Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Hi all

I received my theory test certificate today for a motorbike. I have a full driving licence already and have had since 2004. I'm wondering if I need to still get an eye test and a medical report for this learners permit even though I already have a full licence ? It just seems stupid if I have to so wanted to ask in here first.

Cheers lads

Just an eye test. I was looking this up myself the other day and got the information from here.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_motorcycles_in_ireland.html?tab=related

"A completed eyesight report form D.502 must accompany all first learner permit applications"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Right… I suppose I'll give the excuse first… Iam a lazy so and so and Iam looking at this page on a mobile fone so credit is constantly being consumed :D

So Iam looking at getting into motorbikes and would like to know what a beginner like myself should be looking out for and what's the first step?

Iam 21 never held a licence for any vehicle in my life have an eyesight problem but according to my optrition it's still within the perimeters deemed acceptable for driving

I would also like to know the general costs of tax insurance etc for people my age if at all possible? And what the rough running costs would be?

I suppose I will be asked what, if any, bike interests me in particular to which I would answer a Ducati (or as someone on the first page put it Deeewkaaati) monster :D

Now I have considered a moped but for the life of me I just cant find one that's any bit aesthetically pleasing :/ so please dOnt suggest them :)

Any and all reply's will be appreciated even the ones that tell me to F*** off :D

Rgds
    Smurf

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Jsmurff wrote: »
    Right… I suppose I'll give the excuse first… Iam a lazy so and so and Iam looking at this page on a mobile fone so credit is constantly being consumed :D

So Iam looking at getting into motorbikes and would like to know what a beginner like myself should be looking out for and what's the first step?

Iam 21 never held a licence for any vehicle in my life have an eyesight problem but according to my optrition it's still within the perimeters deemed acceptable for driving

I would also like to know the general costs of tax insurance etc for people my age if at all possible? And what the rough running costs would be?

I suppose I will be asked what, if any, bike interests me in particular to which I would answer a Ducati (or as someone on the first page put it Deeewkaaati) monster :D

Now I have considered a moped but for the life of me I just cant find one that's any bit aesthetically pleasing :/ so please dOnt suggest them :)

Any and all reply's will be appreciated even the ones that tell me to F*** off :D

Rgds
    Smurf

Right, first of all go onto www.theorytest.ie, and book your theory test. Get that done, get your eye test etc done, and send away the forms.

After that, you'll need to book an IBT course. I'd recommend Aaron Rider Training http://www.aaronridertraining.com with Peter Bookey (I did mine with him), but there's a few others that you can choose from if you wanted to.

After you get your IBT, then you're legally allowed to drive. Insurance will vary, I'm the same age and got mine for around 600 on a 125. You'll have to ring around Liberty, Carole Nash, Adelaide etc, and you'll get a quote to suit you.

Tax on a bike isnt expensive, but the protective gear is. A good helmet could cost you 400+, and thats not including the boots, trousers, jacket and gloves you'll need.

Have a look around donedeal etc and pick out a bike you like. You'll be restricted to a 250/125 bike for the first 2 years of your licence, unless you get a restrictor kit fitted to a bigger bike.

Bike maintanence doesn't cost a huge amount as long as you don't crash it, and they're pretty decent on petrol, way cheaper than a car.

Thats about it really, hope any of that helped. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Wossack

gear looks good

you should really get fitted for your helmet though - wouldnt buy a first one over the net

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    gear looks good

you should really get fitted for your helmet though - wouldnt buy a first one over the net
    Apperently they are a crowed in Cork (where Iam based) so should be able to walk in and request the gear :)

ah perfect, yea theyre Lee Honda afaik

Wossack wrote: »
    ah perfect, yea theyre Lee Honda afaik
    Oh cool was reading somewhere that Honda have great starter bikes so shall have a foodies nose around there :D cheers Wossack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 doyler1984

thinking of buying a hyosung 250 gtr (2009).
    what do people here think of this bike. have heard mixed reviews. some people complain about the build quality, parts etc.
    other people seem to have got on fine with them. very confused as to what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Not sure if the right thread, but it is a learner question, so here goes.

I have my test tomorrow morning, and I know they ask you to do technical checks beforehand. I'm just unsure of what to answer for one or two of them.

I know how to check and adjust chain slack and check oil.

I found a thing online that says you might be asked to check your tyres or steering. How do you check these?

Tyre thread depth 1mm across 3/4 of the tyre, and check for bulges and irregularities. Is that it? Or am I leaving something out?

And steering? How do I check the steering?

Also I'll be asked to move the bike 4 or 5 metres without the engine. Is this while sitting on the bike or standing?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. The nerves are just really hitting me.

Any other last minute tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

Quick question i hope someone can answer.
    Did the theory test
    I got my Moped provisional licence about 2003
    I then did the full moped driving test in 2004

Now i want to get an A licence.
    Do i have to do theory test again?
    It's all a bit confusing.
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Pedro K wrote: »

I have my test tomorrow morning, and I know they ask you to do technical checks beforehand. I'm just unsure of what to answer for one or two of them.

I found a thing online that says you might be asked to check your tyres or steering. How do you check these?

Tyre thread depth 1mm across 3/4 of the tyre, and check for bulges and irregularities. Is that it? Or am I leaving something out?

Also I'll be asked to move the bike 4 or 5 metres without the engine. Is this while sitting on the bike or standing?

Thanks

Correct on the tyre stuff, no idea on the steering though.

As for moving the bike, you'll be walking alongside it. Remember to put the side stand up as you start to move it.

Relax, try not to be too wound up about thtest as then your nerves will get the better of you.

And best of luck!

know your tyre pressures too
    and make sure all your lights work, and that a valid tax disk is displayed

pajodublin wrote: »
    Quick question i hope someone can answer.
    Did the theory test
    I got my Moped provisional licence about 2003
    I then did the full moped driving test in 2004

Now i want to get an A licence.
    Do i have to do theory test again?
    It's all a bit confusing.
    Thanks for the help

believe so unfort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

doyler1984 wrote: »
    thinking of buying a hyosung 250 gtr (2009).
    what do people here think of this bike. have heard mixed reviews. some people complain about the build quality, parts etc.
    other people seem to have got on fine with them. very confused as to what to do

Bad bike! There are better out there! Honda CBR250, Kawa 250 Ninja for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Pedro K

RosieJoe wrote: »

Thanks

Correct on the tyre stuff, no idea on the steering though.

As for moving the bike, you'll be walking alongside it. Remember to put the side stand up as you start to move it.

Relax, try not to be too wound up about thtest as then your nerves will get the better of you.

And best of luck!
    Passed it this morning. Only got one mark for a safety glance not done correctly and was complimented on a test very well done.

I am absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Passed it this morning. Only got one mark for a safety glance not done correctly and was complimented on a test very well done.

I am absolutely delighted.

Excellent, all that panicking for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

So if i pass the theroy test, can i ride a bike alone until i do the I.B.T. ?
    if so what size of bike? or is it not aloud at all to drive a bike until theroy passed and I.B.T. done also.

seems a over the top system system to ride a scooter, 16 hours of training. I know it's supposudly about road safety but it smacks of irish (someones making a fortue somewhere outta this.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

spacekiwi wrote: »
    So if i pass the theroy test, can i ride a bike alone until i do the I.B.T. ?
    if so what size of bike? or is it not aloud at all to drive a bike until theroy passed and I.B.T. done also.

seems a over the top system system to ride a scooter, 16 hours of training. I know it's supposudly about road safety but it smacks of irish (someones making a fortue somewhere outta this.)

You have to do the IBT before you are allowed out on the road on your own.

It depends on what licence you herbed to what you will be allowed to ride.

I recommend that you get an A licence.

Oh, and it is about safety. This brings us more in line with the rest of Europe.
    Try get a bike licence in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭spacekiwi

ok thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

P.C. wrote: »
    You have to do the IBT before you are allowed out on the road on your own.

It depends on what licence you herbed to what you will be allowed to ride.

I recommend that you get an A licence.

Oh, and it is about safety. This brings us more in line with the rest of Europe.
    Try get a bike licence in Germany.

Or a car licence!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I've booked my theory test for 2 weeks. Pretty sure Im going to pass it as Ive been practicing a lot for it. Then I plan to just get lessons with an instructor or whatever (never ridden a bike before) and see how I go from there, before buying one.

Thing is, Im starting to question if its worth getting a bike in Ireland. Firstly you have the weather which is a major downside with all the rain. Would be pretty hard to use a bike for a daily commute if you weeks of lashing rain. It probably wouldnt be feasible to drop your car etc.

Secondly, the price of second hand bikes seems ridiculous. You would get a decent car for cheaper than a bike. Or so it seems from adverts.ie and other places. Is there any particular reason for this?

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Firstly you have the weather which is a major downside with all the rain. Would be pretty hard to use a bike for a daily commute if you weeks of lashing rain.

Firstly - if you have the right gear, the weather doesn't matter. In my last job I commuted every day for 3 years, in rain, wind, snow, ice....all without incident. You have to slow down, be smooth, concentrate and you'll be fine. I have Gore-Tex gloves, boots and jacket and pull-ups over my leather pants and not a drop of rain got in and I was never cold.
    Secondly, the price of second hand bikes seems ridiculous. You would get a decent car for cheaper than a bike. Or so it seems from adverts.ie and other places. Is there any particular reason for this?

Depends on what you're looking for and where. My GF got a sweet CB400 Super Four for €900. Nothing wrong with that IMHO. It's mint and running lovely. All I've had to do in a year is change the oil and filter. On the other hand I bought a 98 Space Wagon for €500 and it has cost me double that to get it running right and I'm still not finished, so I would have been better off buying a 01 or 02 for €1500!! You can be lucky or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I've booked my theory test for 2 weeks. Pretty sure Im going to pass it as Ive been practicing a lot for it. Then I plan to just get lessons with an instructor or whatever (never ridden a bike before) and see how I go from there, before buying one.

Thing is, Im starting to question if its worth getting a bike in Ireland. Firstly you have the weather which is a major downside with all the rain. Would be pretty hard to use a bike for a daily commute if you weeks of lashing rain. It probably wouldnt be feasible to drop your car etc.

Once you start driving the bike everyday you won't even notice the rain. To be honest if driving a motorbike in less than favourable conditions is putting you off then you shouldn't bother at all because 80% of the driving you do in Ireland will be in rubbish conditions.

What kind of secondhand bikes are you looking at? It depends on what you're after to be honest. Older learner legal bikes tend to be a little bit more expensive than older bigger bikes because there is huge demand for them because of our bike licensing laws.

Can I just ask why you want to get a motorbike? You don't seem very enthusiastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

not a drop of rain got in and I was never cold.

Thats good to know. I didnt realize you could get away with it like that. Can you wear them over your normal clothes or what?

What kind of secondhand bikes are you looking at?

None in particular. Just listing bikes in order of price in my county, which is probably why they're so expensive. Shop around I guess.

In the previous post the poster mentioned a CB400 Super Four. Searched it up, looks like a lovely bike. Priced it at around 1.2k ish which is better than I expected.
    Can I just ask why you want to get a motorbike? You don't seem very enthusiastic?

The enthusiasm is there alright, its just some things are concerning me is all.
    I want to get a bike because its something I genuinly want to drive, I think Ill enjoy it and it looks like a lot of fun, especially on a lovely sunny day like today where I could go for a nice drive. Its something I think I'd rather be doing than driving a car (which is something Im not overly fond of.)
    This sounds a bit stupid but as a kid I spent most of my time racing around the neighborhood on my bicycle. So two wheels is something I rather enjoy :o

A more minor reason is I assume they're cheaper to own and run, they're smaller and can be maintained easier than a car. I could be completely wrong on that point though so correct me if I am.

Anyway, I thought I'd go for the learner permit and experience it and see how I go. No major plans other than to take my time and learn at a steady pace for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I also bought a CB400 for €900 and I know people who have got them cheaper. Don't forget to haggle. A lot of the CBs on donedeal are 15+ years old so while they are a very reliable bike people have to be realistic about the prices they're putting on them too.

I've never owned a car so I can't directly compare the costs involved but from what I see I think it's harder to ignore a problem on a bike. If you're sitting on a two wheeled machine and all the other idiots on the road are surrounding you, you want to be sure that your bike is sound and 100% reliant. You know those visual checks that the road authorities and the RSA tell you to carry out on your vehicle every week? Well, with a bike you will probably find yourself actually doing them. I wash the bike once a week (it picks up a lot of crap driving in all weather) and while I do so I carry out visual checks, have a poke in under the fairings make sure everything is looking okay, check the chain, check my tyres, check my lights etc.

I work with 2 women that travel from very close to where I live. The drive takes me 20 minutes max., it takes them about 35 minutes, sometimes more depending on traffic, petrol per week costs me €22 on a CBR250 and for them it costs €50 approx. I know some people might think "well I'm warm and dry in my car" but just because you're on a bike it doesn't mean you're not warm and dry. I have textile gear that I use for wet days and I have leather gear for dry days. The textile gear keeps me very warm, I have never been cold on the bike (apart from my hands before I got heated grips) and I drive in all weather. You're best off investing in the best wet gear you can buy to start out with because the weather may be good at the start of the week but you're almost guaranteed it'll change for the worst by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Thats good to know. I didnt realize you could get away with it like that. Can you wear them over your normal clothes or what?

None in particular. Just listing bikes in order of price in my county, which is probably why they're so expensive. Shop around I guess.

In the previous post the poster mentioned a CB400 Super Four. Searched it up, looks like a lovely bike. Priced it at around 1.2k ish which is better than I expected.

The enthusiasm is there alright, its just some things are concerning me is all.
    I want to get a bike because its something I genuinly want to drive, I think Ill enjoy it and it looks like a lot of fun, especially on a lovely sunny day like today where I could go for a nice drive. Its something I think I'd rather be doing than driving a car (which is something Im not overly fond of.)
    This sounds a bit stupid but as a kid I spent most of my time racing around the neighborhood on my bicycle. So two wheels is something I rather enjoy :o

A more minor reason is I assume they're cheaper to own and run, they're smaller and can be maintained easier than a car. I could be completely wrong on that point though so correct me if I am.

Anyway, I thought I'd go for the learner permit and experience it and see how I go. No major plans other than to take my time and learn at a steady pace for now.

Dont just search your own county. Bikes can be delivered or collected by a fellow biker. I recently had a bike collected from cork and delivered to the midlands for under 200 euro.

As it happens I picked up a cb 400 SF. Doing IBT next week. I plan to do a 80 mile commute 5 days a week eventually. I wont attempt this until I feel up to it though.

I spent about 15 years trying to decide whether to get a bike or not and only now I decided to go for it.

Depends on what you get. Top of the range stuff would be Alpinestars Dry Star which is excellent but very expensive. There's also Richa Monsoon (bottoms) or Dainese D-Dry (gloves) which are not as expensive but still good. The bottoms are lined so you couldn't really wear them over jeans (you'd be melting anyway) but some people do. A jacket like the RST Paragon Pro Series is a good but inexpensive jacket, and will keep you warm and dry. I'm not telling you that you HAVE to get these items, just giving you an idea.

Well there ya go. If it's your first bike, no point spending the guts of 6 grand on a faired bike that you WILL at some stage drop. Start small and cheap. The Super Four is an ideal starter bike. My GF has one and three of her friends have one too. Bulletproof, reliable, durable and easy to ride and maintain.

A more minor reason is I assume they're cheaper to own and run, they're smaller and can be maintained easier than a car. I could be completely wrong on that point though so correct me if I am. .

Well, as a car AND bike owner, I can tell you it IS cheaper to run a bike. Just using my own circumstances let me give you an example....

Home to work - 53 miles, so it's 106 miles every day. Duration in car: 1 hour 15 minutes. Duration on bike: 35 minutes (dry) 40-45 minutes (raining)

Petrol for the week (car): €125 as it's €25 per day. On the bike it's €27 every 2 days so it works out about €65 for the week.

Tax - car: €196 every 3 months. bike: €82 for the year!

Insurance: Not much difference for me, they're both around €250 for me.

Again, these are MY circumstances just to give you an idea. Overall, I find the bike better/cheaper and more fun. The biggest outlay on the bike is getting yourself set up with the proper gear. Don't scrimp and get cheap gear as it's false economy and you'll just end up having to replace it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Don't scrimp and get cheap gear as it's false economy and you'll just end up having to replace it.

Very true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Hi guys

Just wanted to know how would a restriction effect a bike like a Triumph Bonneville? Im considering a harley 883 or restricted Bonneville for first bike.
    Thanks

Advertisement