Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paddy Power make Katie Taylor 1-4 to win Gold

Options
  • 22-05-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Seriously PP, wtf?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

Well to be honest she wont lose... thats a fact paddy could of went lower if he wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

FANTAPANTS wrote: »
    Well to be honest she wont lose... thats a fact paddy could of went lower if he wanted

1-4 is a scandalous price. The pressure on her will be greater than ever plus its like Cheltenham, every boxer will be at their best. I hope she does it but 1-4 is one of the worst prices i have seen this year.

yeah 1-4 is pretty bad the more i think about it lets start a campain to get paddy to put her at 4/5 leading up to the games???? it might be worth a gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Usain Bolt is 8/15 in the 100m I taught he'd be about 1/20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Warper wrote: »
    Seriously PP, wtf?

Only bookie offering a price on her so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1-4 is a scandalous price. The pressure on her will be greater than ever plus its like Cheltenham, every boxer will be at their best. I hope she does it but 1-4 is one of the worst prices i have seen this year.

If you were a booky and likey to take at least few grand in bets, what price would you offer?

not that 1 who the ff is gonna back a 1/4 ????

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Wishful Thinking

Yeah 1/4 just feels wrong but I'm sure Paddy would get his head taken off at 4/5. I think we just hate to see the pressure on her shoulders which will be enormous. Shes clearly the best but anything can happen

Remember Sonia at Atlanta 96- I think the country has higher expectation on Katie

As for Usain, there is 8/13 out there. Seems mad to me, DQ I'n world finals but Blake etc will need Bolt to really underperform

Does Ireland have any other genuine medal contenders now Ward missed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does Ireland have any other genuine medal contenders now Ward missed out?

Is the guy that used to canoe for Poland not the world champion or somesuch?

na katie only hope might fish around english bookies b4 the start they might rate her less than we do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Is the guy that used to canoe for Poland not the world champion or somesuch?
    Yep. Big contender for a medal.

He's been living here for a while. Did the Polish championships this year but had a falling out with the management, or some such, and threw his lot in with us.

Looks like the Poles will be giving us more than foxy waitresses this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

She's 1/4 because Paddy knows that plenty of people on the street will punt her anyway

You'll get better closer to the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Remember Sonia at Atlanta 96- I think the country has higher expectation on Katie

Disagree, Sonia O'Sullivan was in the main events and was a household name. She still is a household name.
    Good luck to Katie Taylor but few enough know anything about her sport or what she has achieved.
    Of course this is a gambling forum so you do but most will have far less knowledge

As for the odds, the British bookies will give better prices

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

She's won the last 4 World Championships.
    Couldn't see anybody getting close to her, I'd make her a 1/10 shot.
    Better bet could be with Boyles for her to win Sports Personality, dependent on how we get on in the Euro's though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It is an awful price normally, but they know they will be hammered by shop punters who don't properly understand value, so if they can get away with 1/4 then I can't blame them sadly. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

okidoki987 wrote: »
    She's won the last 4 World Championships.
    Couldn't see anybody getting close to her, I'd make her a 1/10 shot.
    Better bet could be with Boyles for her to win Sports Personality, dependent on how we get on in the Euro's though.

There you said it! Won the last 4 world championships and has a bye into the last 8. IF anyone offered 4/5 they' be fleeced.
    The only thing is you could have a cut at 1/4 as Powers will probably pay out early as a publicity stunt :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

If 1/4 is available on the eve of her first fight, I will be all over it like a rash.

Only has to win 3 fights to win gold and pretty much zero chance of a dodgy judges decision as it is in England with no English contenders plus Seb Coe has been talking her up as a poster girl of the games. She wiill not be screwed over and has not been beaten genuinely in an enormous amount of fights.

I would have her shorter than Bolt for the 100m. We saw at the World's that a false start and youre gone. U cant make any mistake in the 100m whereas in amateur boxing you can. Katie should win but come the Games i would be shocked if she was shorter than 1-2. No one in their right mind could back her at 1-4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Just changing the subject slightly as its being discussed, but is the false start rule the same in the sprints as the WC?

finbarrk wrote: »
    Just changing the subject slightly as its being discussed, but is the false start rule the same in the sprints as the WC?

After someone FS for the 1st time, then anyone that FS after that is DQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

finbarrk wrote: »

After someone FS for the 1st time, then anyone that FS after that is DQ
    You sure about that? I think it's zero tolerance now is it not? ie no second chance at all. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

if it is such a bad price ,feel free to go on the exchanges and request they put up a market and let the market decide , i agree with earlier comments that PP are right

mickmc7 wrote: »
    You sure about that? I think it's zero tolerance now is it not? ie no second chance at all. Open to correction.

U are right, apologies, zero tolerance applies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

mickmc7 wrote: »

As in the first person to jump the blocks is out? When did that rule come in? I thought it was one false start and the field is on a yellow card and whoever does it after that goes regardless of whether they'd done it the first time.

Back on topic and as has been said already 1/4 for winner of last four world championships and a bye into quarter finals wouldnt be a ludicrous price at all. Not my cup of tea as I know very little about women's boxing but I can see where they're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a pretty fair price tbh. She was higher before with the WC last month. But winning verses the 64kg boxers was the last question. 80% to win gold here is about right. Plus the number 2 and number 3 didn't qualify.
    I'll be all over 1/4 if it comes to it tbh.

Only has to win 3 fights to win gold and pretty much zero chance of a dodgy judges decision as it is in England with no English contenders plus Seb Coe has been talking her up as a poster girl of the games. She wiill not be screwed over and has not been beaten genuinely in an enormous amount of fights.

Natasha Jonas is a decent prospect for the Brits. Will be in with a chance of silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

1/4 isn't reflective of her chances but is certainly reflective of the weight of expectation the Irish public have on Katie, and hence the amount of money people are looking to wager. Bookie's aren't there to be fair, they're there to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    1/4 isn't reflective of her chances
    You are underestimating her chances imo

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Katie Taylor 4/11 to win gold at Ladbrokes

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-ie/Olympics/BoxingOlympics/Boxing-t210002762#

Click on "Specials" and then "Irish Gold Medal Winners"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭jacool

LONDON 2012 OLYMPICS: NATASHA JONAS WARNS: I'LL KO KATIE TAYLOR
    Katie is 4/11 @Bet Victor and a more realistic 1/5 on Betfair.
    She is in the opposite half of the draw to Ochigava who is 6/1 with Skybet but only 3/1 on Betfair. No bookie is offering e.w. terms !
    These 2 are seeded so can't meet before the final.
    I read that Jones beat Taylor in an "Olympic test event" in 2011, but can't find any details on it, but Jones went down 18-10 to Ochigava in the World semi-finals earlier this year.
    Katie has beaten 8 of the other 11 and not boxed against the other 3.

• Advertisement

For all of you that said 1-4 is a great price, she is now 4-11 with Betvictor.

Lets see some screenshots of bets placed if its so good.

http://www.oddschecker.com/olympics/boxing/womens/lightweight/winner

Advertisement