Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World's most powerful rifle.

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

When you've gotta bring down something bigger than an elephant... much bigger...

So what would you like to bring down with this little gun?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

For when the Dinosaurs return?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

When you've gotta bring down something bigger than an elephant... much bigger...

Your mother?? :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^Good one... Wasn't expecting that sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

the goverments that ****ed up this country !! - :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Jaysus, there wouldn't be much left if you shot a rabbit with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

if only they gave this to jeff goldblum.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

That thing would kill the shooter never mind the target :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Schism wrote: »

Nah, we'll have Cadillacs for that.

Pft, would be useless against Zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Schism wrote: »

Im thinking its so powerful it tears a hole in space time and its what wiped them out 65 million years ago.

Pfft.....asteroid, me arse :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Here's more info from wiki:

"The .950 JDJ is one of the world's largest and most powerful rifle cartridges. Loaded .950 JDJ cartridges are approximately the length of an empty .50 BMG casing (i.e., 4"), and are based on a 20x102mm case shortened and necked up to accept the .950" bullet.[1] Projectiles are custom-made and most commonly weigh 3,600 grains (230 g) which is 8.2 ounces or over half a pound.[2]

The cartridge propels its 3,600 gr (230 g) bullet at approximately 2,200 ft/s (670 m/s). This yields a muzzle energy of 38,685 ft·lbf (52,450 J)[1] and a momentum of 154.1 Newton-seconds. This kinetic energy would allow the .950 JDJ to pass through several body-armored humans. It is comparable to the original tank rounds of World War I in terms of ballistic energy.

By comparison, the 5.56x45 cartridge, used in the M16 rifle, produces between 1,200–1,300 ft·lbf (1,600–1,800 J), while the .308 Winchester, a favorite for hunters and medium-range police/military sniping, produces between 2,000–3,000 ft·lbf (2,700–4,100 J) depending on the load used. The ballistics of the .950 JDJ is more similar to that of the 20mm autocannon round, which delivers approximately 39,500 ft·lbf (53,600 J). The muzzle energy of the .950 JDJ is comparable to the kinetic energy of a 2,800 lb (1,300 kg) automobile traveling at 20 mph (32 km/h).

In a 110 lb (50 kg) rifle, this will develop well over 200 ft·lbf (270 J) of free recoil energy if an efficient muzzle brake is not used. This is far beyond the shoulder-firing capacity of nearly all humans, even without considering the difficulty of shouldering such a heavy rifle. Shooting is usually heavy "lead sled" or similar shooting rest, and the rifle is not held to the shoulder because of the severe recoil and possible injury. The rifle scope has significant eye relief to avoid injuring the ocular orbit."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

^Good one... Wasn't expecting that sir!

My apologies haha, i can be very immature sometimes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I wanna see these guys give it a go:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82

I'd reckon that still beats it, faster shell velocity and much greater range, can't find a power equiv though.

^ Mr. Barrett will pee in his pants when he sees these things:

Advertisement