Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stargate revival by MGM

• 29-04-2012 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

The Stargate convention in Vancouver had a bit of good news.

Independent Producer Darren Thomas said MGM are releasing a Stargate App for phones and tablets preceding a revival. Although he said the revival is in a different format.

Thomas didn't want to reveal more but said "Plans are underway, I wish I could tell you more. The good news is we will Reveal something big at the Comic-Con in San Diego."

What you guys think? The different format but scares me a little? Putting two and two together at a comic convention this might mean a comic?

An other theories?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Would say a cartoon series

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Tefral

Would say a cartoon series

I suppose I could live with that. I still watch the xmen cartoons ha ha.

The last one wasnt great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

One faint hope is that comic-con isn't just about comics anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

There already was a Stargate cartoon so my guess is it will be something else, wouldn't rule out an episodic game or comic series.

Sorry for the double post but here:
    http://www.ordinostudios.com/blog-andorra/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,513 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

pegasus1 wrote: »
    One faint hope is that comic-con isn't just about comics anymore
    comics are cool anyway. lots of ways to get them on droid or iOS now too. Comixology app being my favorite

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Maybe they'll reboot the series or the movies, everyone loves a good reboot, and if they don't they can just wait for the next reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

What sorta revival would people most like to see?

Continue on of Universe or......?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd like them to continue on with Universe tbh

More story needs to be told, has Universe...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A predominantly Universe continuation, that eventually unites all three of the franchises...as was originally envisaged. Would have been epic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Universe was just getting into it's pace and getting very steampunky. I liked where it was going. I never fail to think if they'd concentrated more on the ship than the character development that it'd still be on air today. Even a Universe movie to wrap things up'd be nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

or if the character development had been any good (outside of a few choice episodes.. mainly the ones dealing with rush)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What Stargate used to be great at was telling a good story, and then having the characters develop naturally around that. With Universe, it felt very much like they planned out the character development first, and then tried to fit in some type of story to fill up time.

Universe was badly done from day one and it could never compensate for all the time lost on characters, it was almost over before the story began to fall together. I rather they didn't revive the series, maybe finish with a movie but in some way no one would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,513 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats annoying is, now that I've watched the last half of Season 2, they actually seemed to put some amount of effort into the story. Shouldve done that from the start mind you. Definitely feel if the execs gave Universe one last hail mary at a third season, it would have picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

Overheal wrote: »
    Whats annoying is, now that I've watched the last half of Season 2, they actually seemed to put some amount of effort into the story. Shouldve done that from the start mind you. Definitely feel if the execs gave Universe one last hail mary at a third season, it would have picked up.

they tried to build on battlestar galactica's success which the slow character development, and slow plot,
    but they just couldnt do it, simply because its not the type that can be done multiple times,
    same with terra nova.

i think they should have done the character development, but faster... some of those episodes should have been done together, iinstead of individually.

second season was brilliant, i would love to find out more about the alternate timeline. i really liked that part of it. especially the way they used the experiences from it for themselves, with the illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

There is two words when put together could have saved SGU, Chloe and Airlock. By all means get some character development going but there was so much puke inducing, slow, boring scenes involving her, if they had of just cut her out at the end of the first series the show would have been better for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I haven't seen any developments on this, anyone got an news?

One has to wait till comic-con in San Diego for further news...I would say..;)

• Advertisement

I haven't seen any developments on this, anyone got an news?

Just the mobile 3D Adventure game makers teaser and the Stargate Worlds lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Heya folks..

Heres my twopence worth.... just my opinion!

Stargate was perhaps one of my favorite Sci-Fi Franchise's along several others including Star trek and EFC

I would honestly say i would love to see it return, but i would have serious issue if they returned to Universe... I know SGU has its supporters... heck i bough both Box Sets as i am that kind of fan who has to have them all! But in all honesty it was not a great series... the stories were incredibly long and drawn out... i for one did not like the character centric storylines...

To be honest the whole show felt like a badly warped "Stargate Meets Battlestar Galactica" (god at the end of the universe and all that angles stuff+ oh my god how will we survive - MUTINY!)... SG1 and Atlantis were brilliant... loads of action... enough Sci-Fi and decent character development... If they want to reboot stargate? Well i dont like reboots in general as i consider them to be a lazy way of continuing a well built franchise... but i would PREFER a reboot to more Universe... im sorry but in my humble opinion Universe effectively Killed Stargate... so lets leave it and move on!

OK my opnion is given so please feel free to attack it!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

liamtech wrote: »
    Heya folks..

Heres my twopence worth.... just my opinion!

Stargate was perhaps one of my favorite Sci-Fi Franchise's along several others including Star trek and EFC

I would honestly say i would love to see it return, but i would have serious issue if they returned to Universe... I know SGU has its supporters... heck i bough both Box Sets as i am that kind of fan who has to have them all! But in all honesty it was not a great series... the stories were incredibly long and drawn out... i for one did not like the character centric storylines...

To be honest the whole show felt like a badly warped "Stargate Meets Battlestar Galactica" (god at the end of the universe and all that angles stuff+ oh my god how will we survive - MUTINY!)... SG1 and Atlantis were brilliant... loads of action... enough Sci-Fi and decent character development... If they want to reboot stargate? Well i dont like reboots in general as i consider them to be a lazy way of continuing a well built franchise... but i would PREFER a reboot to more Universe... im sorry but in my humble opinion Universe effectively Killed Stargate... so lets leave it and move on!

OK my opnion is given so please feel free to attack it!
    while universe took far to long to get any traction, the storyline they were heading down was unbelievable and has never been done on that scale before, actually interacting with your own descendants, and that automated alien tech could have opened endless possibilities,

universes biggest problem was trying to be to much like BSG and not enough like Stargate, Ive no problem building up characters, but just do a little bit here and a little but there, no need to have 20-30 mins of 12 or 13 episodes trying to build one character,

they should have come across that alien tech that attacked them midway through season 1 (maybe even 4 or 5 eps in), and then maybe come across some aliens near the end of season 1, also it took way to long for them to find the bridge,

we know they wont head back to universe and were more than likely never gonna get another series film, the only way forward id say it that theyll actually do a start trek on it and just reboot the whole thing in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

liamtech wrote: »
    If they want to reboot stargate? Well i dont like reboots in general as i consider them to be a lazy way of continuing a well built franchise... but i would PREFER a reboot to more Universe... im sorry but in my humble opinion Universe effectively Killed Stargate... so lets leave it and move on!
    I don't think the franchise really needed a reboot. Both SGA and the original SG series were doing fine, in fact the last two seasons of SG really brought life and vitality to the show. Having recently watched the lot, much of it for the first time, the first two seasons were tough going, definetely showing their age, then it got very engaging right up to season eight, then wow, the Farscape crew made it sing, and I wouldn't be the biggest Farscape fan. In the last two episodes the humour and charisma were just awesome.

The possible themes of the show were just starting to be explored really, and there's a lot of good sci-fi they could have drawn upon for inspiration. I could write up a half dozen episodes immediately just based on my recent reading. Its two fisted pulp with a bad case of the mighty whiteys, and I love it.

I've deliberately avoided watching SGU since I fear it would spoil the experience for me. BSG was not what I would call good.

Anyway yeah I would say there's an appetite for more, its just a pity the money men don't agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I've deliberately avoided watching SGU since I fear it would spoil the experience for me. BSG was not what I would call good.

Don't avoid it, avoid all the negativity - fact is, SGU got two measly seasons to establish itself, a task that no tv show can be asked to fulfill. By your own admission, SG-1 took two full seasons to find its feet, Atlantis not so much as it ran with a lot of stuff already established by SG-1. SG-U was starting from almost the ground up.

SG-U was really starting to get good, very good towards the end. All the great shows have weak openings, SG-1, all the Star Trek forms, the list is endless. Give SG-U a chance, we'll never know now how good it would have been...& something tells me we've all missed out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Am I the only one who didn't like season 9 and 10 of SG1? Everyone here seems to love it. I thought it was pretty piss poor.

Am I the only one who didn't like season 9 and 10 of SG1? Everyone here seems to love it. I thought it was pretty piss poor.

I didn't like them the first time, second time around I really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

EnterNow wrote: »
    Give SG-U a chance, we'll never know now how good it would have been...& something tells me we've all missed out.
    This is the problem though, it seems like all of the work and none of the payoff.
    I dunno, I ran through them start to finish and it was palpable where the original guys were starting to run out of steam, but I didn't have time to build up years of allegiance to the first SG-1 team. I wouldn't say that the change was unwelcome. What didn't you like about the last two seasons?

May as well watch it, season 1 bar a few episodes is a complete bust and the first half of season 2 is almost a write off, second half of season 2 was used in a last ditch attempt to save the series which sadly worked but not enough for SyFy to renew, a decision I would agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I dunno, I ran through them start to finish and it was palpable where the original guys were starting to run out of steam, but I didn't have time to build up years of allegiance to the first SG-1 team. I wouldn't say that the change was unwelcome. What didn't you like about the last two seasons?

It's been a while since I watched it (definitely due a rewatch) but there were a few things that stuck out for me. That Vala one always annoyed me so I wasn't happy to see her made a regular character let alone a part of SG1. I was always a huge fan of Daniel but I hated his scenes with her and there were plenty. I wasn't a fan of Cameron at first, he eventually grew on me but I still think he was a poor replacement for Jack. Sheppard was a much better character.

The Ori suffered the same problem the Goa'uld and the Wraith suffered in the early seasons of SG1 and SGA. They were way too over-powered to make it believable that SG1 could go up against them every week and not get their ass kicked. The Goa'uld and Wraith eventually weakened over time (they used better weapons against the jaffa and the Wraith's healing abilities weren't as good when they hadn't fed in some time). That never happened with the Ori. The Ori were ancients they should have been able to wipe earth out with ease. Plus, they were just a re-hash of the Goa'uld. The link between the amount of people worshipping them and how powerful they were seemed a bit contrived and a plot device.

I wasn't a fan of how they killed off the Asgard either. I was happy to see a resolution to that story arc but it was rushed. They should have went down fighting too instead of just blowing up their planet.

Advertisement