Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Red Dwarf X - Coming September 2012, Dave Confirms News on Website

Options
  • 15-04-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So Doug has reconfirmed this, all is good with the world, a new show is 100% being made

http://uktv.co.uk/dave/article/aid/630663

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/04/15/new-series-of-red-dwarf-confirmed/

Attending Dimension Jump XVI on Sunday, April 10th, Red Dwarf's co-creator, writer, director and executive producer Doug Naylor confirmed to fans that all the hope and possibility of recent times has come good: there will be more new Dwarf.

Thanking Steve North and Jane Rogerson from Dave - the channel behind 2009's Back to Earth as well as these new episodes - the statement came just moments before being released on the Dave website.

The facts are:

The series will feature Rimmer, Lister, Cat and Kryten, once again played by Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn. (Y'know, unless anyone starts demanding a gold-plated dressing room or something.)
    Each episode will be approximately 30 minutes in duration. This is a big difference from the 23 minute episodes of Back to Earth. To compensate for this fuller length and commercial break, the new episodes will be shown in a 40 minute slot, much as current Dwarf repeats are on Dave.
    There will be six episodes in the series. The numbering of 'Series X' being both a pretty good promotional title for the channel, and technically correct since Back to Earth was a 'ninth series'.
    Shooting will take place this coming November, December and January, with broadcast slated for September 2012. That apparent delay is born of common sense - after its complex post-production, Red Dwarf X would be ready to broadcast in the summer, but that's a time of low audiences. An autumn launch will make the very most of Dave's new commission.
    Taking questions from fans during a Q&A session, other - decidedly unconfirmed - possibilities came to light. Doug's focus is on a characterful series, coming back down to the 'intimate SF/sitcom' stylings of earlier series (though anyone who thinks Series III isn't pretty huge-looking needs to rewatch their DVD). There's always a possibility that Holly might return, but how and played by whom is up for grabs. And Talkie Toaster could always make a reappearance, too.

Hopes of new model effects - rather than CGI spaceships - were high, but dependant on budget. Similarly, Doug and the cast hope to shoot the series in front of a live studio audience... they just need to make it feasible, and convince the channel!

Brand new Red Dwarf. Can you believe it?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

So Doug has reconfirmed this, all is good with the world, a new show is 100% being made

http://uktv.co.uk/dave/article/aid/630663

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2011/04/15/new-series-of-red-dwarf-confirmed/

Attending Dimension Jump XVI on Sunday, April 10th, Red Dwarf's co-creator, writer, director and executive producer Doug Naylor confirmed to fans that all the hope and possibility of recent times has come good: there will be more new Dwarf.

Thanking Steve North and Jane Rogerson from Dave - the channel behind 2009's Back to Earth as well as these new episodes - the statement came just moments before being released on the Dave website.

The facts are:

The series will feature Rimmer, Lister, Cat and Kryten, once again played by Chris Barrie, Craig Charles, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn. (Y'know, unless anyone starts demanding a gold-plated dressing room or something.)
    Each episode will be approximately 30 minutes in duration. This is a big difference from the 23 minute episodes of Back to Earth. To compensate for this fuller length and commercial break, the new episodes will be shown in a 40 minute slot, much as current Dwarf repeats are on Dave.
    There will be six episodes in the series. The numbering of 'Series X' being both a pretty good promotional title for the channel, and technically correct since Back to Earth was a 'ninth series'.
    Shooting will take place this coming November, December and January, with broadcast slated for September 2012. That apparent delay is born of common sense - after its complex post-production, Red Dwarf X would be ready to broadcast in the summer, but that's a time of low audiences. An autumn launch will make the very most of Dave's new commission.
    Taking questions from fans during a Q&A session, other - decidedly unconfirmed - possibilities came to light. Doug's focus is on a characterful series, coming back down to the 'intimate SF/sitcom' stylings of earlier series (though anyone who thinks Series III isn't pretty huge-looking needs to rewatch their DVD). There's always a possibility that Holly might return, but how and played by whom is up for grabs. And Talkie Toaster could always make a reappearance, too.

Hopes of new model effects - rather than CGI spaceships - were high, but dependant on budget. Similarly, Doug and the cast hope to shoot the series in front of a live studio audience... they just need to make it feasible, and convince the channel!

Brand new Red Dwarf. Can you believe it?!

Could be good, filming in front of a large studio audience may give them the kick to tighten up the comedy and scripting issues which have been present since the other guy left. New dwarf is a good thing but I would like to see the dude who left return as doug naylor, while imaginative and having many good ideas, isn't that funny on his own and needs to be reigned in a bit as the meta fiction idea demonstrated, in my experience meta fiction narratives don't seem to work out well in that the writer is basically dismantling a world the audience can live within in their imaginations, which is going to probably cause a bad reaction. Even if you situate it within the logic of that world as with the Dark Tower its still a fundamental undermining of its reality. Although to get Barclay-ish on the matter who know if this world isn't just another holodeck fantasy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Fingers crossed:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What does season 10 need?

- Back to basics, scaled back budget, part of the charm and comedy was its simplicity!
    - The classic stories of their childhoods, always a laugh.
    - Less dramatic storylines

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It needs Grant Naylor!

And also to forget everything they thought was a good idea for Back to Earth. I still shudder thinking about that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 scoobyjack

They just need to resist the temptation to take it in any way seriously. You could see in earlier series that the lads were struggling not to laugh in some of the effects and "cgi" scenes.

The studio audience could really help with that though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 schiz0phren1c

Smoke me a god damn kipper!
    this is good news...now to kidnap Rob Grant+Doug Naylor and stick them in the "teleporter" from "the fly" and reinstate Grant Naylor as a gestalt entity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

or just Rob Grant
    Rob Grant's novels are pretty good and I liked the Strangerers too.
    Doug Naylor - well he should have been banned from writing after Back to Earth. my god that was horrible.

Filming is finished for this now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Fool me once - shame on you.

If it's another Back To Earth then it'll be shame on me.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Ridley

Brace yourselves... here's the first photo from #RedDwarfX! Anyone as excited as we are right now?! #RedDwarf http://pic.twitter.com/Kj0dE8jX

Well I like it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Ridley wrote: »
    Well I like it. ;)
    ArZToOcCMAAhK9p.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can.not.wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Well smoke me a kipper...

It's been far too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Kryten's aged...

G.K. wrote: »
    Kryten's aged...

I'd say thats just the lighting, his aging would be the easiest to cover up. I think they all look great, Red Dwarf is 20 years old!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

He's a Series 4000 Mechanoid that's been in the depths of outer space for 3 million years, you think 12 years would age him? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Hurray! Howard Goodall's doing the music again! :D

http://twitter.com/#!/RedDwarfHQ/status/197669080252157952

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭andyps2.5

I hope they keep the effects as they were in season 9. I like practical effects I don't want to watch another reboot were the uses tons of CGI and green screen effects.

andyps2.5 wrote: »
    I hope they keep the effects as they were in season 9. I like practical effects I don't want to watch another reboot were the uses tons of CGI and green screen effects.

:confused:

Season 9 was Back To Earth, all effects were CGI?

Season 7 onwards was where they led heavily towards CGI in favour of models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I hope it's not visually like Back to Earth, even though it looked good it made everything seem so empty, the last B5 movie had the same issue.

I hope it's not visually like Back to Earth, even though it looked good it made everything seem so empty, the last B5 movie had the same issue.

Agreed, the look & feel of a real set trumps a cgi/enhanced set every time. I don't think it'll be as bad as BTE though, as this is filmed in front of a live audience & that would have been very weird for the audience...watching everything against a green screen...so there is hope!

• Advertisement

These are old articles from the end of 2011, but apparently it's looking quite good.

Wired: Behind the Scenes of Red Dwarf X
    Huffington Post: Red Dwarf returns. I Attend The Filming Of The New Series

From the Huffington Post article it seems that the cast are relishing performing in front of an audience, especially Kryten in "translation mode". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Sparks43 wrote: »

The lads are starting to show their age, more so than BTE even...but still, it looks promising. Has a real Series 3/4 look/feel to it :) Hopefully its heavy on humour & low on cgi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Looks good and thankfully nothing like BTE.

It made me laugh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Hmmm... I've been getting excited about every series since #7 and been more and mroe let down (although in fairness #7 itself had a few good laughs) - I think the show "jumped the shark" somewhere between #6 and #7 - though others will say it was between #5 and #6.

Yeah it seems to be since the disappearence of Rob Grant - Doug Naylor wrote some great story lines and I loved Last Human, but I think to get the proper humour you need them both... or - maybe they are just too old...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

A lot of promising things were said in that initial piece, but the most important is that they're going back to the small setting/studio audience sitcom approach. Definitely needed to make the most out of the writing and have everything up to snuff. My two least favourite seasons (7 and 9) did away with that, and focused more on drama/unfunny jokes. Season 8 was the perfect marriage of both as they took what they learned on S7 and applied it to a sitcom set. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with?

Are they going to fill the gap between 8 and 9 in an episode or are they waiting for the movie that's never going to happen?

Advertisement