Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Irish Cream Ale?

• 29-10-2011 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭

Anyone know where you can get this?From Wexford myself and had never seen of heard of it until recently. Comes in a can and looks a bit like Guinness,looks proper tasty.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ballsacky wrote: »
    Anyone know where you can get this?.
    The UK. It's brewed in Suffolk by Greene King. I don't think it's imported to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's about as Wexford as I am. And that's not very much at all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 charley mcguffin

I believe , that although brewed in Suffolk ,the original recipe was licenced from Letts of Enniscorthy who went out of the brewing business in 1956. Letts recipes are also licenced for use in the US where its Ruby Ale is called St. Killians Red by Coors and in France it is sold as George Killian's Biere Rousse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If Wexford cream ale is anything like Killians, then don't ever let it touch your lips.
    By all accounts, and they may be wrong, It's Coors lite with red dye number 5.

On a side note, I find it amusing that Chrome spell check does not believe there is a word called Wexford and wants to change it to Waterford :D

I believe , that although brewed in Suffolk ,the original recipe was licenced from Letts of Enniscorthy who went out of the brewing business in 1956.
    The Wexford Cream Ale is nitrogenated, which wouldn't have been heard of in Enniscorthy in 1956. Sounds like marketing nonsense to me.
    Letts recipes are also licenced for use in the US where its Ruby Ale is called St. Killians Red by Coors and in France it is sold as George Killian's Biere Rousse.
    The name may be licensed but the recipe certainly isn't: as Saruman says, Killian's Red/Rousse is a lager.

Lett's is still a licensed brewery, interestingly enough. We may be seeing them back in action for real at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

BeerNut wrote: »
    Lett's is still a licensed brewery, interestingly enough. We may be seeing them back in action for real at some point.
    Thats very interesting. I wonder how many of the old Irish breweries still hold licences if anyone can share any information.

Also would anyone know if the recipes for any of the old irish brews still exist, or are in the public domain?

My dad and his mother are from Laois and i've often heard both of them talk about Perrys Ale and how it was all anyone drank back in the day (in Laois). Darina Allen has wrote about it too being from Laois.

Im assuming the vast majority of old licences and recipes are held in a dark cupboard in Diageo HQ but I hope not.

If this should be a new thread please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Resurrecting an old thread here but is it possible to buy this beer anywhere in Ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement