Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend me an album/Name an album.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anyone care to recommend me a band/album. Listening to a lot of Editors, Brand New and Interpol lately.

Closer by Joy Division the finest album in the history of popular music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just looking for a few recommendations from these bands....I call them my "1 CD" bands as I bought one of their better known albums and never really discovered anything else by them. The ones I have are....

Elliot Smith - XO
    Bright Eyes - Cassadega
    Wilco - Summerteeth
    Band of Horses - Everything All The Time

Any recommendations from their back catalogues would be great (or indeed any other similar artists) Cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Just looking for a few recommendations from these bands....I call them my "1 CD" bands as I bought one of their better known albums and never really discovered anything else by them. The ones I have are....

Elliot Smith - XO
    Bright Eyes - Cassadega
    Wilco - Summerteeth

Any recommendations from their back catalogues would be great (or indeed any other similar artists) Cheers!:)

From the same artists, you have to try

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on a Hill

Band of Horses - Cease to Begin and Infinite Arms are both, I reckon, better than Everything all the Time, absolutely fantastic albums!

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Bright Eyes - I'd probably go for Lifted next, and then Fevers and Mirrors

If you like those, I'd imagine you would like (If you don't already),

The National - Alligator or Boxer,
    Bonnie Prince Billy - I see a darkness,
    Wintersleep - Welcome to the Night Sky,
    Dan Mangan - Nice, nice, very nice,
    Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight,
    Midlake - The trials of Van Occupanther,
    The Mountain Goats - We shall all be healed,
    Okkervil River - The Stage Names,
    Rural Alberta Advantage - Hometowns,
    Sun kil Moon - Ghosts of the great highway,
    Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

Monkey61 wrote: »
    From the same artists, you have to try

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on a Hill

Band of Horses - Cease to Begin and Infinite Arms are both, I reckon, better than Everything all the Time, absolutely fantastic albums!

Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Bright Eyes - I'd probably go for Lifted next, and then Fevers and Mirrors

If you like those, I'd imagine you would like (If you don't already),

The National - Alligator or Boxer,
    Bonnie Prince Billy - I see a darkness,
    Wintersleep - Welcome to the Night Sky,
    Dan Mangan - Nice, nice, very nice,
    Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight,
    Midlake - The trials of Van Occupanther,
    The Mountain Goats - We shall all be healed,
    Okkervil River - The Stage Names,
    Rural Alberta Advantage - Hometowns,
    Sun kil Moon - Ghosts of the great highway,
    Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary

I have The National and Bonnie Prince Billy out of that list, but I'll defo check out the rest, cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LaminatorSGL

Been listening to a lot of Passion Pit lately, with Naked & Famous and Phoenix to complement them.

Any suggestions as to other such bands that can expand my library with this kind of music? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Been listening to a lot of Passion Pit lately, with Naked & Famous and Phoenix to complement them.

Any suggestions as to other such bands that can expand my library with this kind of music? :)

Give Zoot Woman a go:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Can anyone recommend a "4ofus" album. i know they are not quite alternative, but they haven't been maindstream for a while now....

seachto7 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a "4ofus" album. i know they are not quite alternative, but they haven't been maindstream for a while now....

Heaven & Earth, released around 2003 I think. Not a huge fan or anything but I like that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

• Registered Users Posts: 23 misan9

Ruth Copeland - I am what I am

Excellent old school Funk. Look out for her cover of Gimme Shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Unquiet Nights

The Hold Steady - Almost Killed Me
    Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl
    Unquiet Nights - 21st Century Redemption Songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seldomseen

Here are a few: For starters "Elbow" are amazing try "leaders of the free world" for starters. "Doves" album "the last broadcast" is an all time classic. There's loads of class irish bands out too at the moment try "the ambience affair"s "burials". I could keep going for years!!

Heaven & Earth, released around 2003 I think. Not a huge fan or anything but I like that album.

Voice on the radio and midnight gospel choir are amazing songs!!!

Elliot Smith - XO
    Bright Eyes - Cassadega
    Wilco - Summerteeth

Band of horses- cease to begin. is amazing
    Elliot Smith-Either/or. essential listening!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Elliot Smith - XO
    Bright Eyes - Cassadega
    Wilco - Summerteeth

Elliott Smith - Figure 8
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and get the DVD on the making of it, (I am Trying to Break Your Heart)
    Bright Eyes - Digital Ash

Basically get anything by Elliott and Wilco (go Yankee -> Ghost is Born )

• Registered Users Posts: 21 joethelion

seldomseen wrote: »
    Band of horses- cease to begin. is amazing
    Elliot Smith-Either/or. essential listening!!!

Band of Horses are one of the worlds most underated bands - try The National or solo stuff like Josh Ritter for more brillance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Albums i can listen through to the end have to be Elliot Smith - XO and either/or, Neutral Milk Hotel - aeroplane over the sea, Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer, Beatles - Abbey road,maybe white album bar julia, RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik, by the way, californication, Pixies - Doolittle, Big Star No.1 Record.....got tonnes more but i think thats enough to suffice,these are all insane albums you can listen right through and id recomend to anyone except some need a few listens to really get into it

Also being a 17 year old growing up in a world of mostly painful music im glad i avoided it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnselmSakky

lordgoat wrote: »

omg lordgoat. that song was totally awesome. you have excellent taste in music.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

omg lordgoat. that song was totally awesome. you have excellent taste in music.

i just spent the last 30mins trying to figure out what i posted AOL in response to.

If you like their other stuff they are back touring this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

hi,

after downloading (legally) the soundtrack to the film "Drive" i was just wondering if the kind folks in the "alternative" forum can point me in the right direction or give me some advice on trying to find some more similar music to the film

i.e

i cant even figure out the genre. Alternative, electronica. Or something my old head hasnt heard of yet (im 30, so surely not that old yet :rolleyes:)

any help would be great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Angrybastard

The War on Drugs, album: Slave Ambient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNSaSkDNKQ

Kurt Viles old band.
    Playing Dublin soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Miles81

Everything by Death cab for Cutie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

lordgoat wrote: »
    Elliott Smith - Figure 8
    Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and get the DVD on the making of it, (I am Trying to Break Your Heart)
    Bright Eyes - Digital Ash

Basically get anything by Elliott and Wilco (go Yankee -> Ghost is Born )

Seconded. But I would suggest Either/Or instead of Figure 8 (although Figure 8 is great too).
    hi,

after downloading (legally) the soundtrack to the film "Drive" i was just wondering if the kind folks in the "alternative" forum can point me in the right direction or give me some advice on trying to find some more similar music to the film

i cant even figure out the genre. Alternative, electronica. Or something my old head hasnt heard of yet (im 30, so surely not that old yet :rolleyes:)

any help would be great

The Chromatics? Not sure if they were on the soundtrack. And get Desire's II.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

hi, i was just wondering if the kind folks in the "alternative" forum can point me in the right direction or give me some advice on trying to find some more similar music to the film

any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Hospitality-Hospitality

3846837440-1.jpg

Got a bit of a Belle and Sebastian vibe in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Glad to see a lot of National fans here :)

If you want a similar band to them, (with more distortion and a singer not too dissimiliar to Michael Stipe!), try Interpol. Such an amazing, underrated band. Turn On The Bright Lights, they're first album, is stunning, check it out! It takes a few listens to get into it, but once you do, you won't regret it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Hospitality-Hospitality
    Got a bit of a Belle and Sebastian vibe in places.
    I found them to be a very run-of-the-mill indiepop band. They're doing what has been done far better by a lot of bands. Check out Allo Darlin' instead, their self-titled debut was my favourite album of 2010 and they have a new one on the way very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Zero1986 wrote: »
    I found them to be a very run-of-the-mill indiepop band. They're doing what has been done far better by a lot of bands. Check out Allo Darlin' instead, their self-titled debut was my favourite album of 2010 and they have a new one on the way very soon.

Good recommenation. Took a punt on the new album. Still think Hosptality are a bit better than "run of the mill". Not saying it's groundbreaking or anything, just not so throw away. But liked what I am hearing from Allo Darlin.

Apologies for being a month late with the reply.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

lewisdhead wrote: »
    Good recommenation. Took a punt on the new album. Still think Hosptality are a bit better than "run of the mill". Not saying it's groundbreaking or anything, just not so throw away. But liked what I am hearing from Allo Darlin.

Apologies for being a month late with the reply.:D
    The Hospitality album is still good enough, but it still sounds a bit underwhelming in comparison to stuff released by the likes of Allo Darlin' or Camera Obscura. Both Allo Darlin' albums are awesome though.

Also if you're looking for more stuff along similar lines check out the new album by Welsh band The School called Reading Too Much Into Things Like Everything. It's very 60's pop-inspired and it's as addictive as fuck.

Advertisement