Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The scale of te universe 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The addition of the minecraft-iverse was nice...and surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I thought the universe would be bigger than 20 mouse scrolls

Nabber wrote: »
    I thought the universe would be bigger than 20 mouse scrolls

(Windows 7) Start - Devices and printers - right click on mouse and adjust scroll settings. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

chin_grin wrote: »
    (Windows 7) Start - Devices and printers - right click on mouse and adjust scroll settings. ;)

Thus giving you control over the size of the universe and making you a God.

Guill wrote: »
    Thus giving you control over the size of the universe and making you a God.

Pretty much what some of us in IT think of ourselves anyway...MWAHAWHAWHAWHAWWWWWW! <more coffee>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Anybody else have the Buck Rogers theme music going through their head as they scrolled??

• If you start at the end and scroll back really fast. It feels like you're falling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Interested to know if you opened this and went either down or up and what that would mean. Would be a good experiment to conduct.

1000 people are given the link. What % would start scrolling to the atomic level as opposed to out to the galaxies.

I went up 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That was fairly class! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Amazing! I find these other galaxies fascinating, surely they hold answers to questions of extraterrestial life. "Eridanus Supervoid - One theory says that it leads to a parallel universe"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Amazing! I find these other galaxies fascinating, surely they hold answers to questions of extraterrestial life. "Eridanus Supervoid - One theory says that it leads to a parallel universe"
    Another theory is that in the centre of every galaxy there is a black hole that leads to a whole other Universe also containing trillions of galaxies that each have a black hole that leads to a whole other Universe also containing trillions of galaxies etc etc...

At the end of the day we simply haven't got a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Another theory is that in the centre of every galaxy there is a black hole that leads to a whole other Universe also containing trillions of galaxies that each have a black hole that leads to a whole other Universe also containing trillions of galaxies etc etc...

At the end of the day we simply haven't got a clue!

So ultimately, what is the meaning of it all? Why are we here? No reason, we simply are just here? It has the potential to drive a man insane so they confine the people who get obsessed with these questions to philosophy departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

So ultimately, what is the meaning of it all? Why are we here? No reason, we simply are just here? It has the potential to drive a man insane so they confine the people who get obsessed with these questions to philosophy departments.

Personally, I'm happy to accept that there are millions of individuals much cleverer than I am working on the answers to these questions, if they are indeed answerable by us. I'm interested in the answers, but not willing to spend my life thinking about them! I'd love to see what will be known by people in the year 3000..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There is no spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I sometimes close my eyes and think about all this. I ask myself "why is there anything at all?" and "what happened for nothingness to be become something?" because surely there must have been a time when there was just nothing. The universe/stuff couldn't have been here for ever!? And what's outside it? Does it go on for ever?

I get vertigo when I think about all this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

I sometimes close my eyes and think about all this. I ask myself "why is there anything at all?" and "what happened for nothingness to be become something?" because surely there must have been a time when there was just nothing. The universe/stuff couldn't have been here for ever!? And what's outside it? Does it go on for ever?

I get vertigo when I think about all this!

I think about it as well, the odd time, but it just makes the human race feel so insignificant :(. What I'd like to know is, if the universe is constantly expanding what is it expanding into? That one drives me nuts!

The thing I find most incredible is, we can only imagine what life was like 2000 years ago, or around the time of the pyramids, or the middle ages, whenever, because we have no clear photographic images of these times. But when we look at something like the hubble deep field, we can see galaxies as they were 12 billion years ago, or if we look at the pillars of creation, we see them as they were thousands of years ago because they were desroyed circa 6000 years ago, but we have another 1000 years to see them as they were before. It's hard to take in, it's so incredible!

Ahhh these ideas make me wanna be an astronaut! :)

Why does there need to be a meaning to it? Can't there just be a reason?
    I believe we are here. A random chain of events caused it. I am comfortable with that. I wish other people I know were.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

Guill wrote: »
    Why does there need to be a meaning to it? Can't there just be a reason?
    I believe we are here. A random chain of events caused it. I am comfortable with that. I wish other people I know were.

I'm *happier* to think there's no meaning to it! The thought that we emerged from the chaos of the universe and that nothing is/was overseeing our existence is a much more comfortable thought to me than the thought that there's a point to the existence of us/life on earth... the former is as liberating as you can get, the other is suffocating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If you fill a hole in the ground with water, let it go stagnant & leave it be. Come back to it in six weeks & there'll be life in it. Mildew, bacteria, all kinds of stuff. There doesn't need to be a reason for life, it usually 'finds a way'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was there one of these a while ago tat had the planets shown from side view scrolling from left to right? I seem to remember being able to scroll and it showing earth the in comparible size to everything else. Was like a load of different size footballs.

Anyone got a link to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Was there one of these a while ago tat had the planets shown from side view scrolling from left to right? I seem to remember being able to scroll and it showing earth the in comparible size to everything else. Was like a load of different size footballs.

Anyone got a link to it?

Few of these floating around...

Advertisement