Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revit

• 16-05-2012 8:50pm
    Subscribers Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone suggest a good begineers guide to revit??

a lot of the youtube vids go from revit 2011 and jump straight in without the very basics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ftlnn

I have just started to learn revit 2009. I know it's not the current version but I just need to adapt from using autocads drawing methods. When I installed the programm I noticed under the help it had a basic but decent self tutorial. Maybe 2011 has the same. If your willing to shell out 25 dollars, a site called cadline (I think) will give you 30 days access to 100's of video tutorials on various versions of revit.

You basically need to dig in yourself but I'm sure these tutorials will be a great starter.

Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Defor_Dog

I am doing the same thing at the moment, i find the video tutorials to be slightly too advanced (for the stage i am at anyway:D)
    if you google "getting started with revit architecture" its a tutorial for a house from start to finish, not very detailed i might add but its a start anyway. I drew it up without any problems.....

Drawing up my own house at the moment.... damn storey and a half dormers!!:mad:

If you find any good material on your travels you might post it here perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

You should take a look at linda.com, you have to pay a few bob but its well worth it. Covers Revit from the ground up:

http://www.lynda.com/Revit-Architecture-2011-tutorials/essential-training/62086-2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Defor_Dog

I looked at that before.... as far as payment goes, do you just subscribe to the site and all videos on all topics can be viewed or are you restricted??
    In other words it says you could subscribe for 25 bucks for a months subscription... so in that month can i do a huge cramming session and watch all the revit tutorial videos?
    Have you ever subscribed?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Some videos on youtube are not great and go off topic a lot
    The best thing for learning revit is to start off with your own house or a simple house. When you get stuck on a certain part you should use revit fourms like http://www.revitcity.com/index.php revit city is also a great site for downloading familes aswell.
    Also use this if you have any questions http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

Would recommend buying a copy of Revit Architecture Essentials (approx €45-50). Good tutorials from beginner level and you can download the tutorial files from the publishers website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

I came to that book also, got it for around e30. Good, easy to follow even for a an 'auld fella'. Im having trouble downloading and opening the files but then I know little or nothing of computers.
    The advantage, for me, of using a textbook for learning versus online stuff, is that I dont need to have separate source for the material and can practice on my student Revit as I read; whereas for Revit on lynda.com I view on tablet at the same time as I practice on laptop.
    Do people find Revit easy? I find it much easier than Autocad2D which I 'did' a few months ago. I've no practical experience of either and this is kinda a past time for me as Im retired from the business after forty odd years!
    Weird, what!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 stevie_d

Hi PBMC,

Drawing in Revit can be easier than 2d CAD for 2d type drawings but it gets complex when you go beyond into 3d with different levels etc, making the 2d equivalent of blocks in revit (families)is more powerful but can be very complex, then there is the BIM element, and the analysis end of things,so is a mighty beast of a piece of software,but a great hobby and will be very rewarding, so dive in, don't hesitate to ask questions with any difficulties you might have

Advertisement