Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG TD Promises new station in Oranmore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Not even tendered out that I know of but he needs the publicity and him a backbencher.

Shame he never mention which year :D ....and what about the equally deserving Crusheen??

http://www.galwaynews.ie/20172-work-begin-on%E2%80%88oranmore-train-station-october

Crusheen already has planning according to WOT boys
    Planning Granted for new Crusheen Railway Station

Press Release Tuesday June 14th 2011

The granting of Planning Permission to Iarnród Éireann to construct a new railway station at Crusheen as part of a range of new developments on the Galway-Limerick section of the Western Rail Corridor, has been warmly welcomed by the West on Track campaign.
    Iarnród Éireann recently announced that over 250,000 journeys have been made across the Limerick-Galway route since it opened on 30th March 2010, and the construction of the new station at Crusheen together with a major commuter station at Oranmore is expected to attract many more customers to the route. Iarnród Éireann plans to have both stations open during the first half of 2012.
    A spokesman for West on Track said that there had been attempts to play down the success of the Galway-Limerick route but that the recent announcements of new services, connections for Dublin and the two new stations served to underline the success of the railway over its first year.
    “The construction of Crusheen and Oranmore needs to be viewed in the context of the news that a quarter of a million passengers have travelled on services on the Galway-Limerick route in its first year, availing of commuter and inter-city services. There are now up to 26 distinct services operating daily on Phase 1 of the Western Rail Corridor*. We are confident that the additional new and improved services and connections together with these new stations will lead to continued strong growth across the route leading to further expansion and development in the near future,” said the spokesman.
    *5 daily Limerick-Galway (Intercity & Commuter); 1 daily Galway-Ennis (Commuter); 5 daily Limerick-Ennis (Commuter) 2 daily Galway-Athenry (Commuter) using WRC rolling stock. All return. This gives a total of 26 services on the corridor (Mon-Sat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

250000 = 4800 per 7 day week = 4100 per 6 day week = 686 per day = 26 people per train...is it still profitable???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

wellbutty wrote: »
    250000 = 4800 per 7 day week = 4100 per 6 day week = 686 per day = 26 people per train...is it still profitable???

Was it ever profitable? ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

dubhthach wrote: »
    Was it ever profitable? ;)

So, what we are saying is that building stations in Galway is a waste of resources when Rathfarnham and Terenure and Rathmines still have no rail connection?

Maybe that's not what you said but I'm sure that's what you meant.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Wild Bill wrote: »
    So, what we are saying is that building stations in Galway is a waste of resources when Rathfarnham and Terenure and Rathmines still have no rail connection?

Yes, I would say that, but I would also say that spending money on any rail project other than Dart Underground (and measures to support it) is stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Eh no as someone from Galway I couldn't care less about Rathfarnham, Terenure or Rathmines, particulary as I've the dart at my backdoor if I want to use the train. Quicker driving to work over the eastlink (cheaper too) :D

dubhthach wrote: »
    Eh no as someone from Galway I couldn't care less about Rathfarnham, Terenure or Rathmines

Indeed, neither could I! As I now have a Luas at the front door (give or take a few hundred metres) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I'll believe when I see it, but the station is due to start construction within the next month.
    Work is due to commence on the new railway station in Oranmore within the next month.

Planning permission was granted for the 174 metre platform and a 150 bay carpark last year.

It'll serve both the Limerick and Dublin railway lines and will also provide access to the city for local commuters.

It's to be located beside the new level crossing at Gurrane, the Galway side of Oranmore village.

Independent TD Noel Grealish says Galway County Council and Iarnrod Eireann hope to complete the work by the end of this year.

Deputy Grealish says the station should also ease traffic problems in the city as commuters can now leave their cars at home

Considering the earliest train currently gets into Galway at 8.05, it's useless for the factories around town (most of which start their shifts at 8, some earlier).

for this to be a success, they really need to review the timetable - ditto for WRC. Two chances of seeing this happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

A station and no passing loop. Half measures just like Sixmilebridge which added a minor catchment but retained the capacity bottleneck of a single track section of a track expected to provide bidirectional service at all times.

antoobrien wrote: »
    I'll believe when I see it, but the station is due to start construction within the next month.

Considering the earliest train currently gets into Galway at 8.05, it's useless for the factories around town (most of which start their shifts at 8, some earlier).

for this to be a success, they really need to review the timetable - ditto for WRC. Two chances of seeing this happen though.

Surely a shuttle service between Oranmore and Galway would do the trick? (Like the one used to operate between Bray and Greystones)

Average shuttle train would probably carry more than Ennis - Galway does in a month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

antoobrien wrote: »

Why won't the station be located where the current station building is?
    The gurrane site seems further away again from the village centre.

Could it be to do with parking - or maybe even possible future development of a commuter line?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Could it be to do with parking - or maybe even possible future development of a commuter line?

It seems to be a good bit off the dual carriage way whereas the former station is just past the Maldron. There's also a huge field located next to the old station. :confused: Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Surely a shuttle service between Oranmore and Galway would do the trick?
    No bay or loop, no shuttle. I presume Greystones always had two platforms?

dowlingm wrote: »

This is the only photo "of the station" I could dig up...looking north from the station bridge...I guess the track always doubled at the station - but it's hard to be definitive from this.....

IMG_5516-001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Greystones on the OS 25" historical map.

Mind you, here's Oranmore station on the same map, with twin tracks and multiple platforms. It was twin track from here all the way into Galway in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

It's part of a proposed transport hub for Galway that was proposed as part of the "smarter travel" plan which was rejected by the government as a great of piece fantasy (should be on sale in the sci-fi/fantasy section in Easons imo).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

dowlingm wrote: »
    The plan is to shuttle from Athenry to Galway via Oranmore.

Advertisement