Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South County GC Closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

chuckieamc wrote: »
    I'm in. I gather from comments on here that there is a committee meeting tomorrow night?
    In some potentially heartening news, I heard that concra wood in Monaghan closed last week for a similar issue and was open a few days later under new management.
    Though the moving out of equipment is worrying....
    Well i think ALL MEMBERS should turn up for the committee meeting so.

Has it been confirmed equipment is being moved? I suppose you would have to given you don't know who will be snooping around the club at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TanD

thegen wrote: »
    Hi Tan,

I'm with you. I texted Raymie to pass on my best wishes to him and the rest of the staff. Americano & Purple Snack😉

Hiya Mr Americano and Purple Snack :) (how could I ever forget!!). Hope you well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Looks like great news for the moment, anyone have info on how this is gonna work ?

Seems we are all getting this mail. Great move by the Kavanagh's. Lets hope we can get new management.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyka

just got an email from the landlords to say they have taken possesion of the premises and are going to run the club as normal for the present...no bar facilities but raymie's shop will be open...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 chuckieamc

This is some hopeful news!
    Maybe all is not lost folks :) am betting will be busy up there tomorrow so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

Sad to see the workers there losing their jobs and also to the members who have supported the operation thru thick and thin. Hopefully they can get the course machinery back on site asap.
    On a side note, I wonder if the new N81 route through part of the course has any bearing on recent events. Seen some new road works at Hazel Grove today.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭scubapro

Rumers smumers, new roads, pay and play, what next- drilling for oil, the rumers and inuendo does no one any good, Im just pleased that the course is open for the moment, I am sure over the next few days all will become clear and fingers crossed the great track that we all love will stay open

scubapro wrote: »
    Rumers smumers, new roads, pay and play, what next- drilling for oil, the rumers and inuendo does no one any good, Im just pleased that the course is open for the moment, I am sure over the next few days all will become clear and fingers crossed the great track that we all love will stay open
    HERE HERE!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Troyad21

What in the name of jaysus is going on up there?!
    I don't know what to be doing after that last email!!
    The fact that we're finding out more on Boards than from the board :rolleyes: is ridiculous.
    If new management does come in a lot of questions will need to be answered first. I know I won't be paying anymore money until things are 100% transparent.
    It would be a shame to see such a well kept course go to waste/ruin, not to mention the great staff losing their jobs.

• Advertisement

Discussing this with a fellow member. The only way for the club to recover from this will be affiliation membership. How could you trust them with your subs again. If the new management came from another club and offered 5 day membership at another club then you have that to fall back on.

Im probably thinking a bit to far ahead as we need to get the doors securely open again but i really want SCGC to recover from this big time. In the short time since the news 'you miss it once its gone' has never been so apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Although I welcome this news this evening I can't see the club recovering from the events of today. The actions and behaviour of these amateur board members have destroyed a fantastic club and golfing facility for good IMO.

I for one will not be renewing my membership next year. I dont care if tiger woods is the club pro next year as the whole affair has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Anyone who is currently paying their subscription through direct debit monthly will no doubt today have cancelled any future payments to the club. No way will they pay a penny again after this.
    Not sure how many members that is but I'd say it's a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dangerous golfer

I have a DD set up with SCGC and I will be cancelling it first thing in the morning.

Who would I be paying at this stage?

Pay the same price for half the facilities?

Not to mention the good atmosphere in the club is bound to be affected.

Lets face it. Tiger Woods is no Raymond Burns!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

scubapro wrote: »

I personally hate the rumour mill talk, but the road issue is not a rumour ..

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/NationalRoadsDesignOffice/N81RIS/Phase2-RouteSelectionStage2010-2011/Stage2RouteCorridorOptionsJuly2011/Stage2RouteCorridorOptionsDrawings110000A1/

Also checked ( on the sdcc site ) the N81 works at Hazel Grove are a water improvement scheme.
    Although the situation at South Cty is not good, there is too much invested in it to let the fairways grow over.

Lets face it. Tiger Woods is no Raymond Burns!

Yeah the lady members are safe with raymie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

chuckieamc wrote: »
    I'm in. I gather from comments on here that there is a committee meeting tomorrow night?
    In some potentially heartening news, I heard that concra wood in Monaghan closed last week for a similar issue and was open a few days later under new management.
    Though the moving out of equipment is worrying....

Concra Wood closed? Are you sure? What happened to original members shares? I know a few people up there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

ForeRight wrote: »
    Although I welcome this news this evening I can't see the club recovering from the events of today. The actions and behaviour of these amateur board members have destroyed a fantastic club and golfing facility for good IMO.

Jesus .. That's a bit premature, the people who have as the landlords said abandoned the place are gone ... Obviously it was bad form but whoever you will be dealing with at SC in the future one things for sure it won't be them .. You should not judge the golf course/club in future by what these cowboys have done.

Actually if you read into the correspondence scubapro got, it looks like the landlords are intent on keeping the place going. With a bit of luck the landlords will manage the place themselves. This would be a far better scenario and with the numbers reported to be there looks like the club under new ownership could be relatively healthy pretty fast.

If anything the landowners and membership should be sticking together and weathering the storm and departure of these clowns, looks like the makings of a great club if everyone gets involved.

Will be interesting to see what the bank funding was secured on. Might be difficult to use the course if its owned by the bank. Either way the course may be pay as you play rather than a club. As a landlord why bother with the hassle of setting up a club when you can just run it on a day to day basis

ankles wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what the bank funding was secured on. Might be difficult to use the course if its owned by the bank. Either way the course may be pay as you play rather than a club. As a landlord why bother with the hassle of setting up a club when you can just run it on a day to day basis
    Exactly what i was thinking however its impossible to predict. Im looking forward to going up in the morning and getting filled in on what exactly is happening.

I was going to play an open tomorrow but from what i have been told tonight my GUI is no longer valid and SCGC is no longer in the union.

• Advertisement

k.p.h wrote: »
    ForeRight wrote: »

Jesus .. That's a bit premature, the people who have as the landlords said abandoned the place are gone ... Obviously it was bad form but whoever you will be dealing with at SC in the future one things for sure it won't be them .. You should not judge the golf course/club in future by what these cowboys have done.

Actually if you read into the correspondence scubapro got, it looks like the landlords are intent on keeping the place going. With a bit of luck the landlords will manage the place themselves. This would be a far better scenario and with the numbers reported to be there looks like the club under new ownership could be relatively healthy pretty fast.

If anything the landowners and membership should be sticking together and weathering the storm and departure of these clowns, looks like the makings of a great club if everyone gets involved.

It is a great club and I love the course but the whole thing is a complete mess now and will be fir a long while.

The land owners are now looking after the club which is open for play. Does that mean it's just a field with holes in it that we can play on or is it still a golf "club" affiliated with the GUI? I don't know the answers.
    Will we have official comps, opens, GUI membership?

I know the board members have made a complete mess of this but realistically behind the scenes the club just must not be sustaining itself or coming even close to.

I was told the accounts make pretty poor reading from last few months but the medium term "projections" were good so they kept going until today they pulled the plug. We all know projections are not worth the paper they are printed on.

With lads now cancelling debits for their subs how can the club operate at the same level as before?

What other club or company would take on such a dangerous business?

Rangers FC of the golf world :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chuckieamc

ankles wrote: »
    Concra Wood closed? Are you sure? What happened to original members shares? I know a few people up there

Heard that it closed very briefly but opened up within a couple days - money troubles also I believe

I see it got a chunk of cash from Kingspan to sponsor the Eurpro tournament later this year. No guesses where that money has gone;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyka

it looks to me like the shareholder members have been shafted to the benefit of the landlords.. who seem to believe they have a clause in the lease agreement which gives them total control of a very valueable and commercially viable asset with almost full membership and a fully developed course {built with share/members money and loans}
    a perfect coup de tat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Just took a spin up. Michael's jeep was up there with a couple of cars - had a quick nose around but didn't stay long because of the rain. Whatever was going on was behind locked doors.

Couple of questions lads, like some other members posting I am paying by DD. I assume I should still cancel this immediately as the bank account it was being paid into in nothing to do with the landlords who we received the email from?

Also, if the landlords are intending to keep the course open, how will they fund this? Will they use the lease payments that (I assume) the company will still have to pay them or will they be asking for further membership fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

tonyka wrote: »
    it looks to me like the shareholder members have been shafted to the benefit of the landlords.. who seem to believe they have a clause in the lease agreement which gives them total control of a very valueable and commercially viable asset with almost full membership and a fully developed course {built with share/members money and loans}
    a perfect coup de tat

This seems to me a more likely scenario than the idea that the landlords are knights in shining armour. I don't know the ins and outs of the current board structure but legally the likelihood is that when they knew they couldn't trade and pay their debts they had no choice but to close immediately otherwise they would have been personally liable.

tonyka wrote: »
    a perfect coup de tat
    Well there is a new and interesting spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dangerous golfer

link_2007 wrote: »
    Just took a spin up. Michael's jeep was up there with a couple of cars - had a quick nose around but didn't stay long because of the rain. Whatever was going on was behind locked doors.

Couple of questions lads, like some other members posting I am paying by DD. I assume I should still cancel this immediately as the bank account it was being paid into in nothing to do with the landlords who we received the email from?

Also, if the landlords are intending to keep the course open, how will they fund this? Will they use the lease payments that (I assume) the company will still have to pay them or will they be asking for further membership fees?

I will 100% be cancelling my DD, as you said, where will our money be going? What will it be funding?

There is too much uncertainty surrounding the whole thing at present for us to continue to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Well there is a new and interesting spin.

It is interesting but it seems unusual that the original text said they would be issuing a statement to the creditors if it was for this reason, no?

• Advertisement

link_2007 wrote: »
    The email sent out to all members was from Michael's account. I was tempted to spin up myself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement