Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to Toronto.

• 26-04-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone,

I'm not usually a big-time forum-poster, but as the title states, I'm heading to Toronto soon. I'm going on the USIT IEC program, so it looks like I get about a year. I'm going in June, not long after I finish up my final exams.

It was honestly one of those 'spin the globe, and jam your finger down on somewhere in the world and go' things. It's coming up fast, and it's starting to hit me now.

For starters, I've read varying reports in other threads about rent, but I'm heading alone, not in a group. How much would I be looking at paying for just a room. Single, if possible.

What are some good areas? I'd very much like to not end up in a 'bad' area, if you know what I mean. Couple of street or area names ought to be enough to give me an idea of where to avoid :)

Where would be a good place to move? I'm getting a degree in design/media, and I'd like to focus on that.

I would also like to ask how good the public transport is. Being a student, I don't have the cash to fly over and drop the cash for a car, no matter how much I'd like to. I've been reading, and it looks good. Again, if there's anything to avoid, please let me know.

Other than that, if you guys have any experiences you'd like to share, I'd very much like to hear them.

Seriously, any info at all on the place would help. I'm kind of going in blind here. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

I can only tell you from my limited time visiting friends living in Toronto, so hope it helps somewhat!

Rent - haven't a clue. I do know that it can be expensive, so maybe see if you can find any other Irish people heading over that you could share with! irishalien.com is a good site to check out.

Transport - the setup in Toronto is fantastic. Between subway, streetcar and bus you can get anywhere, and it runs generally from 6am to 1am. It was easy to get anywhere, and the cost is reasonable.

My friends all live around Dufferin and College (near Dufferin Mall). My girlfriend is from Toronto, and she used to live around by Bloor and Ossington.

I spent a month there recently, and I have to say, I love Toronto and would happily move there in the morning. Best of luck with the move, anything you need to know let me know and I can ask herself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 retrodog

Hey Coolmoose!

I appreciate the info a whole lot, and getting on to your girlfriend might just be the ticket I'm looking for to figure things out!

I'm very happy about the public transport situation, that alleviates a lot of concern about location/proximity to a workplace. I've checked the areas you mentioned for accommodation, as part of me assumes that if they have experience in Toronto, they know where to be. Looks good!

I was hoping you could ask her what the 'bad' areas might be, so I can go ahead and not rent there. I'd also like to know if she has any other advice for someone dropping in out of the blue!

I don't know what else to ask-- I've been trying to come up with something! But I'm kind of hoping I'll just figure it out when I get there. I just want to have a place ready before I go (I assume there'll be places to buy food nearby wherever I end up renting), maybe a few interviews lined up, and get a good job so I can get set up and stay for good! :D

All I know is that I'm booked up and ready, and it's happening.

Will get her to answer those questions later on and I'll post her reply! Anything else you think of post, or drop me a PM. Anything you want to know about being Irish and moving there let me know, I can ask my friends living there for advice.

She said to try and rent around downtown, the bad areas are towards the outskirts of the city - however she would avoid Dufferin and King.

So North - South, anywhere between King and Bloor (or within 1 or 2 blocks of Bloor - this way you don't have to walk far to get subway).

East - West anywhere between Dufferin and Yonge (or within 1 or 2 blocks of these)

That keeps you within the downtown area, easier for food, going out, transport etc.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Im an irish guy over here if you need advise i can prob try to help you out.

I pay $680 for a one bed appartment near duffrein subway station and is close to downtown. I might have to sublet it as my job is on the line at the moment so i dunno what to do there. If you want any info do ask me and ill help you out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

I have live in Toronto my whole life. Best places to live are along the the Yonge subway line, Eglington being the furthest north. Waiting for street cars when its -20 degrees in winter suck. Rent for a one bedroom should be around $1000 a month, a little more if you want a nicer place. If you have any other question let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 eim

hi guys, me and my boyfriend are moving here in 3 weeks for a working holiday. Just wondering how yous are all getting on and if yous have any advice? thanks :)

Advertisement