Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plywood clock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Do you have access to a CNC machine or did you file all those teeth painstakingly by hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

peasant wrote: »
    Do you have access to a CNC machine or did you file all those teeth painstakingly by hand?

I cut them out using a scroll saw.

Hourgearcutting-1.jpg

Hourgearcutting2-1.jpg

Fully built and running, before cleaning up, and painting the frame.
    Clockbeforepainting.jpg

Here I have taken the clock apart after it was running a week with hands etc all fitted, to paint the frame and hands black. I left the gears bare.
    Photo0507.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Amazing stuff. Do you sell your creations?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Amazing stuff. Do you sell your creations?

Not so far anyway. That`s the first attempt at a clock I made, based on partial plans I had from someone else`s design, with a few changes here and there. The mechanism is straight forward enough though, so designing from scratch would not be too difficult once there is an understanding of the gear ratios. There are gear design templates on the net, and then its just a matter of getting a ratio to drive the hour and minute hands from the great wheel (wheel driven by the weight), regulated by the escape wheel turning once every 60 seconds as governed by the pendulum length. The tricky part is getting the pallets to properly interact with the escape wheel, and also getting the front frame plate and back one lined up precisely enough so the gear arbours (axle`s) bearings are nice and free running.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Amazing stuff, fair play!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You'll do well to find a strap that goes with it!

Seriously though - brilliant work.

Eoin wrote: »
    You'll do well to find a strap that goes with it!
    I know, and you would have to hold the wrist up at least enough to keep the 39 inch pendulum off the ground:)
    Seriously though - brilliant work.

It turned out well at least.Its an unusual one to have up on the living room wall. I was surprised at how well it worked. When I first started it, I was confident I could get it working, but as it was near finished, and I was testing a gear at a time in the frame for smooth running, I was not quite as confident, especially when I started setting up the escapement. But it is running a month now, only stopping when I stopped it to dis- assemble and paint, and for a couple of pendulum length adjustments. It seems to run very reliably so far.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I tried making one myself a few years back. My design was pretty funky if I do say so myself :D Even incorporated a grasshopper escapement. Suffice to say after a few sessions with a scroll saw I'm damn lucky to be still able to count to ten. :o:D So I'm full of admiration for your work robbie7730

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I tried making one myself a few years back. My design was pretty funky if I do say so myself :D Even incorporated a grasshopper escapement. Suffice to say after a few sessions with a scroll saw I'm damn lucky to be still able to count to ten. :o:D So I'm full of admiration for your work robbie7730

The escapement is one of the hard parts to get working. A grasshopper one would be even more so. Did you get it completely built?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had it kinda working, though had to apply the force manually. I reckon it might have worked if I'd gotten the gears right.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I had it kinda working, though had to apply the force manually. I reckon it might have worked if I'd gotten the gears right.

Yea one of the main things to get right is the gears meshing without sticking. Adding in one gear at a time and getting them running smoothly before adding the next one is the way to do it. Frame bearing alignment from front to back is one that causes difficulty for many people making these wood clocks, and was the main one I had in mind while making this one. The further into the drive train the gear is from the drive weight, the less friction it takes to stop the clock.

If you were able to get a grasshopper escapement regulated mechanism working at all, then I think you must have been very close to having everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Lovely Stuff

there is a website called woodenclocks.co.uk

The have a lot of plans etc

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Lovely Stuff

there is a website called woodenclocks.co.uk

The have a lot of plans etc

Yea i seen that site before alright. The basics of the gearing on most mechanical weight driven clocks is similar, but it does allow for a wide variation in design possibilities.

I was looking at videos of tower clocks in buildings, and the mechanism is practically the same as well, except with metal gears, and hundreds of pounds weight to drive them. Even the pendulum is the same length, although that can be changed by changing the gear ratio between the minute hand and the escape wheel during the design, if it was required to be a different length.

I made another one and thought I would put it up, just made the gears first for a 60:1 ratio from minute wheel to escape wheel, then 2:1 for weight drive, then made up a frame to suit. Its a fair bit from finished, but just got the mechanism running yesterday, and made the 12:1 hour hand reduction gears today.

PICT0280.jpg

Video is not great but it shows it working anyway. The numeral dial is just hanging on a protruding shaft for now, so is not central yet. Have a temporary minute hand on it borrowed from the other clock.

That's bloody wonderful robbie7730. :) Thanks(again) for sharing. I'm looking at the numerals wheel and thinking "scrollsaw"? :eek:. After my last attempts my scrollsaw languishes in my shed on account of my phobia of seeing my own blood. BTW anyone want a scrollsaw? free to a good home. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I just love these. Beautiful. Have you painted one up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Wow, That looks fantastic. Great work dude.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I just love these. Beautiful. Have you painted one up yet?

No, that is the 3rd clock I made so far, the first two being the same as the one at the start of this thread, and I just sort of made this last one up as I went along, with no plans, so I am not sure if I will paint it at all yet. This one worked straight away, the other two needed a fair bit of tweaking of gear teeth.

There is a bit more to do on it such as a pulley for the weight to get double the run time which was the intention, and make the hands etc.

So for painting, no decisions yet. Maybe black frame and black numerals or something like that, or leave as is.

That's bloody wonderful robbie7730. :) Thanks(again) for sharing. I'm looking at the numerals wheel and thinking "scrollsaw"? :eek:. After my last attempts my scrollsaw languishes in my shed on account of my phobia of seeing my own blood. BTW anyone want a scrollsaw? free to a good home. :D

Here is the numerals being cut out. It was easy enough, but time consuming because of all the internal cuts. Still needs a bit of cleaning up and sanding.
    Photo0381.jpg

Frame with main gears. I just drew the frame direct onto the ply with a pencil and straight edge, and a curved edge I had from a different project I used for the top and bottom curves in the frame.
    Photo0337.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

BTW anyone want a scrollsaw? free to a good home. :D

Me please ! :D
    (If you're serious)

Oh yea serious alright. It's just eating up space in my shed at the mo. I'll check to see if it works first though. It's been there for a few years so I dont know if it's still a goer. If it is you're welcome to it.

I have it more or less finished, so I thought I`d put a photo up.
    RE-1Clock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Homer

If you decide to start selling them I'd be very interested! Fantastic work!

Homer wrote: »
    If you decide to start selling them I'd be very interested! Fantastic work!

I dont think I will ever be selling them to make money as such. But if I make another one, I will have to do something to get it out of the house, there are 3 clocks here now running, its like the start of the 1960 film the time machine where he has loads of clocks in his house:D.

This last one looks really well in the hall, and looks like how i visualised it a few weeks ago. I might just make another one or two the same as that one as it turned out well.

If I make one that I am going to pass on, I will link it in here maybe.

It still works anyway.

Live view of the clock for a few hours here.

The window bars can move it more central.

Another clock video in real time for a few hours today, this time of a clock I seen on youtube a few times and liked the look of it, and got onto the cad and drew up my own interpretation of it in July. Its going since July now apart from when I forget to wind it. There is a button to switch audio on, if the slider is moved to bottom of video window.

Live stream

Made a couple more clocks since the last one on the thread, but last week decided to have a go at an Arnfield escapement, which is an interesting setup when seen in action. Just the minimum to get it going is done on it now, still needs sanding, hands, painting etc if I get round to it.

10 arms on the escape wheel rather than the 6 in the link above.

The video exagerated the sound level, but it still has a fair clatter out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

If you're ever looking to make some cash with these, make sure to let us know first☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

That's a work of art. Wow.

Advertisement