Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

13 year old kid Stops school bus after driver has heart attack/seizure

• 11-04-2012 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

7th-grader stops school bus after driver has heart attack,Police say a student did a great job when he managed to stop a school bus after the driver had a heart attack Monday morning.
    Fife School District Assistant Superintendent Jeff Short said the bus was on its way to Surprise Lake Middle School when the substitute driver became incapacitated.

Seventh-grader Jeremy Wuitschick was on the bus and said the driver let go of the wheel and started flailing his arms.

"I knew something was wrong," he said.Wuitschick said he got up and grabbed the wheel, turned the bus toward the side of the road and turned off the ignition.

"It was pretty scary," Wuitschick said. "It was all happening really quickly."

The bus came to a stop outside of Discovery Pimary School, which is next to Surprise Lake Middle School.
    John McCrossin, director of student programs for the Fife School District, was driving behind the bus when he noticed the bus veer off to the side of the road.

He ran onto the bus after it stopped and found the driver unconscious and not breathing. The kids told McCrossin they already called 911, so he began performing CPR on the driver until police and medics arrived.
    The driver was taken to a hospital, but his current condition was not known.

Fife Police Chief Brad Blackburn said no one else was hurt thanks to the students who brought the bus to a safe stop.

Fair play to him, i think if that was over here the kids wouldnt even notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

im pretty sure regardless of what country it was some kid would try to help like that kid did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

He steered it a bit then when it was still moving he turned around and started thumping the driver

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Chet T16 wrote: »
    He steered it a bit then when it was still moving he turned around and started thumping the driver

It looks more like he was attempting CPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

I think kids here would notice and call for help etc but not all would be clued in with regards CPR.
    That said, it was a few kids who copped on to it, there'd hopefully be a few kids on a school bus here who'd have a rough idea.
    Canadian cardiac deaths have dramatically decreased due to kids being taught basic CPR from a young age meaning much more people now know what to do.

If you don't know it, learn it. It takes 3 hours basic course tops, or a clued in friend to give you pointers. Or t'internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

CMpunked wrote: »

Fair play to him, i think if that was over here the kids wouldnt even notice.

Fair play to the kid. Bit of a ridiculous statement though.

• Advertisement

Fair play to the kid. Bit of a ridiculous statement though.

Which bit?
    The first i mean that well done to the kid for being a hero and in the second i make reference to a relative who is a bus driver and he says the kids he drives about have no respect or cop to do anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Which bit?
    The first i mean that well done to the kid for being a hero and in the second i make reference to a relative who is a bus driver and he says the kids he drives about have no respect or cop to do anything like that.

That's a very small sample size that you're drawing that conclusion from. By the same token most of the kids I've encountered at that age are pretty aware. Adults often don't give children the credit they deserve when it comes to being clued into things.

If an ordinary bus load of kids were put in that situation I would be certain that one of them would have stepped in to help. They may not be able to stop the bus, but they would certainly attempt to do some good.

That's a very small sample size that you're drawing that conclusion from.
    Maybe it is, but im just drawing from his sentiments and views on "kids these days".

But of course i would expect that had something like that happen here, to my uncle for example, that the kids would do something rather than just sit and watch the bus head for a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Maybe it is, but im just drawing from his sentiments and views on "kids these days".

But of course i would expect that had something like that happen here, to my uncle for example, that the kids would do something rather than just sit and watch the bus head for a wall.

I think that the context and setting from which your experiences are derived from has a huge part to play. I was helping out in classes for a few months. The kids in their were genuinely as nice as you'd find. There were only 5/6 troublesome children that I met in my whole time there, and I would have seen an easy 100 children of that age.

When they get on the bus it's at the end of a long day in school and they can't wait to get home. All their friends are there and it;s only natural that they'll get up to some divilment. I'm not condoning their behaviour but I reckon if your uncle saw them same children in school he wouldn't believe the difference.

Them few months in the school opened my eyes so much. The children in 6th class were looking after their cousins/neighbours/siblings in junior infants and making sure that they weren't being bullied or being left out of games.

There are two sides to every story. When you work with children in a certain setting you realise that 99% of them are kind-hearted and don't want to harm anyone else. Unfortunately, the school bus isn't really one of those settings.

I think your uncle is safe for the time being but I'd recommend that he gets a check-up just in case the kids aren't as golden as I think they might be :p.

Advertisement