Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

South County GC Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ipitydafool

TheGrump wrote: »
    If the land was leased by the club and the club has now gone bust, I'd wager it will open again very shortly. There's no way the landowner is going to let it's asset fade away. No consolotion for the members that forked out their subs though :(

I think this is where it gets all legal and Im not sure it will open that shortly. Technically whilst the landowner owns the land they dont own the property built on it and you can be sure if there is significant creditors of the company they will put a lien against the property. However maybe there was a clause in the agreement lease of whats rights landowner would have if a default occurs. You would have to see lease agreement to know for sure. Afaik the land cant be returned for use as agricultural land for a number of years due to the chemicals and pesticides used on the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

As suggested earlier, you guys should try and form a group and approach local clubs for a group deal on membership.

If its definitely closed for good, then thats the best thing to do alright. Most of the local clubs will let you have a free round anyway to see the course if you're interested in joining (I know Slade Valley do that, and I think Beech Park too). Plus it'd be far easier for a club to do a deal with a group of, say, 20, 50, 100 or whatever, rather than ones or twos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Russman wrote: »
    If its definitely closed for good, then thats the best thing to do alright. Most of the local clubs will let you have a free round anyway to see the course if you're interested in joining (I know Slade Valley do that, and I think Beech Park too). Plus it'd be far easier for a club to do a deal with a group of, say, 20, 50, 100 or whatever, rather than ones or twos.

While I am sure any club would be thrilled with the additional revenue would it not create a small amount of animosity with current members to see such a large number of new members arriving at the one time, filling the timesheet etc?

Possibly, but I think clubs have lost so many members in the last few years that existing members are realistic or pragmatic enough to know they need new members to survive.
    Depends on the club's circumstances I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Jesus Lads desperately sorry to hear the news, Had been hearing very good things about the course and members , just when you think things are starting to settle down a bit , I mean Im hearing more on the radio each day about new jobs coming to the country rather than people being let go, then something like this happens .

An awful shame .

Hopefully a couple of clubs jump in like what happened when Total fitness Closed down offering members really good deals to give them a new home but we will see if there is still some sort of humility out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

link_2007 wrote: »
    While I am sure any club would be thrilled with the additional revenue would it not create a small amount of animosity with current members to see such a large number of new members arriving at the one time, filling the timesheet etc?

If viewed in the corect way this could be a great opportunity for a local club. If they offered the SC members a really really cheap deal and mamaged to attract say 80 members then they could almost garauntee that they woud have 40-60 new members next year. That would be a big bonus to a club that needs to increase its numbers as many many clubs do at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You'd think that would be the preferred option going forward alright. Surely it would make sense to try & salvage something instead of writing the hole thing off, but it all seems so final so quickly.

Most likely the club could not afford to pay of the loans and leases it is required to pay for and is required to shut its doors.

Most clubs around are looking to seak adjustments to their bank loans or leases during the hard times, with most securing the option to pay the interest only for a while until things pick up.

But alot of banks and stakeholders arnt that interested.

While the country points its fingers at politicans and bankers, the landlords and rent holders are getting away scot free with their scandelous pricing and greedyness looking to INCREASE prices during a downturn.

Our company received notification from the landlord that our rent was to INCREASE?!?! So we told him to stuff it we were moving and he quickly changed his mind.

Biggest bunch of uneducated clueless people to be involved with so much money.

The reason so many shops and commercial properties are boarded up is not because the business isnt there, but because unyiedly landowners and landlords wont budge on price : /

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Whyner wrote: »
    What you thinking? Beech Park, Newlands?

Both would suit me fine but I don´t think you can just walk into Newlands and join. Beech Park is a course I like. Both are serious clubs when it comes to inter-club golf which will be one of the deciding factors for me. Carton House is another but the price is a little prohibitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

That's tough on all the members.
    The bit of transparency ye did get is saying a lot in comparison to a local Golf Pro-shop that closed down in Munster within the last few weeks. A lot of people caught with good amounts of credit only to be told through word of mouth the whole set-up was gone.
    Sign of the times and will probably feature for a good while yet unfortunately.Unless NAMA steps in.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ipitydafool

staker wrote: »
    That's tough on all the members.
    The bit of transparency ye did get is saying a lot in comparison to a local Golf Pro-shop that closed down in Munster within the last few weeks. A lot of people caught with good amounts of credit only to be told through word of mouth the whole set-up was gone.
    Sign of the times and will probably feature for a good while yet unfortunately.Unless NAMA steps in.

No offence and I feel sorry to anyone stung by the closure of that shop in Munster but from what I have heard South County golf members got absolutely no transparency whatsoever they have basically been told overnight, golf course closed good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 chuckieamc

No offence and I feel sorry to anyone stung by the closure of that shop in Munster but from what I have heard South County golf members got absolutely no transparency whatsoever they have basically been told overnight, golf course closed good luck.

Some of us didn't even get told ipitydafool, I found out by accident! Its pretty upsetting. I really liked it up there, was a great vibe about the place, super practice facilities, course in great nick, really friendly pro and staff.

am pretty gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Both would suit me fine but I don´t think you can just walk into Newlands and join. Beech Park is a course I like. Both are serious clubs when it comes to inter-club golf which will be one of the deciding factors for me. Carton House is another but the price is a little prohibitive.

Carton is 2300. Newlands is 1400 plus 5k joining over 5 years

I feel like a junkie not knowing where I'll score next.

Playing Dublin City with a mate this evening. Might even end back there for this year, how depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tincup69

This is horrible news i know i for one would be devasted if i turned up and my golf club was closed let alone the financial side of things. Hope evrything works out well for the members, played here a few times and would have nothing but good things to say. Is it totally out of the question that the bank or NAMA might step in and re open to try re coup some of the moneys owed? If this was the case and it was run better maybe this could be the best case scenario for current members. Best of luck to all hope yous get something sorted soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

if i just lost my years sub i'd be depressed too!!! Why don't you join distance somewhere for the rest of the year and play a few courses to help make up your mind?

Whyner wrote: »
    Carton is 2300. Newlands is 1400 plus 5k joining over 5 years

I feel like a junkie not knowing where I'll score next.

Playing Dublin City with a mate this evening. Might even end back there for this year, how depressing

Check out Golfwallah's thread on joining fees, lots of choice and information for Dublin and surrounding area.

The only fee I know for sure in that general area is Slade Valley at €1,000 (full) & €495 (5 day).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Russman wrote: »
    Check out Golfwallah's thread on joining fees, lots of choice and information for Dublin and surrounding area.

The only fee I know for sure in that general area is Slade Valley at €1,000 (full) & €495 (5 day).

Citywest wouldn't be far either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

This is a dreadful situation for all concerned. I know of people who joined in the last week. From what I'm hearing the debt is much too low to be considered by NAMA . Unfortunately for the members their GUI affiliation also goes as the club no longer exists.
    It is a very difficult situation for all concerned. I wish all the members well and hope they can find a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Unfortunately for the members their GUI affiliation also goes as the club no longer exists.

Are you 100% certain this is the case? i.e with immediate effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Maybe a warning to all here

Pay annual sub by Direct Debit/Standing Order or by Credit Card ( not laser )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

This is a dreadful situation for all concerned. I know of people who joined in the last week. From what I'm hearing the debt is much too low to be considered by NAMA . Unfortunately for the members their GUI affiliation also goes as the club no longer exists.
    It is a very difficult situation for all concerned. I wish all the members well and hope they can find a new home.

The club still exists, it is The Southcounty (2004) Company that has ceased trading. The Golf club has been onto the GUI and the affiliation remains. All members GUI subs have been paid and their h/c are OK for a 6 month period

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Birdie Machine

If viewed in the corect way this could be a great opportunity for a local club. If they offered the SC members a really really cheap deal and mamaged to attract say 80 members then they could almost garauntee that they woud have 40-60 new members next year. That would be a big bonus to a club that needs to increase its numbers as many many clubs do at the moment.
    the golf club was club owned and club run and its a shame it has closed due to finances while nama run golf clubs survive due to tax payers expense tulfarris to name 1 hope none of the sc members join anywere like that hopefully the gui will stop supporting nama run golf clubs while members run clubs struggle SAD DAY 2 see a club with a fine club base closed. Always made welcome by both members and staff alike anytime I played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Brian2850

TheDoc wrote: »
    Most likely the club could not afford to pay of the loans and leases it is required to pay for and is required to shut its doors.

Most clubs around are looking to seak adjustments to their bank loans or leases during the hard times, with most securing the option to pay the interest only for a while until things pick up.

But alot of banks and stakeholders arnt that interested.

While the country points its fingers at politicans and bankers, the landlords and rent holders are getting away scot free with their scandelous pricing and greedyness looking to INCREASE prices during a downturn.

Our company received notification from the landlord that our rent was to INCREASE?!?! So we told him to stuff it we were moving and he quickly changed his mind.

Biggest bunch of uneducated clueless people to be involved with so much money.

The reason so many shops and commercial properties are boarded up is not because the business isnt there, but because unyiedly landowners and landlords wont budge on price : /

What a sweeping generalisation!

Played it a couple of times and it really was a smashing course. I suspect we will see it back in some shape or form. Too much invested in this course to see it go into disrepair.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 chuckieamc

thegen wrote: »
    The club still exists, it is The Southcounty (2004) Company that has ceased trading. The Golf club has been onto the GUI and the affiliation remains. All members GUI subs have been paid and their h/c are OK for a 6 month period

Hadn't even thought of that side of things thegen! wonder if there are any enterprising groups out there interested in taking on the running of a popular golf club??

Thinking of all the course and bar staff as well today, I imagine it came as a bolt from the blue for them also.

chuckieamc wrote: »
    Hadn't even thought of that side of things thegen! wonder if there are any enterprising groups out there interested in taking on the running of a popular golf club??

Thinking of all the course and bar staff as well today, I imagine it came as a bolt from the blue for them also.

I'm with you there. The staff from the back office, bar, greenkeeping and pro shop have lost their jobs.

They are the real losers in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sad news for all the members and staff there. But, if they were still accepting new members/subs until very recently and closed the course without an EGM surely there has to be a case for "reckless trading" by the directors?

This can't have come out of the blue for the Directors so some people have not been doing right by their obligations.

The golf club although struggling due to financial climate in Ireland at the moment, had a good and loyal members base. Membership fees had been reduced to attract new members in and had been sucessful but unfortunately they had lost present members who could no longer afford the fees due to current financial climate, which lets face it has affected us all in one way or another. So a club run - members owned golf club is forced to close while NAMA RUN GOLF CLUBS are being run at a loss to the expense of the taxpayer. Unfortunately the board of management where left with no option but to close the gates. Hopefully the GUI will take note of this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

chuckieamc wrote: »
    thegen wrote: »

According to the GUI who I just spoke to on the phone nothing is guaranteed regarding official GUI handicap for 6 months.

I was told there was another committee meeting tomorrow night in s county by the girl in the Leinster branch.

ForeRight wrote: »
    According to the GUI who I just spoke to on the phone nothing is guaranteed regarding official GUI handicap for 6 months.

I was told there was another committee meeting tomorrow night in s county by the girl in the Leinster branch.

I got the same answer from the girl in the GUI. I was told by a men's club committee member that our affiliation was still in tact!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Feel really sorry for everyone involved in this. It's a sad day, especially for those who have lost their jobs.

It is something we will be seeing more and more, I think.

Any club with substantial debt or other obligations must be running the risk of the bank or other creditors pulling the plug on them. I get the sense in my own club - which is sailing very close to the wind - that it isn't been taken very seriously. You just can't go to the bank today and look for credit/loans. When you run out of cash, that's it. It is very unlikely that any club's top line is going to improve in the short run and if significant parts of the cost base are fixed then the short/medium term outlook for profitability & cash are bad.

NAMA run courses are a scourge and if their 'beggar thy neighbour' attitude with guaranteed mortgages are anything to go by, they won't give a stuff how many courses they put out of business.

• Advertisement

If NAMA RUN GOLF ClUBS were all closed. We wouldn't have this situation with SC today. This is a big problem for Member Run Golf Clubs at the moment and SC will only be the start if nothing is done about it.!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement