Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business closures around the county

• 16-04-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

The Harbour Store on the pier in Killybegs is closing after 16 years in business

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

A bit off topic but the house beside McGinleys Garage anyone know what's happening with it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Which one?

The one below McGinleys has a For Sale sign. The one above is part of the garage used as offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

The Harbour Store on the pier in Killybegs is closing after 16 years in business

that's a shock is this anything to do with rates as it is on the pier?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

byte wrote: »
    Which one?

The one below McGinleys has a For Sale sign. The one above is part of the garage used as offices?

The one on the pier. I don't know what other one you mean
    Carrickman wrote: »
    that's a shock is this anything to do with rates as it is on the pier?
    According to an article in the Democrat (available online), the Dept. of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food own the building and they have an upward only rent review policy :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,810 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I've started this new thread to keep things neat and tidy as a couple of the posts above were off topic in the "o2 closing down in Donegal" thread.

Anyone who knows of any business recently closed or about to close can post the details here.

Sadly it wont make for nice reading though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

muffler wrote: »
    Anyone who knows of any business recently closed or about to close can post the details here.

Sadly it wont make for nice reading though.

This could turn into a very long thread. Every town and village in Donegal has vacant buildings and 'for let' signs.

The Milford Inn is the most recent high profile closure but many small shops, pubs, hairdressers, etc are closing all the time. Usually only the owner and one or two staff are affected and they don't leave debts or lost deposits so they don't even get a mention.

echo beach wrote: »
    This could turn into a very long thread.
    I really hope it doesn't for obvious reasons.

However the thread may serve a purpose by pointing the politicians to it whenever they're on their soapbox claiming to have done this, that and the other for employment in the county.

I'll stop. I feel the blood pressure rising :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

muffler wrote: »
    I really hope it doesn't for obvious reasons.

However the thread may serve a purpose by pointing the politicians to it whenever they're on their soapbox claiming to have done this, that and the other for employment in the county.

I'll stop. I feel the blood pressure rising :mad:

Plus the o2 thread was quite misleading in the end.

<hides>

;)

irish-stew wrote: »
    Plus the o2 thread was quite misleading in the end.

<hides>

;)
    With all the talk about food I hadn't the heart to moderate it :D

Which one?

The one with the For Sale sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Firblog

Which McGinleys Garage... Donegal Town or Letterkenny?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Firblog wrote: »
    I had assumed Donegal town, though not sure. However, there is a house beside McGinleys with a For Sale sign alright.

Have to admit, I've not looked much at it, didn't realise stuff was happening with it.

While in the same neck of the woods (though admittedly OT, just doesn't warrant its own thread), that seated area on the roof of the new Tourist Info gaff with the fancy flowers, etc. - has it ever been open? I've not seen anyone sitting up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭overshoot

While in the same neck of the woods (though admittedly OT, just doesn't warrant its own thread), that seated area on the roof of the new Tourist Info gaff with the fancy flowers, etc. - has it ever been open? I've not seen anyone sitting up there.
    its in a terrible place, there is nothing on that side of the road after Doms, the next thing is a dentist by the tech (mcginleys comes and goes!), and there is a big gap in the footpath to the gate too... any tourist who wants a view will have walked down the pier before they even realise its there. basically a case of looks pretty in plan but complete ignorance of context.... as in basic footfall
    im pretty sure i remember the gate being open from the road but looking at google street view its closed and the gate from the car park side up the steps is half open

Firblog wrote: »
    Im confused now myself. I thought it was Letterkenny.

No Donegal Town McGinleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Back to the topic of closures, Classic Casuals on Letterkenny's main street is closed according to today's People's Press. The one in the shopping centre closed a while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭electro-shocks

Classic blinds which was beside glencar has now closed

Posh dolly's I think it was a women's clothes shop or something like that on lower main street is also gone.

Reynolds music shop seems to be closed quite a lot these days, don't think they have closed up shop yet tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Classic blinds which was beside glencar has now closed

Posh dolly's I think it was a women's clothes shop or something like that on lower main street is also gone.

Reynolds music shop seems to be closed quite a lot these days, don't think they have closed up shop yet tho.

Posh Dolly's was a charity shop and disappeared around the same time that Donegal Pet Rescue opened a charity shop a few doors along. Three charity shops (inc. Deja Vu) within 100 metres would never have survived!

Orion's health food store on Oliver Plunkett closed a few months ago and the Courtyard Centre has lost a few tenants this year - O'Donnells Pharmacy, Shoe Zone, Gadget Store (moved to Tesco centre) and upstairs Sara has amalgamated with downstairs Sara.
    And now Pat's Pizza has fallen by the wayside! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Posh Dolly's was a charity shop and disappeared around the same time that Donegal Pet Rescue opened a charity shop a few doors along. Three charity shops (inc. Deja Vu) within 100 metres would never have survived!

Orion's health food store on Oliver Plunkett closed a few months ago and the Courtyard Centre has lost a few tenants this year - O'Donnells Pharmacy, Shoe Zone, Gadget Store (moved to Tesco centre) and upstairs Sara has amalgamated with downstairs Sara.
    And now Pat's Pizza has fallen by the wayside! :(

Is Pat's Pizza closed :eek: Please tell me no, best pizza around :(

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Is Pat's Pizza closed :eek: Please tell me no, best pizza around :(

I am open to correction but I dont think Pat's Pizza is closed, I though it was closed too reading the Donegal News last night as the owners of Pats's were in the paper saying that another buniness has closed on the main street and something needs to be done about it, the bit did not mention what placed closed, and so left the impression that it was Pats that had closed, but inside the paper there was a bit about Classic Casuals closing down this week so that was the business that the owners of Pats were commenting on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

That's a real pity. I remember the TV program last year about Oatfield. They interviewed workers and former workers. They came across as one big family dedicated to their work.

I am open to correction but I dont think Pat's Pizza is closed, I though it was closed too reading the Donegal News last night as the owners of Pats's were in the paper saying that another buniness has closed on the main street and something needs to be done about it, the bit did not mention what placed closed, and so left the impression that it was Pats that had closed, but inside the paper there was a bit about Classic Casuals closing down this week so that was the business that the owners of Pats were commenting on

That's where I got the impression they were closing - my apologies for giving Pat's fans heart failure!
    http://donegalnews.com/2012/04/26/combined-effort-needed-to-save-heart-of-cathedral-town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

That's where I got the impression they were closing - my apologies for giving Pat's fans heart failure!
    http://donegalnews.com/2012/04/26/combined-effort-needed-to-save-heart-of-cathedral-town

Your not forgiven, that like saying the 4 lights is closing... blasphemous :pac:

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Absolutly loved pats when I was living in Letterkenny. Even though its been a few years since I ate from it, would be devestated knowing it would never be there for me just in case.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah had a minor heart attack when I read that, best pizza in the town easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A shame to see Classic Casuals going, best menswear shop in the town for years, probably too much competition in the town now, a couple have closed now.

Is Jack Jones still open? Walked past it a couple of weeks ago and it was shut.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

K-9 wrote: »
    A shame to see Classic Casuals going, best menswear shop in the town for years, probably too much competition in the town now, a couple have closed now.

Is Jack Jones still open? Walked past it a couple of weeks ago and it was shut.

Jack and Jones are closed too.

Disappointing to see Classic Casuals going...I don't really like Evolve or River Island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Energise Gym at the New Dunnes has closed as well.

Advertisement