Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling Discipline.

• 06-07-2006 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

Pighead enjoys gambling as a hobby and to me there is nothing better than putting on an accumulator with 4 or 5 teams on a Saturday afternoon and the excitement/joy/despair that follows.

Unfortunately I have found my discipline to be my biggest downfall when betting. When I get a winner on a Saturday afternoon I'll generally get cocky and have another bet on a sport I know little about (eg Horse Racing) and invariably lose most of my winnings. I once won 200 quid from a 10 euro accumulator (including two 90th minute winners from 4 games!) and proceeded to lose it in about 10 mins gambling on such gems as the Oxford Cambridge boat race and English League Cricket. Pigheads needs disciplining(Easy Coolsmileygirl, Pigheads not talking to you)

Anyway I'm just wondering how disciplined you lot are when it comes to gambling.

Oh and by the way, Hurrah for The Brand Spanking New Gambling Forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Know the feeling Pighead, I used to do the exact same thing.

A lot of the gambling stuff I've been reading refers to taking a long term view of things. So rather than just bet on a game for the sake of it, just wait until a bet comes up which you have researched. It puts you in a better position.

Also, avoid those accumulators. Bookies love em because the more games you choose the more chance they have of winning. Pick a decent long-shot, thats where you'll find the value. (e.g Ghana beat the Czechs recently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I am very disciplined. I think its down to the fact i am a student with very little income. I know i cant risk losing money on stupid bets i know nothing about. If i was working full time and i would probaly be alot more riskier and wouldnt mind throwing the odd 20euro on stuff i know little about.

I only bet on football or American football. Outside of that i wouldnt risk it. Only other thing is the bet on the Grand national, more for the fun of it.

I disagree about the acummulators. Anything over 4 is a risk. But i think 3-4 is a solid enough number.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

had a bit of a habbit from 16 - 19 years, horses and football really. I found the rugby league best value form money in terms of single match betting but dont know much about it.

I calmed down dramatically recently, havent stayed out of bookie shop for about 3 years, i occasionally have a flutter 50c -yankees, soccer pools, and a €10 horse bet. My horse bet is usually Tempelgates (phil logan writes for sun) nap, if its reasonable enough. If its a 7/4 to 5/1 favourite I dont hesitate to back it. Keep eye out for it.

Its a dangerous game to get in to if ya get hooked. I was carryin cash (at 17, year old livin with parents ) I shouldnt have been carryin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Like Chucky the Tree I`m a student so I think that makes me diciplined. I just bet on the favourites all the time with decent odds, they almost always win. They`re favourites for a reason. I don`t do horse racing though.

Beau wrote:
    Like Chucky the Tree I`m a student so I think that makes me diciplined. I just bet on the favourites all the time with decent odds, they almost always win. They`re favourites for a reason. I don`t do horse racing though.

What sports do you generally back on? Golf offers good prices but too tough to call. Im developin a passion for texas + omaha hold'em poker. not touchin the online accounts, I'll be in the red in a week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i also seriosuly recommend people only make small bets. Betting 50euro or a ton on one bet is crazy in my opinion. Unless its a one off every 6 months or so.

I limit myself to 30euro a week at most. Usually i just put 2 10euro bets on. I know if i lose that its only a score. No big deal. However my accumlatros usually work out at about 6/1 or so. If i win i know i have 6 free bets basically. It would be unlikely for me to go 6 weeks without some sort of profit.

When people start dealing in big money thats when the trouble starts. If you make 2 ton bets in a weekend thats a lose of 200euro. Even to people with full time jobs thats alot of money. People then get desperate to try and make that money back so they stick a few more bets down and if they lose those it can be a slippery slope. Once your are trying to make catch up its very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Trilla wrote:
    What sports do you generally back on?

I bet on soccer, rugby, gaelic and financial bets. I even bet on stuff that I don`t have a bulls notion on, I just go by the price on the on the favourite and how far the price is away from the opposing bet. I haven`t lost any money yet touch wood.
    Trilla wrote:
    not touchin the online accounts, I'll be in the red in a week!

Your probably right on the poker there but i find betfair.com far better than going into a bookies and paying with cash. It tells you exactly how much you have seposited and withdrawn so its easy to account for how much your winning and losing. What I do is say deposit a tenner and then when I make say twenty, I withdraw a tenner so that I`m only playing with winnings rather than my income.

Beau wrote:
    .... What I do is say deposit a tenner and then when I make say twenty, I withdraw a tenner so that I`m only playing with winnings rather than my income.

v good idea, hope for ur sake ya keep it up though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its all a game really dont bet to win money (altho i do) i bet for the fun. Every week an EL treble 9 out of 10 times i win.

When PL starts i bet on every game €3 max on them in an Accumm came good 4 times but its really only to have me watching Soccer Saturday with some interest.

World cup when there was 3 games on a day i won 580 simply betting on trebles on bankers, in the 1st games there were no shocks every favourite won.

But in saying that i cant remember the last time i put my hand in my pocket and used my own money to bet, EL trebles are pretty much bankers and the winnings go on the next one.

LOl i won €50 on an all cash and went back to the shop and bought 50 All cash :D (won 24 and 7 free cards, that game went on for months winning free cards and 2 quids)

Its all fun , and i never bet on anything i have no clue about horsies etc:

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

I would consider myself diciplined.
    I only really bet on horses, although I often make a 'fun' sports bet. I usually only bet online (mainly using systems) and record everything in spreadsheets, adjusting my daily stake as a % of the bank.

That said, Sunday is my day out away from the family, and I spend it in the pub and bookies, so I often place a few 'fun' bets which are probably not profitable overall.

I always paper trade my systems over around 100 bets (more for lay systems) before I go 'live' with real money. So yeah, I would be fairly diciplined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭masterK

I used to be quite ill disciplined but it's something that comes with experience (bad experiences I might add), I remember soon after Betfair laucnhed building up my balance to near €1000 from €20 I had deposited. I fractured my elbow so was out of work for a week during a miserable winters week and I blew the lot in the space of 2 days on stupid bets out of boredom, every time I lost I just bet more and more, ended up with a €250 on a horse that fell, which was the end of my winnings.

After that and other similar less costly incidents I learnt, I'm now quite disciplined and rarely make silly bets (although I have the odd lapse). One thing that I found very useful was to keep a spreadsheet of your bets, when you look back over it you can see quite clearly which are the stupid bets and they stick in your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

masterK wrote:
    One thing that I found very useful was to keep a spreadsheet of your bets, when you look back over it you can see quite clearly which are the stupid bets and they stick in your mind.

Agreed. And make sure you set the minus figures to red, so they really stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

masterK wrote:
    when you look back over it you can see quite clearly which are the stupid bets and they stick in your mind.

Very important, and very useful. Since the World Cup started, I am well down. Down around 10 points mainly due to 3 stupid bets. 4 pts Spain-Saudi Arabia over 1.5 goals, 2 pts Ukraine-Tunisia over 1.5 goals, and a horrific 8 pt loss on New Zealand-11.5 in the recent rugby union test match when they beat Ireland by 11.

Identifying your stupid bets and trying to avoid similar in the future is vital to making money in the long term.

Bateman wrote:
    Identifying your stupid bets and trying to avoid similar in the future is vital to making money in the long term.

yeah a learning curve to say the least. I never do across the board doubles, 49r's or horse racing match betting(Paddy Power) anymore. v dangerous. Templegates nap [David Junior] came home in the big one at Sandown yesterday[Coral Eclipse 3.15]. A race that favourites usually lose and the fillie Ouija Board disappointed in. Was anyone on him? had him in a double with harvest Joy in Nottingham last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

I quite often have fun bets on a boring afternoon when i have nothing to do but if im betting on something i have no idea about, i keep the bets very small. For example, if im quite sure about a horse, i could bet €200/€300+ on it but as you gave the example above, a boat race where to me it would be a shot in the dark, i would keep it to about €5 max. For a bet like that, the money wouldnt matter to me, i would be happy just to ge it right even if the payout is tiny. Fun bets pass the time and so they dont need to be big whereas horse racing ect is to make money and so i bet more seriously but these days less frequrently and i choose my bets carefully. If you feel like betting on horses but know little about them, i would advise taking a look at the horse racing forum. MasterK and wbailey above along with a few others are very good tipsters and can help out alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 007Kevin

on Betfair i tried setting limits of winning £100 per day MAXIMUM ...... started well but failed miserably and got 'too greedy' and lost thousands. Trying again :mad:

profit today = £119.07 so i'm 'walking away'. this is the third time doing this £100 limit exercise - i need discipline!! Like others have said, when you're on a roll of winning you feel invincible and therefore take ridiculous risks...... although i thought backing my whole stake on Australia beating Scotand at rugby yesterday would be a dead cert. but it cleared me out and i lost all my profits for previous 3 weeks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Yesterday had a limit of €20 walked away with €600 and a big smile

your limit is working then?

I'm seeing my limit as a bit like virtual methadone ..... i have to have my 'fix' for the day...... the difficulty is having the discipline to stop!! any advice on that from anyone would be most helpful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

007Kevin wrote: »
    I'm seeing my limit as a bit like virtual methadone ..... i have to have my 'fix' for the day...... the difficulty is having the discipline to stop!! any advice on that from anyone would be most helpful!!

The best thing you can do is just do your bets in the morning time then head home and watch them. Staying in a bookies all day is not healthy you will never beat the bookie that way

• Advertisement

I never go into bookies - do it all online ...... so not handling any cash - just numbers on a screen so it doesn't feel like money; and it's 24/7 if i wanted to - which is even more temptation i suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

007Kevin wrote: »
    I never go into bookies - do it all online ...... so not handling any cash - just numbers on a screen so it doesn't feel like money; and it's 24/7 if i wanted to - which is even more temptation i suppose

I find online temptation is no where near as bad as in the shop.

You can study the form in peace and quiet also and far less desire to chase any losses (which is my weak point).

After betting for many years I have come to the conclusion that you should only do bets that pay an amount a set amount of money that means you won't bet again for at least a weak and the winnings win be used for something other than betting.

Right now, my win target is €2000 and so will make sure that any bet I do, pays that amount.

The reason I do this is because there is nothing worse than having second'itis on big win bets and constantly just missing out in accums and the like only to finally get a few winners when the accum pays €37 - it's a pain in the proverbials.

At least if you stick to bets that pay decent, then when your luck changes, you'll be well rewarded for sticking with it.

Doing very badly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

If you cant be extremely diciplined you will continue to lose.

allow yourself 1 bet a week at odds of under 2/1 for 5% of your bankroll.

if things are affecting your life badly you need to stop gambling and contact gamble aware.

become aware of your triggers and avoid at all costs.

Advertisement