Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty tegral slates

• 07-03-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thomasthomas19

hello all
    my slates have been curling up and fading, tegral rep was out couple of days ago, and said no high up roof vents and holes on sofia vents were small and could get blocked easy and this is normal in exposed areas,

fading caused by top layer of spray on slate not on right , the sprayer jet must have been blocked.

he said slates are structurally sound and he would do report on it
    but thinks they will just repaint south facing side

anyone else have this problem and anyone have there roof painted is it a good job

thanks for any advice tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    First thing to do is;
    Find your Invoice from your supplier.Keep safe. Any correspondance you will be getting will be through the supplier you bought the slates off. Get photos of slates Keep safe. You have a good fight on your hands ?. You bought a product that is defective and so you should have whole roof ( Slates) replaced with no cost to yourself. Wait for the report first and see what it consists off. See if rep reported the problem correctly. As the product was new, I would not have slates re sprayed (easy way out for tegral) Write a letter to your supplier and tegral letting them know what your situation is. (Keep copy Safe )
    Nw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

COLOUR GUARANTEE
    Tegral Building Products Ltd guarantee the Thrutone
    colourisation system for a period of 20 years. The
    slates will be affected by weather as described
    below and will take on a more matt appearance
    over time. However, when the roof is viewed from
    a reasonable distance, the slates will continue to
    show their generic colour appearance. If
    ThrutonePlus or Rivendale slates fail to give their
    generic colour appearance within the 20-year period,
    then an on-site treatment to the affected area(s)
    will be applied free of charge.
    This guarantee does not affect consumers' statutory
    rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thomasthomas19

have the receipt, i have photo,s taken of roof my self, rep told me to email them to tegral myself so i,m gonna do that and see what they say ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I remember this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055929481 thread from a good few months ago. Very similar situation it appears. Don't know the final outcome though..

thats exactly the same problem as i have ,,
    my roof looked real bad in warm day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My experience with Tegral was not a good one. My story in summary:

Large single story bungalow 2,700sq ft. Whole roof done in Tegral trutone black slate in early 2007. By mid 2009, about a fifth of the slates on the front elevation of the house were curling up at the edges quite noticeably but the rest of the slates were fine. I called Tegral and they sent a nice pleasant guy out who gutted and made soothing noises about how noticeable it was. I lent him my ladder so he could get up to roof level for a closer look. He said he'd report back to his boss straight away. Just before he left, he asked if I had the receipt for the slates. I said my builder had sourced them but I was on site when they were delivered on pallets wrapped in clingfilm with Tegral plastered all over them. He said ok and left.

The next week I received a letter from Tegral stating that their rep didn't believe they were Tegral slates. If I wanted to pursue this claim, I had to take a half dozen slates off the roof and send them to Tegral for testing.

Now I'd swear to it that they are Tegral slates but I'm not taking slates off (and exposing the roof to the elements) to get them tested by an organization in who's interest it would be to say that they are not Tegral slates. They are hardly impartial in this. As for their rep, I think he was sharper than I gave him credit for because when he threw the question at me about did I have the receipt (as he was leaving), he then knew he had gotten what he wanted to put the burden of proof onto me.

The current position is that at least 60% of the slates on the front elevation of the house (south facing) are curled up at the edges. Where I should have a smooth flat slate roof, I have what looks like a black pond with ripples running through it that is very noticeable from the road 20 metres away. Funnily enough, the rest of the roof appears to be ok with the exception of the odd slate here or there. Would the heat from the sun on the south facing slates have caused them to curl???

I have been contacted by other Boardsies the past few years who have had similar issues with Tegral slates so it's a widespread problem. On my own road, there are four houses built over the past 2 - 6 years that have warped Tegral slates.

My relationship with my builder was not a good one as some might recall and so even if he's stl in business, I couldn't get the receipt for the slates. However like I said, I was there the day they were delivered and I know they are Tegral slates. I just dont have the money to tear slates off my roof, get them independently tested, and reinstate the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

My experience with Tegral was not a good one. My story in summary:

Large single story bungalow 2,700sq ft. Whole roof done in Tegral trutone black slate in early 2007. By mid 2009, about a fifth of the slates on the front elevation of the house were curling up at the edges quite noticeably but the rest of the slates were fine. I called Tegral and they sent a nice pleasant guy out who gutted and made soothing noises about how noticeable it was. I lent him my ladder so he could get up to roof level for a closer look. He said he'd report back to his boss straight away. Just before he left, he asked if I had the receipt for the slates. I said my builder had sourced them but I was on site when they were delivered on pallets wrapped in clingfilm with Tegral plastered all over them. He said ok and left.

The next week I received a letter from Tegral stating that their rep didn't believe they were Tegral slates. If I wanted to pursue this claim, I had to take a half dozen slates off the roof and send them to Tegral for testing.

Now I'd swear to it that they are Tegral slates but I'm not taking slates off (and exposing the roof to the elements) to get them tested by an organization in who's interest it would be to say that they are not Tegral slates. They are hardly impartial in this. As for their rep, I think he was sharper than I gave him credit for because when he threw the question at me about did I have the receipt (as he was leaving), he then knew he had gotten what he wanted to put the burden of proof onto me.

The current position is that at least 60% of the slates on the front elevation of the house (south facing) are curled up at the edges. Where I should have a smooth flat slate roof, I have what looks like a black pond with ripples running through it that is very noticeable from the road 20 metres away. Funnily enough, the rest of the roof appears to be ok with the exception of the odd slate here or there. Would the heat from the sun on the south facing slates have caused them to curl???

I have been contacted by other Boardsies the past few years who have had similar issues with Tegral slates so it's a widespread problem. On my own road, there are four houses built over the past 2 - 6 years that have warped Tegral slates.

My relationship with my builder was not a good one as some might recall and so even if he's stl in business, I couldn't get the receipt for the slates. However like I said, I was there the day they were delivered and I know they are Tegral slates. I just dont have the money to tear slates off my roof, get them independently tested, and reinstate the roof.

Dave, could you get a roofer, to take a few slates off and replace..send them on then. It seems to be rampant, and it was one of the main reasons i didnt go with them. Sorry to go off topic. OP, keep all paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

are all theses issues from a single batch/few batches - or is this still and issue with products today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bjkyoung

My experience with Tegral has been terrible, my house was built in 2003/2004 and the roof was slated with Tegral Slates in November, 2003. All of the slates on the front and on one of the sides of the house have curled up (this warping started to become noticeable in 2007 and has become worse over the past five years), this is happening on the elevations which get the most sunlight and heat during the day, the slates on the other two elevations are not warping. There are also many slates which are now starting to lift up from the roof. The roof is now dreadfully unsightly and looks in very poor shape and I am very unhappy with it. I have been in contact with Tegral several times over the past four years in relation to this and have e-mailed and sent them numerous photos of the roof etc. I first made contact with Tegral in relation to the problem in early 2008 and a Tegral rep came to visit and persuaded me that the slates were in good shape and that it would not be a good idea to re-slate such a new house. The problem became progressivley worse over the next few years and I contacted Tegral again in June 2011 and made numerous requests over the next few months for a Tegral rep to come and look at the house. A Tegral rep finally came to look at the roof last November (this visit took five months to organise), he took numerous photos of the roof and I received a letter from Tegral a few weeks later saying that this 'flexing' was perfectly normal and that my roof was sound etc. I am so sorry that I put Tegral slates on my roof and certainly would have avoided their product had I known I would have a roof with warped and lifting slates within just a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

Every quote I recently got for my build all had Tegral slates listed as what they would supply. Are they much cheaper that other companies? Or is there just no decent alternative? (Excluding natural slate obviously!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bjkyoung

I'm not sure, I know when I was getting quotes for my house the different builders I approached for quotes were using Tegral slates as standard. I don't know about the alternatives but If I was building again I would use natural slate. I certainly did not expect my Tegral slates to starting warping and curling up within 4 years!!! and there was no warning that this might happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Eoghan Barra

Was talking to a roofer just the other day who told me that curling up at the edges is an inherent characteristic of Tegral slates, and that it's caused by heat. He said if you go out early in the morning and look up at them you'll see they've all gone flat again.

Another problem with these is apparently that if the backs of the slates get wet before they're fixed, they stain the others lower down. Seemingly they're treated with some substance on the back to stop them sticking to the ones underneath - this stuff can wash off and make a big mess if it gets wet.

Natural slate has none of these problems, the colour never fades, is a small bit dearer in the scheme of things but lasts much, much longer, looks way better, and adds value to your house. Still need convincing, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

How much is a small bit dearer for natural slate though?

How much is a small bit dearer for natural slate though?

Wouldn't say it's much when you take into account the amount that will be spent on labour and other roofing materials, though obviously you want to make sure you get good value (and quality) slate. I paid 1.14 each (incl. vat) for very good 50 x 25 cm Spanish slate. Not sure exactly how much Tegral are but don't think there's a big difference.

got a reply from tegral.

they say slates are structurally sound,
    and we note your your concerns about some flexing and this has no implications on the structural performance.

and as a gesture of goodwill we will carry out a blue black colourisation treatment of your roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭davymc31

i worked on job where tegral replaced all the slates on job due to curling

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I may not have the dates 100% here, but we built our house during 04/05. I know the roof was finished just before Christmas 04 as we had to pay the lads doing it Christmas week.

We had the tegral Blue/black slates with the red ridge tiles. The slates on the front of the house all starting lifting/curling and the ridge tiles were faded and shrank. This was during early 2009.

As we had built direct labour and know our builder providers very well, this was our first port of call. They contacted Tegral and someone was to contact us. Weeks went by and we heard nothing so back to the builder providers, they rang the rep again in front of me and he was to contact me. Another week went by,still no contact, back into the builder providers. You get the idea.

Eventually he rang me, and as I am of the female gender, I haven't a clue what I was talking about ;) He insisted on the phone that I didn't have tegral on my roof, bear in mind he hadn't even been out to the house yet. A lot of people complain I was told but tegral never curl/wrap/shrink/discolour etc. He spoke to me like I was a piece of dirt on the phone, is the only way to discribe it but once he finished telling me how wrong I was, I was able to give him the batch number of the slates used. (we had some left over in the shed)

Different story then, as we were able to prove that they were tegral he called out a few weeks later and did an assessment. I remember we did get an independent engineers assessment done, cost €200 I think, this came back to say that they were structuraly ok, astheticaly there was an issue. We weren't asked to do this but we wanted to have it to argue with them in case there was an issue.

We wrote numerous e mails and letters to tegral and eventually they said that they would replace the defect tiles and ridge tiles. We had to get a quote and they sent out someone aswell to give a second quote.

In the end they sent us a cheque for the amount of our quote and we had to arrange with the builder providers to send out the tiles when the lads were ready to do it.

I would advise to stay ringing and emailing tegral as they do give a 20 year colour guarantee. Be prepared to be treated as if you are stupid but we did get ours replaced and so far we are happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

sorry for bumping up an old tread. im having the same trouble with tegral. alot of slates cupping but mainly its the color thats my problem , at close inspection the coating is coming off. my roof looks terrible from a distance. im being fobbed off with over 12 months. and now they say they will re-coat my old slates. anyone get this done. i would love to see a roof thats being done for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I have sent a letter of complaint, photographs and a copy of the sales docket to
    Tegral about this fault.

I received a reply this morning - I am totally dissatisfied and will now be following up until my roof is sorted. I have spent too much money on my roof to let this go. What is happening to the structure of the slates that are flexing daily?

Looking around the country at slated roofs this flexing is widespread - anyone aware of slates from other suppliers having this fault.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

hoody wrote: »
    I have sent a letter of complaint, photographs and a copy of the sales docket to
    Tegral about this fault.

I received a reply this morning - I am totally dissatisfied and will now be following up until my roof is sorted. I have spent too much money on my roof to let this go. What is happening to the structure of the slates that are flexing daily?

Looking around the country at slated roofs this flexing is widespread - anyone aware of slates from other suppliers having this fault.

Who did you send it to and why are you not satisfied? Did they assess the roof for you?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't say it's much when you take into account the amount that will be spent on labour and other roofing materials, though obviously you want to make sure you get good value (and quality) slate. I paid 1.14 each (incl. vat) for very good 50 x 25 cm Spanish slate. Not sure exactly how much Tegral are but don't think there's a big difference.

its not just the cost per slate. you also use a lot more natural slates, so the overall cost is more as your using a larger quantity., and the labour involved to grade them is more. i was being quoted 500 euro more per labour on 4 quotes between natural and fiber cement. the fibre cement slates are 600 X 300 I think. This issue with the fiber cement slates is not happening for every other supplier i believe.

Natural slate has none of these problems, the colour never fades, is a small bit dearer in the scheme of things but lasts much, much longer, looks way better, and adds value to your house. Still need convincing, anyone?

Can't see that I've much to add to this, apart from the fact that, in general, natural materials like slate improve aesthetically the longer they're exposed to the elements, i.e. they weather in. In general, artificial materials do the exact opposite, becoming shoddier looking the longer they are there.

But it's up to you.

Can't see that I've much to add to this, apart from the fact that, in general, natural materials like slate improve aesthetically the longer they're exposed to the elements, i.e. they weather in. In general, artificial materials do the exact opposite, becoming shoddier looking the longer they are there.

But it's up to you.

Just clarifications on the cost. Agree on the end product totally.

tred wrote: »
    Just clarifications on the cost. Agree on the end product totally.

Fair enough, though the longevity of the product, and the need - or lack of it - for further remedial work at intervals down the line should be factored into the real cost, not just the initial outlay.

When you're buying anything you always have to try and find a balance between quality and cost; but with roof slates they're only one component (very roughly about 1/3 of the cost of the roof materials (?), never mind labour) of the overall expense involved.

Mind you, if you're a roofer and want to give the lowest quote to get the job and then just get in and out... the cheap and easy option is obviously going to be more attractive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Any updates on this hoody?

I sent email with pictures and copies of receipts on 23rd of June, these were acknowledged.
    I emailed a week later to ask the process and was told that an assessor would be out.
    4 emails since and no reply to any of them.

I will give them 1 more week and then will issue a legal letter to them and see if that wakes them up.

Finally got an answer, well a reply more than answer as no idea when I will get assessor out.
    Will be back onto them next week.

Ok so no response to this "Date for assessor". Final email sent today, have spoke to the solicitor so will be setting up a case on this now.
    Anyone else have any update on their situation? Almost 5 weeks now for me and no satisfaction

just got mine fully reslated by tegral, two and half years after first getting on to them about my slates.
    two months before tegral sent anyone out to look at mine .

just got mine fully reslated by tegral, two and half years after first getting on to them about my slates.
    two months before tegral sent anyone out to look at mine .

Thanks for that. Why did it take 2.5 years? What happened after they sent someone out?

• Advertisement

after they sent someone out, he had to go and do up a report on it . and after another few months they got back to me with report

that i had no vents on top of roof
    vents in facia were to smalll
    that the slates were still fit for purpose
    but as a good will guesture they would spray them again

to which i said , no thank you .so they sent out another man to look at them he took photos of roof and would do up a report again.

they wrote back for me to get prices to slate the roof and i did and they would pay for job which i did and agreed price with them
    this was last september , but i live in very expose area so i was waiting til this summer to change slates , i told them this and they said ok

but back in may they rang me to say would i mind if they got there own man to change the slates . i said ok no bother.

there man done everything and i have to say done a great job ,

ps. i never said anything to them about going down the legal route

Advertisement