Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I reckon I am a gifted songwriter, Im also my best critic.

Options
  • 13-11-2011 4:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

All I really need is to hear a guitar strum two or tree chords and its off.
    My creativity goes out of control. Off the chain, out the window and down the roads. It drives me nut's around the twist. I have melody's coming out of me all the time. Words and lines running trough my mind with no end. When I actually sit down with myself and try writing heavy tunes I wind up coming out with stuff that sounds like the Beatles, Johnny Cash, all that kind of stuff that I do not want to sound like.

This ain't normal is it, can it be helped ??

I reckon its something to do with my guitar playing, its very basic and so my melody's and rhymes are basic sounding too. Basic sounding like the Beatles.

(If I find the right guitarist) I believe that could direct my flow to where I want it to go. Hard rock, heavy rock etc etc !!

Writers block is for people who can't flow. There are any amount of words to choose from and notes too. Infinity would be close. Even eminem is creating new words. Note how I did not use a cap E for his name.

..............Thanx, but still and please help me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Looks like your destined to a famous pop writer, poor you:'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Well you certainly have self belief , which is great !! Never lose that :). Do you have a YouTube channel, maybe somebody it Ireland might see it and like your style and collaborate with you??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CrimsonSounds

Hey There !

Passion and Entheusiasm - You seem to have no probs there

Writing Simple Songs : Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Don't be fooled - many of the best songs are simple ones.

Seems like you need a sound to throw your lyrics onto that will leave you feeling proud - and clearly you are into some heavy rock directions on that too.

Half way there - you seem to have some idea what you want ! ;-)

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭JaneWillow

When I myself have to much creativity coming out of me I do one simple thing: I make a simple recording with my phone and listen back to it the next day.

The parts I like most I use towards writing a song with more structure and sense.

I don't believe it to be that you'd be blessed with great melodies and lyrics most of the times, but when you are, than make sure you capture it on recording. Great songs get lost if you don't record them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Iconwine

Many of the best songs in the world were written with basic chord structures- so you have to try and broaden your melody writing skills. I would suggest listening to as many varied influences as you can and also when your writing think about every single line carefully and try not to take it to the "obvious". Learn some maj7 chords and some minor progressions to try and jazz things up a bit. You would be amazed what you could come up with after learning only one extra chord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Cullen26

are u god ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

....There are any amount of words to choose from.....

I'll give you two words with which to start, no, not those two.
    The first is one with which you are only too familiar and probably own.
    The second is one with which you are totally unfamiliar, but given time I feel you will get to know the meaning of this word only too well.

Hubris and Humility...... there's your debut album title!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

I reckon its something to do with my guitar playing, its very basic and so my melody's and rhymes are basic sounding too. Basic sounding like the Beatles.

WOWSERS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamahole

I am the complete opposite. I can create endless amounts of melodies using endless amounts of chords but I struggle with lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

jamahole wrote: »
    I am the complete opposite. I can create endless amounts of melodies using endless amounts of chords but I struggle with lyrics.

I believe that a young Elton John had a similar problem, then he hooked up with Bernie Taupin.
    Good luck to you, and careful how you spend your millions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jamahole

Ill have to give this Bernie one a call.... ��

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

jamahole wrote: »
    Ill have to give this Bernie one a call.... ��

Here's a list of songs Bernie Taupin has written or co-written link

• Registered Users Posts: 20 freakingidol

Take any Chuck Norris fact and replace him by Morbid Reflection.

Advertisement