Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

• 01-06-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

A lot of you clearly have your finger on various musical pulses and a lot are keen to be informed (me included).

What album have you come across in the month since release that is worth a listen?

For me - Brian Jonestown Massacre - Aufheben.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Ted Mosby

That's why God made the Radio - The Beach Boys. Produced by Brian Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Japandroids-Celebration-Rock-300x300.jpg
    Japandroids - Celebration Rock

A high-energy, no-frills indie rock album with plenty of killer tunes to boot. Probably not one of the best albums of the year so far but it's great none the less.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

alt-j.jpg

An Awesome Wave by Alt-J. Hadn't heard of them before picking up the album, easily one of my favourites of the year so far, some cracking songs on it. No Irish dates yet unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Japandroids-Celebration-Rock-300x300.jpg
    Japandroids - Celebration Rock

A high-energy, no-frills indie rock album with plenty of killer tunes to boot. Probably not one of the best albums of the year so far but it's great none the less.

I really have to give that a listen. I loved their debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

alt-j.jpg

An Awesome Wave by Alt-J. Hadn't heard of them before picking up the album, easily one of my favourites of the year so far, some cracking songs on it. No Irish dates yet unfortunately.

Cheers gonzovision. I've you tubed these guys since seeing your post yesterday in the 'songs you'd like to share' thread. I might well pick up this album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Liked a Mrs Magician there is no god etc solo album by Jacob Turnbloom

http://jacobturnbloom.bandcamp.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Keane's new album, "strangeland" came out last month.IMO, its a bloody good album too.Amy MacDonald's album "Life in a beautiful light" will be out on Friday next. Thats her in my sig.

http://keanemusic.com/index.php

http://www.amymacdonald.co.uk/gb/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The new Beach House and Walkmen albums are worth more than a listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm really liking this, I guess you'd call it "garage pop" in the vein of some Flying Nun bands and Wire. The Raincoats are an obvious reference too.

All three girls sing, and very well. I think guitar/bass interplay is pretty sweet too.

Here's the album, steaming on Sterogum...

http://stereogum.com/1037442/stream-grass-widow-internal-logic-stereogum-premiere/top-stories/

And the best video I've seen in ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

SigurRosValtari600Gb250512.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

smokedeels wrote: »
    Here's the album, steaming on Sterogum...

It must be sh!t! ;)

I'll have to check that out later.

Not sure if they were released in the last month but I picked up the Money Store by Death Grips and Theesatisfaction's latest and both are really deadly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

FJM_FEAR_FUN_COVER1.jpg

Released on the 1st of May, Fear Fun by Fr. John Misty. Most people would know him as J Tillman, ex Fleet Foxes member. Had been a fan of Tillmans previous solo work, but a lot was hit and miss. This album is very solid throughout. Quite a few stand out tracks, and worth checking out his full performance on KEXP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Choochtown

New Admiral Fallow album "Tree Bursts in Snow" is quality

A Place To Bury Strangers-: Worship (2012)
    After the EP onwards to the Wall I was waiting for this album and it does'nt disappoint...its hard,driving in a QOFTA way but somehow technically better..the feedback is amazing..jesus and mary chain..joy division..nihilistic,nine inch nails..fcuking hell

Wont turn into a serial poster of aptbs btw

I didn't release Worship had been released yet, I'm on it.

Their self-titled and Exploding Head blew my ears off in the best way possible.

I didn't release Worship had been released yet,

Was gonna wait till 26th June to reply that it is released :)
    Whats ur pick of songs from the albums you mentioned..not familiar with the back catalogue.

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    Was gonna wait till 26th June to reply that it is released :)
    Whats ur pick of songs from the albums you mentioned..not familiar with the back catalogue.
    From their self-titled:
    Missing You (the first song I ever heard from them)
    Ocean

From Exploding Head:
    Keep Slipping Away
    In Your Heart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

THe CRIBS!!!

Their new album is friggin awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 6 conrow

alt-j.jpg

Played The Academy about two weeks ago. I checked ticketmaster the night I started to get into the album to realise they were playing as I searched... was gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

One that I just got hold of as it came out very unexpectedly last week, only a mere 9 months since their last effort, and usually they take 2-3 years between albums.

Deus - Following Sea

• Advertisement

Top stuff
    Some tracks from album
    http://www.myspace.com/fuxamusic

From Oxford ..I love what they are doing..pink floydy post rock sweet sonic feedback..videos are top notch as well. Only have an EP to date ..defiantly a band to keep an eye for..hope they play Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

The new Cast of Cheers album is out 40minutes now.
    It's a cracker.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Death Grips. The Money Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

alt-j.jpg

Thanks for this recommendation, can't stop playing the album. If they played EP I would go solely to see these guys. What an album

3873941.jpg

iamamiwhoami - kin
    A brilliant dream-pop/synth-pop album from a very mysterious Swedish band that just seemed to come out of nowhere. Very atmospheric yet catchy at the same time.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Death Grips. The Money Store.

Just listened to this on Soundcloud.....'Mad Ted' but strangely compelling.
    Think I'll be listening again.
    Thanks for recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The new Hot Chip album "In Our Heads" is consistent and fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

3873941.jpg

iamamiwhoami - kin
    A brilliant dream-pop/synth-pop album from a very mysterious Swedish band that just seemed to come out of nowhere. Very atmospheric yet catchy at the same time.
    Hadn't realised they had released a full album nice one.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Hadn't realised they had released a full album nice one.
    They released these songs one by one on Youtube over the past year or so apparently and they're all collected here. This is some good stuff.

Advertisement