Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lloyd Alexander?

• 13-04-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Here's an interesting one,i was offered a car today,it's called a LLoyd Alexander,it's also irish,the name rings a bell but i have never seen one.
    do any of you know anything about these cars other than what is available on the net.
    ie were they sold here,is there a club,spares availability here etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I remember reading a magazine article about these cars many years ago.

It was called 'Living with a Lloyd' & was published in Irish Motorist magazine in about 1983.

I wonder if the car you were offered the same one as the one featured in the article?

I'll have a root round for the mag next time I'm at the folk's place.

I remember that they were built in Ireland alright & have some vague recollection of a German connection with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

There was one of these pictured on here in the last few years. the poster was a regular, though i forget who it was. the car was of interest to me as it had a ZY reg. might yours be this one? blue colour

regards Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ZY 7265 was the blue one, it was in a shed with another red one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Photo064.jpg

2009 thread Lloyd thread

The Sept 2011 Irish Vintage Scene mag has a feature on a Lloyd reg MZC 534

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I took that pic they were in gorey at the time but have since moved on. Quirky little thing but not for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I took that pic they were in gorey at the time but have since moved on. Quirky little thing but not for me.
    now that is interesting,as the one i was offered is in wexford,but i haven't seen it yet,hope to see it on sunday,will take some pics and post them up.

I'd say that they are one and the same! there cant be that many of them about, let alone an Irish one good luck with it hope you can save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Salysol,

if it is the zy one, I may be interested if you do not buy it.
    there was another for sale in Cork about a year ago, much work needed but intact.
    Regards rugbyman

Bingo!

A trawl thru the Class Archive has turned up the Sept '83 issue of Irish Motorist.

I have the article in front of me now.

It's about the experiances of an Irish car enthusiast in buying restoring & running a Lloyd Alexander.

Reading thru the article, it seems that 244 of them were assembled in Dublin by a firm called P R Reilly.

The parent company was indeed German.

The car featured is a Marine Blue example & it's reg was PZC 587.

I wonder if this one still exists?

244 hardly seems like they were a sales success no does it? I wonder were there many imported already assembled? or were they that rare over here, I know i never seen one before I took those pics and I haven't seen one since so they are defiantly worth saving.

As for poor PZC 587 doesn't show up on cartell so I can only assume it's dead or best case in someones shed awaiting recommissioning.

• Advertisement

rugbyman wrote: »
    Salysol,

if it is the zy one, I may be interested if you do not buy it.
    there was another for sale in Cork about a year ago, much work needed but intact.
    Regards rugbyman
    no problem Rugbyman,as i said i am going to look at it in the morning ,weather permitting,as far as i know this car has had extensive work carried out on it including a total respray at a cost of €1500, but the owner moved house a few years ago and the car has been left outside,so only god knows the condition of it now,he has a lot of new parts that will be going with the car.
    i will find out in the morning and take some pics.

Bingo!

A trawl thru the Class Archive has turned up the Sept '83 issue of Irish Motorist.

I have the article in front of me now.

It's about the experiances of an Irish car enthusiast in buying restoring & running a Lloyd Alexander.

Reading thru the article, it seems that 244 of them were assembled in Dublin by a firm called P R Reilly.

The parent company was indeed German.

The car featured is a Marine Blue example & it's reg was PZC 587.

I wonder if this one still exists?
    thanks for that,it would be a pure fluke if it was the same car,it seems they made a lot of different models in a short space of time of manufacture 10 years i think

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

P R reilly was a large garage on the Howth Road, Killester, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

DubCul wrote: »
    P R reilly was a large garage on the Howth Road, Killester, Dublin.

Its still there just as a car accessory shop now really... its above the Topaz station

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

I've a pick of PZC taken about 20 years ago at a show, it was dark blue in colour from memory

DarenO wrote: »
    I've a pick of PZC taken about 20 years ago at a show, it was dark blue in colour from memory

That's about 10 years on from the article I read.

Fair chance that this car still exists so.

They're so unusual, & in some ways so unfashionable.

They were devised in Germany as a way to get out of local taxes, hence the small engine.

Basically, they were 1 step up from a Bubble Car.

Went to look at the car this morning,was expecting the worst,but was surprised to find it was very solid,as it has been left outside since it was resprayed a few years back,there is very little corrosion apart from the offside lower door/sill,but it's only on the surface,easy fix.
    the engine and box,interior is in the shed but will need attention,and everything is there for it.
    pics as promised.

lloydalexander016.jpg
    lloydalexander011.jpg
    lloydalexander009.jpg
    lloydalexander018.jpg

Out of interest, did you find out what the registration for this car is?

Out of interest, did you find out what the registration for this car is?
    i think its xji...

salysol wrote: »
    i think its xji...

JI would be a Tyrone registration?

• Advertisement

JI would be a Tyrone registration?
    i'm not sure,but will know more next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

lloydalexander018.jpg

not the prettiest car in the world but if its rwd you could fit a nice F20 engine from an S2000 and make a very odd drift car out of it .it would look interesting going sideways at 100mph

bbsrs wrote: »
    not the prettiest car in the world but if its rwd you could fit a nice F20 engine from an S2000 and make a very odd drift car out of it .it would look interesting going sideways at 100mph
    20 years ago i might have agreed with you,but as it's an extremely rare car it would be a pity to cannibalize it.
    And it's front wheel drive.
    The car will be restored to original spec,provided i can source the parts needed.

Lol, that's a bonkers idea! It would be some sport trying to hold onto that sideways at 100mph!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I had a Lloyd Alexender in 1962, it was belong to a doctor in Tramore. I THINK the Reg No. was KI 9088. They were quite noisy. I think they were a 2or3 cylinder 4 stroke. I also think they were from the same stable as the Bogward. They were a fun car at the time I had it. I sold it to a man in Co. Kilkenny. I suppose it is R.I.P. many years ago. I did not know of any others at that time, or since.

mattroche wrote: »
    I had a Lloyd Alexender in 1962, it was belong to a doctor in Tramore. I THINK the Reg No. was KI 9088. They were quite noisy. I think they were a 2or3 cylinder 4 stroke. I also think they were from the same stable as the Bogward. They were a fun car at the time I had it. I sold it to a man in Co. Kilkenny. I suppose it is R.I.P. many years ago. I did not know of any others at that time, or since.
    Yes i think you are right the Borgward/lloyd were linked,just checked the reg and there is no record of it,so a good chance it's history or sitting in a shed.

Mental looking machine. The diversity of classic car enthusiasts is a joy to behold.

Mental looking machine. The diversity of classic car enthusiasts is a joy to behold.
    I wonder if it would be possible to put in a diesel engine to make it more economical

• Advertisement

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be possible to put in a diesel engine to make it more economical

Now that you mention it ,a 3 cyl daihatsu charade 1.0 turbo diesel would be ideal for it :D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement