Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buynewspecs site redesign launched

• 05-04-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody, I have just had my site redesigned to make to make it more SEO friendly.

It's www.buynewspecs.ie

What do ye think?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

A non professional view here but I really like it. Looks great.

Being critical I'd say the logo is weak (in my opinion).
    I'd probably also emphasise the fact that you're Irish a bit more.

But great job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

"Buynewspecs is an Irish owned company with a worldwide delivery who offer you the same high quality prescription prescription glasses and sunglasses you can get in your local Opticians but at a fraction of the price.

Buynewspecs is the brainchild of a busy family run Optical practice in Co. Meath, Ireland. Our experience since opening has taught us that customer care and a quality product leads to many satisfied customers. With buynewspecs, we offer you the same attention to customer care and quality that has made our 'bricks and mortar' business a success.

You can be confident with your purchase from Buynewspecs. Our frames and lenses are sourced from the same suppliers as regular high street shops, but by buying in bulk, we can achieve greater discounts which are then passed to you. We use state of the art machinery operated by our professional glazing team to ensure your glasses comply to the highest standards of quality and workmanship as set out by the Optical Council.

We want you to be totally satisfied with the goods you buy from our site. If you are not, you may return them within 14 days to us for adjustment, replacement or for refund.

Your payments are secure. We use a worldwide industry established credit card handling company called Realex. Or you can use PAYPAL as an alternative method of payment.

We are more than happy to help. Our friendly and professional customer support team is available to answer any questions you may have. Please visit our contact us page with any queries or questions.
    "

Sorry to rain on the parade guys, but the English is execrable. This is almost as bad as some of the worst Lagos scam-mails I've seen, and reads as if written by someone who doesn't have English as even a second or third language.. If you want to project a professional image, please get a professional copy-writer to do a major rewrite, refraining from the apparent need to fit as many superlatives as possible into a small space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Red text on dark grey isn't a good colour combination for many people with sight issues. There are also contrast/grey on grey/light grey text/washed out colour problems elsewhere. As a professional in the eyesight game, I'm a bit surprised at that.

Too many of your best keywords and phrases are in graphics when they should be treated as heading text.

Spelling mistakes. Proofread your site again for spelling, grammar and punctuation and consider getting someone else to do so too.

Where's your legal stuff: privacy policy, terms, RBN, etc..

Better to have filenames for pages in lower case.

Some of the shopping cart components could do with tweaking for better conversion.

You are selling what is also very much a fashion item yet only have people actually wearing glasses on the homepage. Edit: Spotted a few more on a small number of pages. Nevertheless I would have more of them.

If I were buying glasses, what I'd really like is some function to upload a photo of a my face and superimpose the glasses onto them.

I'd have the brand logos in colour in the strip above the footer.

mathepac has a point on the superlatives and their negative impact on your credibility. The 2nd question in your FAQ 'How can your prices be so low?' instantly sounded less than credible and a simple search revealed prices considerably cheaper. Beware of overhyping yourself lest it backfires, as it did just there.

No feedback/testimonials from happy customers.

No social media usage.

The marketing of you newsletter is lacking on a few fronts: archive, privacy etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Oh boy tough crowd tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

endplate wrote: »
    Oh boy tough crowd tonight

It probably would have been easier for everyone if you included in your OP that you were just looking for praise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Cianos wrote: »
    It probably would have been easier for everyone if you included in your OP that you were just looking for praise.

Yup, give valuable time and experience for free and that's the best response the OP can give without a thanks in sight. Most people would be delighted to get that. This forum drives me to despair sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Take it easy lads. I do appreciate the advise maybe if I put in a smiley:D like so in my earlier comment would that help the sensivity high alert levels?

I have got a lot of food for thought from the comments and it has sparked a few new ideas with me so thanks for the help. If ye don't mind when I have a few updates done I'll come back to this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

tricky D wrote: »
    Yup, give valuable time and experience for free and that's the best response the OP can give without a thanks in sight. ...
    Well OP said, amongst other things ...
    endplate wrote: »
    ... Thanks in advance

You're welcome and I'll be glad to review the next revision.

Advertisement