Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giving Up Smoking Forum...

• 05-05-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

I know this is a separate sub-forum, maybe due to it's more specific "cigarette replacement" stylings, or because it's a pleasurable habit with enough options to warrant it's own forum, but does anybody else here look at some of those "I'm quitting" thread-diaries with all the agitation and anger inherent and not feel like screaming

JUST

START

VAPING!!!

?

Just me?

Is vaping allowed to be broached on the main forum, or is that a no-go? Because it seems like a lot of people there go backwards and forwards needlessly, and they don't seem to take notice of the little blue notch (this place) above their threads that has the most likelihood of getting them "clean".

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah but a lot of people on that forum seem to see vaping as being almost as bad as smoking cigs, kinda like taking drugs to cure your alcoholism or something. you haven't actually kicked the addition, you've cheated where they had to do all the hard work from scratch

a few of us have popped into threads every now and again to suggest vaping to people who are having trouble quitting but in general I don't think we're exactly... welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As above we haven't really quit, we sort of replaced the habit. I've been of cigarettes for a few months now. Since start of Feb, tried a cigarette last sat and threw it away cause I thought it was disgusting, I'm off them for the weekend now and finding it extremely hard not vaping.

For now its a good healthy replacement. Nothing close to quitting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

There are a certain category of people like myself who would never have given up cigarettes no matter what I tried so its just a matter of discovering vaping after that. I discovered it by just trying a drag off a friends e-cig and I said to myself there may be something to this and started researching a kit etc and haven't looked back.

We all know if you cant give up cigarettes and have tried many times and failed that its better to replace nicotine than to be taking it with the 3000+ chemicals that come with cigarettes so we must keep preaching and spreading the word. It will take time but give it 5 years and my guess is a lot more people will be vaping and the more mainstream public will be more used to and knowledgeable about vaping.

Besides the other forums you mention I see smokers every day of the week battling to give up and some of them still don't want to listen to how easy it is to start vaping and quit cigarettes. So yes it is frustrating when you are gaining the benefits and see how easy it is this way and see other people who cant or don't seem to want understand it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I often hear that argument from the hard liner quitters, cold turkey or nothing, otherwise what's the point!?

I can certainly understand where they are coming from, personally though, I found quitting was far easier while I was vaping as opposed to smoking, so I feel there's a good case for moving to vaping and then quitting as it can potentially make the task considerably easier imo, I can't scientifically prove it, but that's my experience of quitting smoking and vaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

So Samba, have you stopped vaping as well? I am certainly enjoying my vaping, and it is so much better than smoking. Yet at the same time, I am now addicted to vaping, and a part of me doesn't like that aspect.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Yeah, I've no doubt that it's less harmful than smoking but I've do doubt that it's not benign either.

Inhaling flavourings and PG or VG can't be the best thing that you've ever done but it's a healthier option than smoking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i actually had one of these people giving out to me in the pub last night for vaping instead of quitting cold turkey like she did, I probably wasn't the best advertisement for vaping as I just acted the **** to her after that

in another pub though a lad i was playing pool with is going to buy a throathit vv mod after using mine while we were playing :) said he tried the other ecig tyupes before but they never did anything for him but he loved the 5 volts vape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

achieve wrote: »
    So Samba, have you stopped vaping as well? I am certainly enjoying my vaping, and it is so much better than smoking. Yet at the same time, I am now addicted to vaping, and a part of me doesn't like that aspect.........

I did for about 3 months, back vaping now, but I've plans to quit again, and the thought of quitting isn't half as scary as when I thought about quitting smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

I think maybe up until e-cigs became more freely available in chemists etc, vaping was probably the last straw, the last throw of the dice.
    Except for me, it was an admittance of defeat before I even tried, I took the easy way out doing a straight swap from cigarettes to an ego-t.

Either way I don't think it's our job to force vaping on anyone, or even recommend it, unless asked, some people do have will power :)

Everyone has to go through their own process.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

My problem was that I absolutely LOVED smoking...and now I absolutely love vaping. It's a choice I made, it wasn't forced on me, so I dont think I'd force it on anyone else. I am more than happy to help anyone out who asks me questions tho!

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    My problem was that I absolutely LOVED smoking...and now I absolutely love vaping. It's a choice I made, it wasn't forced on me, so I dont think I'd force it on anyone else. I am more than happy to help anyone out who asks me questions tho!

Same boat, but I wouldn't like if these started popping up in chemists, that means they would start being regulated, government would consider this as a smokig device. Ban this indoors or completely like some companies.

I'm happy with the way it is now. I don't really care if goes popular or not. It does the job for me, if some one would want to quit smokig im sure they would find stuff online.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Until I stumbled across the 'Going mad trying to pick an ecig' thread here I was under the impression that vaping was just those real cig lookalikes with the pre-filled cartridges.

They taste awful and can't imagine anyone using them for more than a couple of weeks.

Vaping is a completely different beast and it was only when the options were spelled out that I realised that this is something that really appealed to me and i could get rid of the analogues.

If I'd known about it before I def would have made the switch earlier

sept09baby wrote: »
    Until I stumbled across the 'Going mad trying to pick an ecig' thread here I was under the impression that vaping was just those real cig lookalikes with the pre-filled cartridges.

They taste awful and can't imagine anyone using them for more than a couple of weeks.

Vaping is a completely different beast and it was only when the options were spelled out that I realised that this is something that really appealed to me and i could get rid of the analogues.

Well the only annoying thing about vaping I find is that I have to replace the atomiser every month or so. Its a bit annoying. I never tried the cartridge thing. Just got ego t titan as my first kit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Well the only annoying thing about vaping I find is that I have to replace the atomiser every month or so. Its a bit annoying so I. Never tried the carriage thing. Just got ego t titan as my first kit

I don't really see replacing the atty/carto as a hindrance, they are a consumable item, designed to be replaced...and they are cheap, in the grand scheme of things, so it's not really an issue having to replace them, just build up a stock of them, and you'll be grand! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Vaping isn't quitting smoking, it's upgrading :)

I think vaping is great for some people. I didn't want to give up, I knew I should, but I still loved smoking, so vaping was perfect for me. In general I think if people are willing to just quit then they should try that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 annaboniface55

My brother and dad both quit smoking. My brother switched to vaping, while my dad went completely cold turkey but he did wear nicotine patches. At first he didn't feel the patch, so he stopped using it for two days. He started using it again and noticed a big difference. He doesn't smoke at all now. My brother still smokes socially, so I guess going completely cold turkey works if you want to stop but vaping is definitely an easier replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Vaping is absolutely quitting smoking, if you know the facts, that it is 97% [at least] afer, then it's not really like smoking at all, it's more like drinking a little too much coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Disagree. And I'm talking as someone who was off the smokes for two years and ended up back on them. Now I vape. It's not quitting - it's changing the delivery system.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Orion wrote: »
    Disagree. And I'm talking as someone who was off the smokes for two years and ended up back on them. Now I vape. It's not quitting - it's changing the delivery system.

Changing the delivery system of nicotine, yes, but not tobacco. You're tobacco free and alot healthier for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

XlLn5Ow.gif

If vaping isn't quitting smoking then neither are patches, lozenges, microtabs and sprays. Disagree if you want but it's based on spurious belief rather than fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

sept09baby wrote: »

I think the awful tasting flavours are kind of needed for first-time vapers as their taste buds are pretty screwed from smoking, so loud in your face flavours like menthol and vanilla are needed to help make the change.

Vaping is pretty complicated to get into due to the multitude of devices out there and you really do need to do some research to find out what works, what doesn't and what is a total waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I was buying 29 B&H a day & smoking most of them. I realised most of my cigarette smoking was habit..... Cup of tea? Have a fag. On the phone? Have a fag. I was crushing most of the cigarettes not even half-smoked. I bought an eleaf - iStick Trim for €50 2 weeks ago. Any previous attempts at quitting smoking left my dizzy & grumpy & hollow-feeling. None of that with the e-cig. I'm astounded at how easy it seems .... early days I know, but I am determined never to pay for cigarettes again!!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Nice one Foggy...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    I was buying 29 B&H a day & smoking most of them. I realised most of my cigarette smoking was habit..... Cup of tea? Have a fag. On the phone? Have a fag. I was crushing most of the cigarettes not even half-smoked. I bought an eleaf - iStick Trim for €50 2 weeks ago. Any previous attempts at quitting smoking left my dizzy & grumpy & hollow-feeling. None of that with the e-cig. I'm astounded at how easy it seems .... early days I know, but I am determined never to pay for cigarettes again!!

Thankfully I never got into swanky mods or fancy juices. I am a simple man with simple needs. As such, I haven't spent a fortune on vaping gear or juice. My 40 a day habit (smoked 25-30, let the rest burn out while working, on the internet etc like yourself) which cost me about €600 a month became a €40 a month vaping habit. I've been vaping over 6 years now and have saved €49,000-€3,000 (Cost of Vape gear and juice) = €46,000

Some saving,you were one of the lucky ones,shinyitis hit me for years but now I am on simple stuff,still using all my swanky set-ups:D:D but stopped buying,the only new thing I bought in the last 6 months was a €16 Breeze2.
    Old age must be creeping in,I draw my pension in 3 weeks time:D:D

Vaping got me to this age...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Phill_M

Some saving,you were one of the lucky ones,shinyitis hit me for years but now I am on simple stuff,still using all my swanky set-ups:D:D but stopped buying,the only new thing I bought in the last 6 months was a €16 Breeze2.
    Old age must be creeping in,I draw my pension in 3 weeks time:D:D

Vaping got me to this age...
    I try to avoid shinyitis, but have been thinking of getting an MTL setup for when I'm out and about - the breeze seems to be getting popular. Hmmm....

Phill_M wrote: »
    I try to avoid shinyitis, but have been thinking of getting an MTL setup for when I'm out and about - the breeze seems to be getting popular. Hmmm....

MTL or restricted DL with the breeze2,I got use to the drip tip on it,easy to fill & change coils with no leaks at all.

Going cheap at Vapewild https://vapewild.eu/aspire-breeze-2-ultra-portable-pod-system/

Advertisement