Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU Fiscal Treaty Referendum - time to fill your boots?

• 19-04-2012 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Yawn, yawn I know but at least we can make some cash out of the impending referendum can't we? PP have the YES vote at 1/4 on, and given that the Yes campaign appears to be well ahead without resorting to the plague of locusts and rivers of blood arguments - yet - I think it's money in the bank. Stick on a few quid and encourage all your friends, neighbours, relatives to do likewise and, of course, vote early and often. :D

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=600658

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,615 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

According to the Irish Times poll this morning:

30% said they would vote Yes
    23% = No
    8% = Wouldn't vote
    &
    23% Undecided

The undecided voters hold the key and it's not a 1/4 shot in my opinion.

Taking out Undecided and not bothering to vote, it's 58 Yes - 42 No.
    Again that's not a 1/4 shot either.

The Lisbon Treaty many moons ago had a much bigger lead but failed to come in.
    However the No vote has halved in the last 6 months but I wouldn't be getting stuck in at those odds, I think you'll get bigger closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

I would have thought the NO vote was shoo-in

We like to stick it to the government in the first vote just to keep them on their toes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

DB74 wrote: »
    I would have thought the NO vote was shoo-in

We like to stick it to the government in the first vote just to keep them on their toes!

This isn't the first referendum of this government. There was the judicial pay and Dail investigative referendums in 2011.

1 passed, 1 failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

This is Jonjo's patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

okidoki987 wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times poll this morning:

30% said they would vote Yes
    23% = No
    8% = Wouldn't vote
    &
    23% Undecided

The undecided voters hold the key and it's not a 1/4 shot in my opinion.

Taking out Undecided and not bothering to vote, it's 58 Yes - 42 No.
    Again that's not a 1/4 shot either.

The Lisbon Treaty many moons ago had a much bigger lead but failed to come in.
    However the No vote has halved in the last 6 months but I wouldn't be getting stuck in at those odds, I think you'll get bigger closer to the date.

Agreed, but the Lisbon Treaty didn't matter a damn and this one could mean the difference in the ATMs working or not - if and when Ireland needs another bailout. This is not the type of vote to give the government a kicking on. I think when push comes to shove most people will be frightened into voting yes. It will be the first time in over 30 years that I have voted pro-EEC/EU on anything.

• Advertisement

bren2002 wrote: »
    This isn't the first referendum of this government. There was the judicial pay and Dail investigative referendums in 2011.

1 passed, 1 failed.

I was referring more to EU-relevant referendums

And the judicial referendum was more about sticking it to the judges than anything else

I've taken the 7/2 with Ladbrokes for a NO vote

YES vote now 1/3 with Paddy Powers with NO into 9/4

NO still 7/2 with Ladbrokes

4/1 No with Lads, 7/2, 3/1 now 11/4 :(

9/4 now and may get shorter with Mandate advising their people to vote No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

ft9 wrote: »
    This is Jonjo's patch.

Sorry guys have not been around the last few days, indeed i do think the yes is a shoe in, currently 4/9 at P.P, will go heavy on this.

• Advertisement

On what basis ooc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Saw something in today's paper re the unions recommending a NO vote.

Yes is now 1/2 with PP but with all the contradictory propaganda now I'm not as confident as I was. However, I'm still having some more at that price. :D

YES vote now 4/7 Paddy Power (1/2 with Ladbrokes)
    NO vote now 6/4 Ladbrokes (5/4 Paddy)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

Im voting yes simply because I want the atms to keep flowimg until I go abroad to seek my fortune and with 60,000 mortgages in arrears and more on interest only payments we will need more money from europe sooner rather than later. The undecided, when they realise the short term repercussions, which is all most people are concerned about, will vote yes.
    the yes campaign will scaremonger in the couple days before the vote in the national media, the no vote will congregrate in the garden of rememberance with colourful banners. Who do you think will have the biggest effect on michael and mary on the farm in leitrim?

4/7 is definately value.

I think the Ayes have it (1/10 with Paddy, 1/5 with Laddie)

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I know nothing about this Treaty but every single person who mentioned it to me or brought it up in conversation has said they will be voting no.

No vote 11/2 Ladbrokes

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

I think that 11/2 is bet of the year.
    Surely this is a 50-50 race at this stage?
    Anyone know when the next poll will be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

Currently 1/16 (:rolleyes:) for yes and 6/1 no with pp. Anyone think a yes result is really as certain as this? If it is, does anyone have any good guesses on how large the winning margin might be?

On paddypower it says over 24% winning margin is 6/1; does this mean they pay out if the result is over 62% yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

unlikely to that big a margin, most undecided voters tend to either not vote, or vote NO.
    and if the judge this morning rules in favour of Sinn Fein's legal challenge against the Referendum Commission, things could get very interesting.

• Advertisement

Okay guys i can now announce my bet, i didnt want to post it before in case people betting on it and the price went in.
    I have done the margin of the Yes victory at 16.01% -24% at 9/2 with P.P for 500 Eur.
    I need 58% yes vote to win, which i think is in the bag, i put the yes vote at 58-59%.

Okay guys i can now announce my bet, i didnt want to post it before in case people betting on it and the price went in.
    I have done the margin of the Yes victory at 16.01% -24% at 9/2 with P.P for 500 Eur.
    I need 58% yes vote to win, which i think is in the bag, i put the yes vote at 58-59%.
    how did you arrive at 16.01%?

Formation wrote: »
    how did you arrive at 16.01%?

That the betting 16.01% to 24% 9/2 now 4/1.
    If its dead on 16% magin i loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

That the betting 16.01% to 24% 9/2 now 4/1.
    If its dead on 16% magin i loose.

What bookies is that 4/1 with? Paddypower seem to have taken away that market

After all my talk at the start of the thread I couldn't break the habit of a lifetime. :D

VOTE%2B002.jpg

What bookies is that 4/1 with? Paddypower seem to have taken away that market

Yeah its with P.P, i got 9/2 earlier this morning.
    Betting is gone think it said 16:00 was the cut off point.

Can you provide a screenshot of the bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jj92

I looked at a few (very unscientific) online polls... boards.ie, breakingnews.ie, politocs.ie and all give it to the NO side about 55-60 v 30ish. that said and the expected low turnout + the rain, this morning I bet on a No win at 7/1 with PP.

Is it not strange that these online polls can be the polar opposite to the official ones? Anyway, it seemed like a good bet... almost a no brainer and I missed the larger odds.

Formation wrote: »
    Can you provide a screenshot of the bet?

The market was freely available for the last week or so

It was in increments of 8%

Boyles are still betting on it although their over/under is 10.5%

http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/irish-eu-referendum/winning-margin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

After all my talk at the start of the thread I couldn't break the habit of a lifetime. :D

VOTE%2B002.jpg
    If you wanted "No EU Super State" why didnt ya just vote no instead of spoiling your vote ? :confused:

Advertisement