Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookie Account restricted and don't know why!

• 18-06-2012 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

OK I'm not looking for sympathy or here to show how great I am because I had an account restricted. Been betting online for 10 years + with very small stakes (see below) and have never had a problem with any bookie refusing or restricting bets until now, and I genuinely don't know why I have been restricted.

I opened an a/c with an Oddschecker bookie last December and here's a list of the bets placed (incl stake)

1. €14 on Man City to win Europa League @ 6/1 - LOST
    2. €11 on Man Utd to win Europa League @ 8/1 - LOST
    3. Free bet of €25 placed on Man Utd to win Europa League @ 8/1 - LOST
    4. €5 on Lampard to score first FA Cup final @ 9/1 - LOST
    5. €5 on Gerrard to score first FA Cup final @ 11/1 - LOST
    6. €20 on The Driver on Pole to win Monaco GP @ 6/5 - WON
    7. €5 on Sweden to win Group 4 @ 13/2 - LOST
    8. €3 on Alex Noren in Nordea Masters @ 16/1 - LOST

So 8 bets placed (incl free bet) with 1 winner and a loss to me of €19 from €63 staked.

The bookie in question just had a Twitter special with a max stake of €15 but I could only place €2 on it. I phoned them and was told that my account has been heavily restricted.

Can anyone shed any light on why this account has been restricted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

What bookie is it?
    Hard to understand since your account is negative?

My guess would be its Victor Chandler and that all of your bets they were top price on?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'd guess PP

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

It is Blue Square

That's surprising.
    I've never had a problem with Blue Sq (have had with others though).
    If they were best price on your selections or if they were arbs (whether you knew or not) that all goes against you.

BTW
    I wouldn't bother emailing them asking them to explain.
    All you will get back is the usual "it is a trading decision".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Yeah I got that already when I rang them.

The girl on the phone did sound a bit surprised after she looked at the account history.

I'm not bothered about it cos I rarely use them but if I'm doing something obviously wrong (and nothing is obvious to me there) then I want to nip it in the bud in case I put other more important accounts at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If they were best price in the industry for many of those bets then you can be restricted even when in the negative. Winning or losing doesn't seem to bother the bookies all that much, a lot of it depends on the selections you're taking. Obviously if you keep winning that will spell the end, but you can win for a long time without being limited whereas if you keep taking industry high prices you can be restricted in a very short period of time!

Got told by someone if you back something that hardens in price, that also goes against you.
    So if you back a team at 2/1 and they go to 6/4, that goes against you.
    Doesn't matter if they win or not.
    Same with a horse.
    Looking at your history, there's not a lot there that should be a reason for restricting you imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Lots of bookies restrict you on specials if you join through odds comparison sites.
    The way they look at it is they have already given you a free bet and they had to pay Oddschecker for the referral so you aint getting nothing else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Your DOB might match someone on their watch-out-for list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement