Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=19536

The trekking trousers, socks, and fleece might be worth a punt. Handy lightweight, easy to dry clothing, along with other proper layers will keep the sweat heading out and the warmth in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

johngalway wrote: »
    http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=19536

The trekking trousers, socks, and fleece might be worth a punt. Handy lightweight, easy to dry clothing, along with other proper layers will keep the sweat heading out and the warmth in.

I take it back, they're crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

eeee lad you can't beat a good 100% cotton string vest.

Versatility at its best, in a survival situtation can double as fishing net :D

image%25255B11%25255D.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Or a hammock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Or as illustrated above, a bear trap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

A ''best friend'' companion with plenty of meat on his bones can be handy in a survival situation when food runs low ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

can anyone advise on the best type of knots for the head handkerchief? can't find anything similar in sas manual or Mears

bonniebede wrote: »
    can anyone advise on the best type of knots for the head handkerchief? can't find anything similar in sas manual or Mears

It's lined with tin foil to guard against alien Psi-attacks which are most likely to occur while humans are infighting and distracted from the threat posed by Outer Space.

Moving on from beached whales... if you keep an eye on both Lidl and Aldi you get the odd further reductions on things that haven't sold out.

I picked up a very lightweight waterproof nylon cycling cape for about 8euro (previously 10) and gave it a try in the awlful rain and hail we had today. I can report its quite a handy item for the bob. I was out with the dog and a small rucksac when it poured it down and the cape went over the pack and kept me and it dry. Being a cape there are no arms on it but that could be handy as you could throw a blanket over your shoulders and with the waterproof cape over the top be well wrapped up in very bad conditions, at a push you could sleep out rough in it. It won't last for ever but as an emergency or occasional use item it should last quite well. Its drying in the hall now but when totally dry I'll fold it back up into its own single front pocket which makes nice small tidy package and return it to the dog walking rucksac. Obviously not a replacement for wearing the right clothes but still a handy item that is quite versitile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

You'll have to come down here I met a few of my farming neighbours wearing them last week!!! They might give you lessons!!!:)

• Advertisement

I don't think I would be comfortable about safety on Irish roads with a child in the back of one of those. But as a place to pack supplies yeah I guess it could be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

psychward wrote: »
    I don't think I would be comfortable about safety on Irish roads with a child in the back of one of those. But as a place to pack supplies yeah I guess it could be good.

just what i was thinking;)

of course, if one was really bugging out there would be either nothing on the road, or so much on the road that the prefered route would be overland, undercover, on foot.

Or perhaps around the coast in a small boat of some sort.

Bug out boats anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Bug out boats anyone?
    I'm fast running out of excuses not to buy this baby to be honest.

124SMBK_MO.jpg

On sale at the moment for the price of a medium range laptop (excl delivery and customs duty), three quarters of a ton capacity (more than enough for a full semi-butchered cow or a full base camp), man portable even with engine, although you'd be better off with two people to be honest unless you don't plan on carrying anything else, 15 minutes to inflate and assemble, any waterway becomes a getaway. Couple that with a decent sized solar panel or just use the oars and you have a very serviceable fishing platform, ferry, and general foraging boat. It can handle ocean chop, but probably best kept on inland lakes and islands, of which we have many.

Nice boat but I think I'd want to pay the extra and get a "rubber" dinghy as rather than a plastic one - but probably just good old fashioned predudice on my part. The down side of a "rubber" dinghy is the size and weight as it would be massively heavier and larger than the pics of the one in your link.

btw that design of canoe/kayak is good our neighbors who spend a couple of weeks on holiday here each year have one very similar (about 10 years old and rubber not plastic) and just about feed themsleves for the fortnight by fishing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It probably wasn't natural rubber so, since that only has a five year shelf life. Even butyl rubber only lasts fifteen, so tell them to make the most of it! These other guys however are claiming twenty years with no upper limit on their site. They can do a lot with plastic compounds these days.

Besides the weight and other advantages, it folds away into a sack, so when you get to where you're going, deflate and shove it under a bush or some debris if you're looking for an ultra small footprint, which to me is a selling point.

LOL just browsing some other forums and threads here and got this google add

wonder why :rolleyes:

if you can time ordering the boat 180 days before the collapse of western civilization, then you can maximise benefits of the 180 day free trial :pac: unless they send max max type debt collectors after you but I 'd say you can become invisible in all the chaos lol

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Onanon

Aldi are selling hexamine stoves with hex tabs for €4. They've a 1l camping kettle for €4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Onanon wrote: »
    Aldi are selling hexamine stoves with hex tabs for €4. They've a 1l camping kettle for €4.
    Today??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Onanon

Been in our local for since last sunday. The 8 pack of hex tabs is €2.

The multitools they had are getting discounted to €5. Got a few for the apartment/trade. They're grand.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tabnabs wrote: »

Nice case and useful items but just on price and contents compare with the Lidl and Aldi Car kits for around 8euro #21 anything you are missing in the cheaper kits can easliy be added not there is a huge a mount of spare room but you can always compress it a bit more.

Compare....

Care Plus Contents: (€24.95?)
    12x Assorted dressings
    4x Alcohol Free Wipes
    2x Non-adherent dressings 5 x 5cm
    2x Burns kompresses
    2x Vinyl gloves (1 pair)
    2x Medium Wound Plaster
    1x triangular cloth
    1x stretch bandage 5cm x 4.5 m
    1x Care Plus First Aid Guide
    1x Tweezers
    12x Safety Pins
    1x Microporous Tape 1.25 cm x 5m
    1x Stainless Steel Scissors
    1x No.16 Eye Pad
    5x Sterile Compress

Aldi Car first aid kit Contents: (€7.99)
    1 Adhesive tape DIN13019-A 5m x 2.5. cm
    1 Adhesive Bandage, elastic DIN 13019-E 10 x 6 cm, 8 pieces
    1 First Aid package DIN 13151-G, elastic (Sterile Dressing role)
    3 First Aid packages DIN 13151-M, elastic (Sterile Dressing role)
    1 First Aid Dressing DIN 13152 A, 60 x 80cm (Burn Dressing)
    2 First Aid Dressing DIN 13152 BR, 40 x 60cm (Burn Dressing)
    2 Elastic Bandages DIN 61634 FB 6 (For holding Wound Dressings in place)
    3 Elastic Bandages DIN 61634 FB 8 (For holding Wound Dressings in place)
    3 Wound compresses 1 x 2 pieces 10 x 10 cm
    2 Trianguar Bandages DIN 13168-D
    1 Emergency blanket 160 x 210 cm
    1 Scissors Din 58279-A 145
    1 Disposable Gloves EN 455, size L, 4 pieces
    1 First Aid leaflet
    1 Contents list, user instructions

Couple to report this week nothing really new and probably not awailable in every Lidl or Aldi.

First off is Lidl in Dungarvan where they had Fleece Blankets for picnics, camping and holidays in the bargin bin for a fiver. I bought one a while back and highly recommened them. My wife who has been ill recently has been using one when she has had to sleep sitting up and found it very warm and she likes the fact they are really light. Size is 140cm x 200cm and they come in a usable draw string bag. Only seen two colours a powery blue or a nice browny green.

Aldi Waterford just off the Cork Rd still had loads of the Hexy Stoves and spare tablets no extra reductions in price but worth noting the extra fuel was the square tablets, not a big deal but I find one square tablet more useful than 2 or 3 round ones - probably just me :rolleyes:

Finally noticed same Waterford Aldi had the green car first aid kit I quoted the contents of in my last post price is still €7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Lidls have a Travel First Aid kit next Monday

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20554.htm

Looks a suitable starter for a personal first aid kit.

Includes: wound dressings, gauze bandage, 2 fixators, plaster coil, rubber gloves, 3 alcohol swabs, first aid dressing, 5 plaster strips, safety needles, first aid instructions in 14 languages

Don't think you can go wrong for €3.99

Also 10l Fuel can http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20539.htm for €6.99 looks good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Lidl also have pmr446 radios for €34.99
    Aldi have bike bags for a carrier €14.99

grapeape wrote: »
    Lidl also have pmr446 radios for €34.99
    Aldi have bike bags for a carrier €14.99

Anyone any experience with those particular "walki talkies"?

Like how good are they if you get out of direct line of site and range?

Bought some of sleeping bags in Lidl today (this weeks Mondays offer). If you are buying them take note there are 2 sizes and they are "handed" so 4 different types in all. A left and right handed of the same size will zip together to make a double sleeping bag. All that info is on the bag so no reason to get the wrong ones.

The sleeping bags from Lidl were €14.95 btw, checked them at home and they'll do fine for adding to the BOBs, they are summer season only but with some extra cloths on or a light weight Fleece Blanket they'd do for anything above zero. I have a winter down sleeping bag but don't like to leave that stuffed in its bag all the time so its left not 100% ready in a bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I'd presume they are uhf (446mhz) and pants once out of line of sight, but I've not tried those particular ones

• Advertisement

mawk wrote: »
    I'd presume they are uhf (446mhz) and pants once out of line of sight, but I've not tried those particular ones

Thats what I'd have guessed, I live near the very bottom of a valley and main use would be calling base (home) while out walking the dogs withing 200 yards of the house in any direction you are out of site of the house so don't think they would be any use for my application.

Advertisement