Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South County GC Closed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Give it a rest ^^^ we get your point :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

thegen wrote: »
    ForeRight wrote: »
    According to the GUI who I just spoke to on the phone nothing is guaranteed regarding official GUI handicap for 6 months.

I was told there was another committee meeting tomorrow night in s county by the girl in the Leinster branch.

I got the same answer from the girl in the GUI. I was told by a men's club committee member that our affiliation was still in tact!!!!

Same for me mate. Club handicap sec told me 6 months guaranteed. GUI say that's not the case. Either way I can't help but feel extremely angry at the whole thing.

I played there yesterday and all was normal. Work being done all over the course, everything in great nick, people up in the bar, pro shop running away normally, ladies comp was on and then wake up to a text message today saying thanks for your money all the best!!!

Someone knew this was coming so this is disgraceful behaviour or Managment from somebody or a number of people IMO.

What was all that nonsense on the website only a few weeks back telling everyone that the clubs future was secure etc etc.

Either way even if the club opens back up tomorrow it will be the last sub I ever pay to s county. I completely understand that these things happen unfortunately and I feel for the staff but somebody up there knew all along that this was coming but anyone I have spoke to was oblivious and shocked this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ipitydafool

The golf club although struggling due to financial climate in Ireland at the moment, had a good and loyal members base. Membership fees had been reduced to attract new members in and had been sucessful but unfortunately they had lost present members who could no longer afford the fees due to current financial climate, which lets face it has affected us all in one way or another. So a club run - members owned golf club is forced to close while NAMA RUN GOLF CLUBS are being run at a loss to the expense of the taxpayer. Unfortunately the board of management where left with no option but to close the gates. Hopefully the GUI will take note of this!!!

Of course they had other options like MAYBE disclose to members what the true financials were, have an EGM and try and come up with a plan to save place. Sounds like the buried there in the sand and said everything was fine, accepted membership payments in bad faith and now all of sudden say the company insolvent. by sounds of it the company could be insolvent for a while. As schemingbohemia has noted there could be case for 'reckless trading'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Anyone been up there today?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭one ill cat

Same for me mate. Club handicap sec told me 6 months guaranteed. GUI say that's not the case. Either way I can't help but feel extremely angry at the whole thing.

I played there yesterday and all was normal. Work being done all over the course, everything in great nick, people up in the bar, pro shop running away normally, ladies comp was on and then wake up to a text message today saying thanks for your money all the best!!!

Someone knew this was coming so this is disgraceful behaviour or Managment from somebody or a number of people IMO.

What was all that nonsense on the website only a few weeks back telling everyone that the clubs future was secure etc etc.

Either way even if the club opens back up tomorrow it will be the last sub I ever pay to s county. I completely understand that these things happen unfortunately and I feel for the staff but somebody up there knew all along that this was coming but anyone I have spoke to was oblivious and shocked this morning!

Exactly! Why keep sending emails to say how financially secure the place is when that clearly isn't the case!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Birdie Machine

remy was sent same tex as members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Completely agree. They were taking subs up to last week. Lovely way for them to treat their fellow members. Why was there no transparency as to the scale of the problem, why was there no EGM called to let members know what was happening.

But is suppose "The Fuhrer" or "Puppeteer" liked to keep control of his dictatorship.

Rumors flying around of it reopening as a pay as you play course by Sat. Landlord will have control of the course by then. Don't know whether to believe this or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tom F

Bad news all round, played last week and would be an awful shame if it is gone for good. Hopefully some sort of result comes out of it for life long members. Not nice for all those who lost there jobs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

That's some rumour, wouldn't go near the place

Looks like our worst nightmare has come true

I had the enviable pleasure of concluding my SC career by rattling off 6 consecutive .1s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Tom F wrote: »
    Bad news all round, played last week and would be an awful shame if it is gone for good. Hopefully some sort of result comes out of it for life long members. Not nice for all those who lost there jobs also.

Is this the President???????

• Advertisement

Completely agree. They were taking subs up to last week. Lovely way for them to treat their fellow members. Why was there no transparency as to the scale of the problem, why was there no EGM called to let members know what was happening.

But is suppose "The Fuhrer" or "Puppeteer" liked to keep control of his dictatorship.

Rumors flying around of it reopening as a pay as you play course by Sat. Landlord will have control of the course by then. Don't know whether to believe this or not.

If that is the case then I will never go near the place again that's for sure. If some of the rumours I have heard today are true ,sounds like they are trying to pull off a stunt some of those dodgy car dealerships do, close the place and re-open next day under a different name but have shafted all the old customers( in this case members).

I have just driven past it on my way home. The gate is locked with a course closed sign up. It is very sad to see. I can only imagine how the members feel.
    With regard to affiliation unfortunately for South County members to be affiliated to the GUI you must have a course to play on. With the course closed the club will lose affiliation and handicaps will lapse immediately.
    The GUI are based in Carton which is in NAMA. They are not likely to deal with NAMA situation as they have invested too much in Carton.

The GUI have assured the Men's Club Committee that affiliation has not lapsed and members h/c will be safe for a 6 month period. Why keep posting that this is not true. I can only go on what a committee member has told me re their conversations with the GUI.

Is this one if the same committee members who said a few weeks ago that the clubs future was secure and finances were good????

Excuse me if I dismiss your information from s county committee members today after the absolutely disgraceful behaviour in not letting people know the extent of these troubles.

I'll go by what I was told personally on the phone 20 minutes ago from the Leinster GUI branch thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

If NAMA RUN GOLF ClUBS were all closed. We wouldn't have this situation with SC today. This is a big problem for Member Run Golf Clubs at the moment and SC will only be the start if nothing is done about it.!!!

Why should Nama close golf clubs... ridiculous comment.......

Nama has every right to manage and operate all golf courses, hotels, pubs etc in the manner that they view as the most commercially viable to maximise the return on their trasnfered debt levels/assets......

The problem is we as a country simply have too many poor golf clubs in strange locations..... if they are Nama owned or not is irrelevant...

Obviously massive sympathy to all the guys who have lost this years subs..mare.....

The board are the ones keeping people in the dark here afaik. I'm on the ladies committee and only found out at 6.21am this morning when I got the same text message!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

People are great at telling you they knew about this after the event. So far iv been told today that lads were tipped off last year it wouldn't last another 12 months. Contrary to that a friend of mine who is privileged to their account information informed me that everything was completely fine last month. Everyone was paid, accounts were in order and this is completely out of the blue. I was also told that owners of Castleknock were up meeting last week about a possible merger (rumour).

So far today i have contacted the Nation Consumer Agency, Company registrations office and the Insolvency journal. The NCA advised me to lodge a disputed claim with my VISA card company. Essentially i was mis sold and was worth my while. No doubt i signed something in the small print to say if the company goes bang yadayayaya... Anyway as of this point no liquidator has been appointed according to the CRO and Insolvency. The girl checked the company reg '380194' and all is still live. Im sure we will know more soon in that aspect.

Id be confident we will be back up playing there again under the examiners its just how long will it be and how poor the conditions are going to get. Worst part of all is best of luck them convincing members to commit to next years subs. I know i won't.

Is this one if the same committee members who said a few weeks ago that the clubs future was secure and finances were good????

Excuse me if I dismiss your information from s county committee members today after the absolutely disgraceful behaviour in not letting people know the extent of these troubles.

I'll go by what I was told personally on the phone 20 minutes ago from the Leinster GUI branch thanks!

You need to seperate the The Southcounty (2004) Company from the Mens Club. Two totally different entities. The men's club look after the running of the mens section and all dealings with the GUI. The person in question was not on the board and had no input into the financial running of the club. He was not responsible for any communication from the Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Tom F

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Is this the President???????

No, I only ever played there once. No ties at all, just think its a crap situation for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

The board are the ones keeping people in the dark here afaik. I'm on the ladies committee and only found out at 6.21am this morning when I got the same text message!
    Disgraceful behavior. I met a ladies committee member in the carpark yesterday morning and her biggest concern was Rayme paying out her 2's as she forgot to fill her handicap in on the card. Its shocking that members were not given the chance to help the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Actually that was cheeky as fcuk doing it at that time, I was having a good old snooze before that came in.

You need to seperate the The Southcounty (2004) Company from the Mens Club. Two totally different entities. The men's club look after the running of the mens section and all dealings with the GUI. The person in question was not on the board and had no input into the financial running of the club. He was not responsible for any communication from the Board.

My apologies Gen.
    I'm angry and venting today obviously but what the girl told me on the phone earlier is still the same.

I hope she is wrong as at least we could tip around playing opens fir the rest of the year if worst case scenario the club doesn't open back up.

• Advertisement

Actually that was cheeky as fcuk doing it at that time, I was having a good old snooze before that came in.

I was half awake as my alarm goes off at 6.15, certainly not the news I wanted particularly at that hour of the morning.

I knew something was up when both mine and the husband's phone went at exactly the same time!

I was half awake as my alarm goes off at 6.15, certainly not the news I wanted particularly at that hour of the morning.

I knew something was up when both mine and the husband's phone went at exactly the same time!

I thought someone had died when my phone was buzzing at 620am!!!!

Looking back now I wish that's what it was :)

Joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭dnjoyce

The GUI are based in Carton which is in NAMA. They are not likely to deal with NAMA situation as they have invested too much in Carton.

Not according to the list here, which appears to be recent
    http://www.nama.ie/about-our-work/properties-enforced/terms-of-use/

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭AldilaMan

All golf clubs outwardly portray themselves in good financial health. The minute they say otherwise, members run away in fear. My previous golf club have been spouting on about how well they are doing despite a €3 million plus debt for a new clubhouse. I don't believe it - but I genuinely hope I'm wrong. This is a critical counting time for clubs with the full membership losses for 2012 being realised. Good luck to all.

My apologies Gen.
    I'm angry and venting today obviously but what the girl told me on the phone earlier is still the same.

I hope she is wrong as at least we could tip around playing opens fir the rest of the year if worst case scenario the club doesn't open back up.

No probs, I'm with you, Its made page 2 in The Herald!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭bustercherry

I just rolled over and went back to sleep as I though it was a junk message. Only when I come on here, I realised it was true.

dnjoyce wrote: »

The hotel which was once partially owned by Paddy Kelly is now part owned by NAMA afaik. I dont think it relates to the golf course or the GUI headquarters. More info here- http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=36888

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

I just rolled over and went back to sleep as I though it was a junk message. Only when I come on here, I realised it was true.

I saw the number and assumed it was going to say the course was closed due to the weather. Opened the curtains to reveal a lovely clear morning and then went to check to see what the message was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

dnjoyce wrote: »

Carton House hotel's loans were taken over by Nama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 TanD

As an ex employee of Scgc this makes me very sad to hear. My friends and collegues have all lost their jobs today. No offense to any of you worrying about your handicaps but take a look at the bigger picture - this is a sad day for SCGC members and its employees!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement