Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spices

• 19-04-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I couldn't find a thread started on this topic, so I hope it's okay to start one here. I'm trying to cook some more varied Pakistan/Indian recipes.

90% of the ingredients I can find in shops that I'm aware of. However a lot of the spices I'm not sure where I could purchase them in the South Dublin region or the City Centre.

*Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch) - tsp
    *Garam Masala - 2 tsp
    *Dry fenugreek – 2 tsp
    *Big cardamom seeds only – 1
    *4 tbsp Garam Masala (whole)

If anyone can think of a shop to purchase a variety of spices and subcontinent ingredients that would be a great help,

Thanks
    Crem :)...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I'm sure I've seen cardamom seeds in Dunnes Stores in Mullingar, maybe some Dunnes in Dublin (Henry Street, Square Tallaght etc) might have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Whole food/health food shop in your area would have them...there's a Dublin food co-op I think, and a shop called the hop sack... But since I'm in cork what the hell do I know...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 22,742 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There are 2 Asian shops in the lane between Harcourt Street & South Richmond Street. You will find all of the above in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cremated wrote: »
    Hey,

*Red Chilli Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch) - tsp
    *Garam Masala - 2 tsp
    *Dry fenugreek – 2 tsp
    *Big cardamom seeds only – 1
    *4 tbsp Garam Masala (whole)

Just in case you can't get the above, here are some substitutions that might help.

Chili powder should be readily available in supermarkets in the spice section.

Garam masala - you can make your own if you can't buy it made up. It's a blend of spices added, usually at the end of cooking, to 'round off' the flavours in a curry. The blends I buy usually have a strong note of cloves in them. There are quite a few recipes for garam masala on the net if you wanted to mix up your own.

Dry fenugreek - fenugreek is an odd blend of mild licorice-ness and unsweet maple syrupyness. If I were to try replacing it, I might grind up half and half fennel seeds and mustard seeds and add a little sweetness to the post using a bit of maple syrup.

Big cardamom seeds - if you're referring to brown cardamom as opposed to the fragrant green seeds, they're totally different. They look like vaguely shrivelled nutmegs and are about the same size. I actually can't think of anything you could substitute for them, because they have this really peculiar and totally unique flavour. If you can't find them, I'd leave them out as opposed to subbing for them.

Whole garam masala. As I said, garam masala is a spice blend. It's not a nut or seed in its own right. Recommending 'whole garam masala' is recommending you add the spices that normally go into garam masala as whole spices, in which case they'd need to go in at the beginning of cooking rather than at the end... Hmmm - if I were to try a stab at 'whole garam masala' I'd probably add (and see below for the caveat)

1-2 bay leaves
    1 tsp whole cloves
    2 tsps whole black peppercorns
    2 tsps cumin seeds
    1 tsp coriander seeds
    1 tablespoon of whole green cardamom pods (that's probably about 10 - 15 pods balanced on a spoon)
    1 cinnamon stick

As a personal preference, I do not enjoy booby-trapped food, so I'm not a big lover of whole spice in a curry sauce. If I'm cooking a curry like this, I'll start with a plain peanut oil, brown the meat in the oil (getting a good braise), remove the meat from the oil with a slotted spoon, and then add the whole spices to the same oil. Because of my personal preference, I'll often add twice the spice amounts to the oil, let them sizzle until they pop and smell fragrant, and then take the pot right off the oil and let the spices infuse into the oil for a few minutes as it cools. Then I'll fish them out of the pot with a slotted spoon, leaving only the large, whole spices (bay leaves, cinnamon stick). From there, the pot with the spice-infused oil goes back on the heat and then in go the onions, and ginger-garlic paste and so on. It's a bit fiddly but I truly hate encountering a whole cardamom in the middle of a mouthful of food and I still want the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

There is a supermarket in the grounds of the plaza hotel in Tallaght. Its not eastern european,more asian/arabic.They have a butcher/meat counter(halal) I LOVE popping in during lunch hour to have a browse & pretend Im in a foreign country :) I was in there last fri & got some ghee, haloumi, mustard seeds & curry leaves. Dont let the veg section put you off (its a bit rough & ready) they sell olive oil by the gallon & all sorts of rice (which come in small bags up to possibly a stone or 2). Oh. ..and an entire aisle devoted to spices. (at very reasonable prices).
    Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 lkdsl

Asia Market on Drury Street, D2. Any decent healthfood or ethnic shop. In my experience, the spices bought in Asian (and other ethnic) shops are fresher and taste better.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

I think I've got all the information I need here and will sit through it now and have a good read.

I really appreciate all the detailed feedback and guides.

Thanks very much,

I'll pop back if I have any hassle.

P.S any recommendations of a really strong spice I can add to a chilli to spice it up?. I've got bored of all the variations that I have at my disposal...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Can I just ad a big +1 for spice shops. I was buying my spices in the supermarkets, I lately started using the spice shop in Tullamore's Market square. I worked it out last night.

I was paying 1:89 for 28g of Cumin (Swartz)
    In spice store i got 400g for 4:50!!!

Thats a 675% saving!!

He also gave me a recipe for curry and recommended a good Basmanti rice (1kg for 2:95)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

As a personal preference, I do not enjoy booby-trapped food, so I'm not a big lover of whole spice in a curry sauce.
    +1 to this. nothing worse than enjoying a really nice curry and biting right through a whole green cardamom pod! :eek:

it's like someone exploding a washing powder bomb in your mouth. :mad:
    lkdsl wrote: »
    Asia Market on Drury Street, D2. Any decent healthfood or ethnic shop. In my experience, the spices bought in Asian (and other ethnic) shops are fresher and taste better.
    +1 to this too.

there's also a decent asian shop on abbey st. right next to the jervis centre luas stop.

they're also great for buying frozen raw tiger prawns and frozen pre-cooked peking duck and stuff like that. they also do a great selection of pretty tasty frozen dim sum that you can steam off yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I could purchase them in the South Dublin
    There is an indian one in blackrock market which is open till 8 all nights, and one in dun laoghaire
    rubadub wrote: »

They are up the back of the market, where the green arrow is pointing here
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.300859,-6.178485&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=19

There is a Filipino shop in dun laoghaire too "Pinoy sari sari store", opposite walters near the peoples park
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.289563,-6.13002&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Guill wrote: »
    Can I just ad a big +1 for spice shops. I was buying my spices in the supermarkets, I lately started using the spice shop in Tullamore's Market square. I worked it out last night.

I was paying 1:89 for 28g of Cumin (Swartz)
    In spice store i got 400g for 4:50!!!

Thats a 675% saving!!

He also gave me a recipe for curry and recommended a good Basmanti rice (1kg for 2:95)

Yes the spice shops are way way cheaper than supermarkets for spices but I'd be very wary of buying the big bags of spices cause they're cheaper.
    It can be a false economy cause you end up with 2 year old spices in your cupboard. So unless you use a lot of spices very regularly I'd stick to the 100gm packs. Using fresh spices will do wonders for your dishes as does grinding whole spices yourself rather than using powdered spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

There's a new Indian/Asian shop at the top of Rathmines, the end further from town, just across from Slattery's pub. It's quite big, and stocks all the usual East End spices, lentils etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Yes the spice shops are way way cheaper than supermarkets for spices but I'd be very wary of buying the big bags of spices cause they're cheaper.
    It can be a false economy cause you end up with 2 year old spices in your cupboard. So unless you use a lot of spices very regularly I'd stick to the 100gm packs. Using fresh spices will do wonders for your dishes as does grinding whole spices yourself rather than using powdered spices.

I only got the cumin in the 400g, all else in 100. Seems that we fly through cumin in no time.

if you are ever in navan, there's a shop run by the same people that own the copper and spices indian restaurant and they sell packs with meal sized portions of spices for various different indian dishes.

i actually did an indian cookery course with them last year that my wife got me for xmas and had a great time learning how to make everything fresh, highly recommended. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

P.S any recommendations of a really strong spice I can add to a chilli to spice it up?. I've got bored of all the variations that I have at my disposal...

I use red chili powder (medium heat) and fresh ground cumin, which suits me. In the Cooking Club sub-forum, there's a chili recipe that's extremely popular (think it's Sparks' recipe?) - give that a look if you want some variation!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055938138

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Adobo sauce recipe

Called a sauce, the result is more of a paste and it will solidify after a few days in the fridge. I add a couple of tablespoon sized chunks to chilli recipes in place of chilli powder.

1 dried chipotle chilli
    2 dried ancho chillies
    50 ml red wine vinegar
    90ml orange juice
    30ml lime juice
    50g chopped onion
    30g chopped garlic
    100g honey
    10g salt

Dry roast the chillies, cut open and remove the seeds. Place the chillies in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let soak for 30 minutes.
    Put the soft chillies in a food processor with 30ml of the soaking liquid and pulse. Add everything else and pulse until smooth.

I find the chipotle are too fiddley to try removing seeds, so I leave them in for the extra heat. The ancho peppers are large dark purple (almost black) and have a lot of seeds so worthwhile trying to get those out. I use the recipe as a guide rather than accurately measuring everything. I store it in a jar in the fridge and it last ages - all that smoke, sugar and vinegar are natural preservatives.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd say the dried Fenugeek is the leaves as opposed to the seeds, which are more available. I couldn't find any in Ireland, ended up buying online from the uk. What was the recipe they were used in?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

The dried fenugreek will definitely be leaves - look for packs of 'methi' or 'kasoori/quasoori methi'. These people http://bombaybazar.ie/ have three outlets in the Dublin area, am sure you could get all your ingredients from them - either in person or online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Darkginger wrote: »
    The dried fenugreek will definitely be leaves - look for packs of 'methi' or 'kasoori/quasoori methi'. These people http://bombaybazar.ie/ have three outlets in the Dublin area, am sure you could get all your ingredients from them - either in person or online :)

there is an asian grocers on mary street a couple of doors up from Medina, they are very good for Indian stuff and always stock methi/fenugreek leaves. they have a great range of asian veg and stock MDH deggi mirch which is the best chilli powder imho(gives great colour and flavor).
    its a good spot because you can get a cheap and cheerful indian lunch in medina and pick up whatever you need a couple of doors down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I love exploding green cardomoms in a mouthful of Pilau Rice !! :D

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    I love exploding green cardomoms in a mouthful of Pilau Rice !! :D
    oh god no. :(

i'm happy to cook with them and even like ground green cardamom in dishes, but the whole ones are just nasty.

i think it goes back to the first curries i ever at at the house where i used to babysit for a couple of (1990's versions of) foodies when i was in my teens and they used to (figuratively) torture me with food in an effort to get me to broaden my horizons, which did actually work, but they'd always leave green cardamoms in their curries and i kept biting into them accidentally and getting their full on 'persil automatic' power on my delicate teenage palette and i don't think i ever got over it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Spice shop in Blackrock market have both fenugreek leaves & seeds. Got them there myself a few weeks back. Couldn't survive without that shop.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Minder wrote: »
    Adobo sauce recipe
    +infinity.
    I haven't actually made it from scratch myself (and with junior around, I don't think I'll get the chance for a while - I'm only able to post now because he's snoring), I buy it in jars from Fallon&Byrne. And I mean, I'll go there, endure the fun of dublin traffic and dublin parking, just to buy that one ingredient. It turns chilli into the best chilli in the world, it's great as an addition to the liquid for pulled pork, it's fabulous in almost any tex mex kind of meal, and it's one of the few pastes I know of where I'll lick the spoon after measuring some into whatever dish I'm cooking.
    Seriously, ever since we moved and F&B's is now an hour or so away, I've been watching my stash of the stuff decline and pondering internet mail delivery...

Actually, on that tangent, help! Does anyone know of any half-decent spice shops or asian markets around the Dundrum/Sandyford area?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks wrote: »
    Actually, on that tangent, help! Does anyone know of any half-decent spice shops or asian markets around the Dundrum/Sandyford area?
    And as usual, the minute you ask, you find the answer; there's an Asia Market branch out near ballymount, off J10 on the M50 (the signs say cash&carry, but they also sell to the public). Sorted, and had proper from-scratch beef with black bean sauce for tea. Nyom...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think this a legitimate form of hijacking:o

Does anyone have a good recipe for Garam Massala?

My current batch has ran out and I've mislaid my recipe.

Gbear wrote: »
    I think this a legitimate form of hijacking:o

Does anyone have a good recipe for Garam Massala?

My current batch has ran out and I've mislaid my recipe.

Garam Masala

50g coriander seed
    50g cumin seed
    20 green cardamom pods
    10 cinnamon sicks 1" long
    2tbs cloves
    10 blades of mace
    10 black cardamom seeds
    1/2 a nutmeg
    1tbs black peppercorns
    4 bay leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

If you can't be bothered blending spices yourself then you can get ready-mixed spices from www.greensaffron.com (based in Cork).
    I am a big fan of Indian food - I have a few indian cook books and often blend the spices myself, but these guys do make great spice mixes aswell. I have tried their spice mixes and the dishes are yum!

edit: they also do a garam masala

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you can't be bothered blending spices yourself then you can get ready-mixed spices from www.greensaffron.com (based in Cork).
    I am a big fan of Indian food - I have a few indian cook books and often blend the spices myself, but these guys do make great spice mixes aswell. I have tried their spice mixes and the dishes are yum!

edit: they also do a garam masala

It's fierce expensive though.

40g of garam massala for €3.85.

It's about €1 for 100g of each of the component parts in my local local indian (or somewhere else in that neck of the woods) news agent.

Mace and black cardomom are a little harder to find but I'm sure they have them in the English Market.

All told, you can make 250g of it for about €5.

You're far better off making it yourself.
    You just dry roast the whole spices and grind them in a coffee grinder.
    I've a jar with a rubber seal that seems to keep it fresh for a long time.
    Garam Masala

50g coriander seed
    50g cumin seed
    20 green cardamom pods
    10 cinnamon sicks 1" long
    2tbs cloves
    10 blades of mace
    10 black cardamom seeds
    1/2 a nutmeg
    1tbs black peppercorns
    4 bay leaves

Would it do any harm to throw in black cumin (could be caraway, not sure)? I think I used it last time.

Other than that it looks pretty familiar.

It's fierce expensive though.

40g of garam massala for €3.85.

It's about €1 for 100g of each of the component parts in my local local indian (or somewhere else in that neck of the woods) news agent.

Mace and black cardomom are a little harder to find but I'm sure they have them in the English Market.

All told, you can make 250g of it for about €5.

You're far better off making it yourself.
    You just dry roast the whole spices and grind them in a coffee grinder.
    I've a jar with a rubber seal that seems to keep it fresh for a long time.

Would it do any harm to throw in black cumin (could be caraway, not sure)? I think I used it last time.

Other than that it looks pretty familiar.

i have to agree with your pricing although i hear its a premium product so maybe worth the price to some.

cumin seed is a lot more pungent and potent than black cumin and has a different flavor so it would give a very different effect in garam masala. not to say its any better to use cumin, it could be a nice variation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Black cumin, although it looks a bit like caraway, isn't the same thing at all. It's a different kind of flavour, a slightly burnt / smoky one, and smells not unlike black cardamoms. It's not that common either so you're more likely to have caraway I'd say, in which case don't use it.

Advertisement