Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

flazio wrote: »
    Yeah, roundabouts are so efficient at managing traffic flow, just look at Galway Cit....oh no wait, nevermind.

1. This isnt Galway, traffic flow nowhere near as high
    2. Replacing them with traffic lights slows my journey (yes even in Galway)
    3. Any county councillor allowing the installation of traffic lights should be immediately shot.

LILOs ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

1) Its not their money,
    2) You cant be held responsible for wasting money,
    3) They dont give a crap , think of all the delays that roadworks caused last year during bypass construction, and now more delays during construction of the poxy lights.

Also it was interesting to note that the lights werent working this weekend for the community games at the Garrycastle exit,
    Oh is it because it would have caused a line of traffic onto the bypass ??

• billbond4 wrote: »
    1) Its not their money,
    2) You cant be held responsible for wasting money,
    3) They dont give a crap , think of all the delays that roadworks caused last year during bypass construction, and now more delays during construction of the poxy lights.

Also it was interesting to note that the lights werent working this weekend for the community games at the Garrycastle exit,
    Oh is it because it would have caused a line of traffic onto the bypass ??

Hopefully those lights will be "intelligent" and wil switch rapidly enough to allow traffic to exit the slip roads without causing unnecesary delay to traffic on the main road. If they are, then it will save a lot of frustration getting off the bypass.

I still would have preferred mini-roundabouts though.

• J10 closed this morning!

Those bloody VMS signs take so long to flash the mesage that you can never read all three screenfulls without slowing right down! :mad:

i saw that they were cutting out parts of the slip roads, so that must be for the sensors for the lights.

Seemingly 6 weeks of works for the J10 area, just two weeks of ****e with the slip roads though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Any chance the guards would remove that "abandoned" Furniture truck after Junction 12? Nice to know that a store is doing so well it can do without a truck doing it's proper job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

flazio wrote: »
    Any chance the guards would remove that "abandoned" Furniture truck after Junction 12? Nice to know that a store is doing so well it can do without a truck doing it's proper job.
    Could this be a job for the County Council rather than the Gardai?

yeah H&S dept of the County Council should be responsible for this.
    Also Co Co are allowed to charge for advertising like this, i bet they dont bother their arse trying to make extra revenue

Plenty of delays today, hopefully it will ease off once New surface is laid

All exits closed at j10 this evening without notice.
    Eastbound and westbound lanes down to one lane between j9 and j8 to redo new surface! That must be a record, surface is barely 6 months old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Sure only the best will do for us Athlonians - can't be driving on six month old road! :D

• Some sections of the M6 near Kilbeggan needed resurfacing within months of being laid, it's working in bad weather that makes the surface not "stick" to the sublayer.

It must be more cost effective to fix the sections that fail than to slow the construction down due to weather.

Thats true, we constantly need new road surfaces.
    Also the M6 is going to be closed westbound & eastbound between J13 and J14 in June, will see can I get dates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Noticed newly resurfaced sections on the M8 too - two ways of looking at it - it should have been done right in the first place :(, but on the other hand, shows that the maintenance is being done on the motorways :).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Huge volumes of the M4 tolled section were re-surfaced (lane-width patching rather than a full resurface) within weeks of opening. Sometimes it goes wrong.

The contractor is liable to fix any issues that occur within a certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

The lights at Garrycastle and Ballymahon Road junctions are supposed to have gone live today - anyone been through yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

whyulittle wrote: »
    The lights at Garrycastle and Ballymahon Road junctions are supposed to have gone live today - anyone been through yet? :)

Went through the ballymahon road lights, there was little traffic at the time,
    Can't see it working too well during heavy traffic

• The lights at Coosan were a disaster just after six tonight! :mad:

As predicted the queues were long in all directions.

Oh surprise. Surprise. We were proved right.
    Sure what I would I know about peak time traffic. I'm just a lowly engineer.
    Seemingly the guards turned off the light's .a nice waste of eu money

Oh surprise. Surprise. We were proved right.
    Sure what I would I know about peak time traffic. I'm just a lowly engineer.
    Seemingly the guards turned off the light's .a nice waste of eu money
    Which ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The lights at J11 were on yesterday evening and this morning, no problems for me. It often takes a while to get the sequence tuned after lights go on.

I do think that they could have gone with dumb-bell roundabouts at J11, there's plenty of land there.

At j10 town centre guards turned them off last night and they were still off this morning.
    Garycastle were on yesterday, not sure about today

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

garrycastle off again this morning :-) priceless!! no wonder with the queues in all directions yesterday evening. has to be the shortest lived lights ever. that said, id say they are only off temporarily, theres a lot of activity there this morning so they are probably still trying to finish the works

Will have athlone guard station on speeddial so can ring them every time the lights are turned back on. Hopefully they will stay off

Will have athlone guard station on speeddial so can ring them every time the lights are turned back on. Hopefully they will stay off
    ;)

Coosan was backed up in all directions again this morning (@10:30!) I was coming from the west and dodged them by turning left U'ing at the roundabout and getting past a queue of ten or so cars turning right and the lights not changing. :rolleyes:

As one of the few that actually sent in an objection to the installation of the lights and I proposed dumb bell roundabouts at J9, 10 & 11, a suggestion that was dismissed out of hand!.
    I feel totally justified in saying to the council engineers!

I TOLD YOU SO! :mad:

Why do they pick the most expensive options, have they "friends" in the traffic light manufacturers & installers trade association. :rolleyes:
    Wh

billbond4 wrote: »
    ;)

As one of the few that actually sent in an objection to the installation of the lights and I proposed dumb bell roundabouts at J9, 10 & 11, a suggestion that was dismissed out of hand!.
    I feel totally justified in saying to the council engineers!

I TOLD YOU SO! :mad:

Why do they pick the most expensive options, have they "friends" in the traffic light manufacturers & installers trade association. :rolleyes:
    Its probably eu money, so they probably wanted to spend it on something.

I was another of the objectors, so I'm glad saying today too, I told you so

• Coosan lights now switched off!
    Queues gone!

Its probably eu money, so they probably wanted to spend it on something.

I was another of the objectors, so I'm glad saying today too, I told you so
    Unfortunately, it will be taxpayers (ours) that will be used to rectify the screwup!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I don't understand why they turned the lights on at J9 what with the filter lanes still coned off. Half of the road space going through the junction is unavailable. I didn't take a close look but chances are some of the sensors are un-triggerable as well because the lanes are closed. Doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

They seem to have turned all the lights off again. I think they were just testing them.

Advertisement