there is a person to tear the tickets who will not be busy and is there to deal with any customer queries, they could have been asked.

OMNI is cheaper I agree but I would not put up with the lower standards and put up with sticky floors to save a couple of euro.

Also the Odeon Premiere Club Card (there is a €1.99 version, which is a once off payment) allows you 25% off tickets on Tuesdays, 15% off online and also it works out you earn 10 points per euro which means you essentially get 10% of what you spend back.

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Prices stated very clearly on the website:
    4fwozr.png

There is a 10 ft high banner inside the door that states where to purchase tickets.

Like other people suggested it would have been much easier to approach a member of staff. I can guarantee nobody would mind you popping to the top of the till to ask where do you purchase tickets.

There is also a FULL price list on the wall inside which lists all film prices and food prices.

9/10 times there is a person to tear the tickets who will not be busy and is there to deal with any customer queries, they could have been asked.

OMNI is cheaper I agree but I would not put up with the lower standards and put up with sticky floors to save a couple of euro.

Also the Odeon Premiere Club Card (there is a €1.99 version, which is a once off payment) allows you 25% off tickets on Tuesdays, 15% off online and also it works out you earn 10 points per euro which means you essentially get 10% of what you spend back.

Thanks for that, This price list is Very good.And maybe I should have talked to ma member of staff ( If I could have found one) But Here is My problem, That is NOT the prices I was offered on the ticket machine. I selected Two adults and Two Children, Ordinary seats and the price was €40.00 or so. Why should I assume that the price is different from the popcorn counter? Remember this is My first time in this cinema in Years, Why didn't the ticket machine offer me the best selection of prices?? Does everyone who goes to this Cinema skip the automated machine and go to the popcorn counter for the best prices??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

In all fairness if you want a cheap cinema ticket the best places on prices by far are Savoy, Omni, Screen or Rathmines imho. And also Cineworld on a tuesday or before 5pm, after 5pm or all day/night prices in cineworld are a joke though seriously at 11.50 for 2d or 13.50 for 3d, especially for a 3d movie. unless you have the unlimited card at those times, its not worth it but thats just me, they do have a good variety of times and movies being shown though so thats one good thing!
    Odeon cinemas are about the same now, they used to be cheapish when they were UCI tbh, just the way times are getting i guess.

2 Adults, popcorn, drink, some other snack around €45.

And the movie industry wonder why people use piratebay..

I really hate how people will bitch and moan about what a rip off their cinema going experience was but I bet you never bothered to complain to the cinema manager. I know that if I was asked for 28 euro for two adult tickets I would say no thanks and walk away. When me and my girlfriend were going to see MI4 we didn't realise that it was on the luxury screen, it wasn't advertised as such but was changed to allow the screening of some Irish film. When I asked for two tickets I was told that it was 28 euro, rather than fork over the money and rush home to cry about it on boards I simply said thanks but no thanks and we headed over to the other cinema in town where it cost us 17 euro for two tickets.

As for popcorn and drinks no one forces you to buy them and it's not like the prices aren't advertised. Any cinema I have ever been in has posters displaying the price of it so it's not like they try and trick you. In future stop off in Tesco or whatever supermarket is closet and pick up a few treats, guaranteed to save you a fortune.

As for prices in cinemas leading you to use torrents, well if you were a film fan you would either shop around for the best deal or wait till the DVD/Blu is released and then buy or rent it. You would not rush use the cost of thee cinema to justify stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Maybe there is a glitch with the automated machine not allowing you to buy group tickets but other than this the prices are the same.
    candy-gal1 wrote: »

Odeon cinemas are about the same now, they used to be cheapish when they were UCI tbh, just the way times are getting i guess.

Regardless of whether other cinemas are cheaper Odeon & UCI prices are the same, UCI has been run by Odeon as long as I remember they are the same group and owned Terra Firma, UCI only got rebranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Maybe there is a glitch with the automated machine not allowing you to buy group tickets but other than this the prices are the same.

Regardless of whether other cinemas are cheaper Odeon & UCI prices are the same, UCI has been run by Odeon as long as I remember they are the same group and owned Terra Firma, UCI only got rebranded.

Really?! maybe it just seemed cheaper to me, UCI used to be my main cinema i went as a child/teen etc, so could be that :o:)
    I went to the Odeon a few weeks ago, and for 2 adults before 5pm and a kids popcorn box, for me :D:o, its was 27e or thereabouts, just thought it seemed a tad more than UCI, but maybe not.
    Even so, its still cheaper methinks than cineworld on a weekend and after 5pm

• Advertisement

I went to Odeon about a fortnight ago, 2 Adult full price admissions cost me all of €0 - courtesy of reward points from the new loyalty scheme.

Having visited again since then and paying full price, I nearly have enough points for another freebie.

How people can honestly say it's getting more expensive baffles me tbh.

Advertisement