Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iMessage for Dummies -an organic guide.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

krudler wrote: »
    hmm, I'm in Spain at the mo, updated to 5.1 today and now it wont activate my imessage with my apple id, same one i've been using the whole time, have wifi on and briefly turned on 3g and roaming data with wifi off just to see if the text turned blue but it doesnt, tried on different roaming networks as well and did a network reset, it should work while roaming right?

I'm having a similar problem. Updated to 5.1 and since then texts not always sending/recieved. Keep getting pop up below and iMessage texts being recieved under my email address not number!

AoBhA-TCIAMWIa3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Hey I have a 3gs its jailbroken and Unlocked on the ipad baseband 06.15.00 iMessage is not working I dont know weather my mates can send me imessage or not but I cant send them it just says not delivered eveytime I try send a message. When I go into iMessage settings where it says Received At : its just my email address and its not my phone number and it wont give me the option to input my phone number but I dont know weather or not thats to do with not being able to send iMessages. Any help much appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Today I got my first ever Apple device,was just wondering if they are any apps to create a PDF file ? Also I would kindly ask about a way to transfer some files via Wifi from a laptop to iPad 3. Any help much apprecciated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Can anyone confirm for me whether this is correct because I think I have my head around it now. Let's say we're talking about a wifi iPad and an iPhone. When I send an iMessage to your email, it hits both your iPad and the iPhone but for some reason iMessage won't combine conversations made with texts to the email and phone.. It splits them. So your phone receives it but thinks hey, this is sent to the email so puts it into the separate conversation. It's an odd flaw in the design it seems. Have I got that right??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Jarren wrote: »
    Today I got my first ever Apple device,was just wondering if they are any apps to create a PDF file ? Also I would kindly ask about a way to transfer some files via Wifi from a laptop to iPad 3. Any help much apprecciated.:)

This is not the correct thread to ask this in; refer to the main section of this forum.

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm for me whether this is correct because I think I have my head around it now. Let's say we're talking about a wifi iPad and an iPhone. When I send an iMessage to your email, it hits both your iPad and the iPhone but for some reason iMessage won't combine conversations made with texts to the email and phone.. It splits them. So your phone receives it but thinks hey, this is sent to the email so puts it into the separate conversation. It's an odd flaw in the design it seems. Have I got that right??

Am not sure I can get my head round what exactly you're asking but, to recap: all iOS devices can have an email address (or several) as an iMessage ID but only iPhone can have both an email address (or several) and the SIM's phone number as multiple iMessage IDs.

If your correspondent has more than one device and uses the same email address on those devices, then your conversation will go to both devices. If you send to a mixture of the email address and the phone's number, then the conversations will appear in separate threads, which is totally normal.

It has been your decision to use separate IDs and your decision alone. This is not a design flaw, but a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

culabula wrote: »
    It has been your decision to use separate IDs and your decision alone. This is not a design flaw, but a choice.

Thanks for your reply. My point is that say my friend Bill has an iPad and an iPhone. If he texts me from the iPad and I haven't added his email to my contacts, I see his email address pop up in the conversation header. I add that to my contacts under Bill. I now have his number and email under his name in contacts. Depending on the device he texts me on, the texts are channelled into two separate conversations with Bill at the top. Should I mistakenly reply at a later date to the one that was sent from his iPad, and he or I is out of wifi or 3G, will that message be delivered given that it can't fall back to sending as an SMS instead?

Also my idea of the flaw may be my viewpoint on it but if Bill regularly texts me from the 2 devices, I have no choice but to see those funnelled into 2 separate conversations. I'd like to see iMessages carry on in the same conversation under 'Bill' if I have added the email and phone number to Bill's contact. I don't see the need for the 2 conversations with Bill on top.. One for messages he sent via iPad and one from the phone. I understand I think that if Bill set his phone to send primarily from the imessage email that issue should iron out but then people less up to speed on iMessage would receive initial iMessages from him under his email and may not know to add that address to his contact name in order to see the messages come in under a simple name.

Sorry if that's clear as mud, I'm still getting my head around it and appreciate you taking the time to read over it!

Trotter wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. My point is that say my friend Bill has an iPad and an iPhone. If he texts me from the iPad and I haven't added his email to my contacts, I see his email address pop up in the conversation header. I add that to my contacts under Bill. I now have his number and email under his name in contacts. Depending on the device he texts me on, the texts are channelled into two separate conversations with Bill at the top. Should I mistakenly reply at a later date to the one that was sent from his iPad, and he or I is out of wifi or 3G, will that message be delivered given that it can't fall back to sending as an SMS instead?

Also my idea of the flaw may be my viewpoint on it but if Bill regularly texts me from the 2 devices, I have no choice but to see those funnelled into 2 separate conversations. I'd like to see iMessages carry on in the same conversation under 'Bill' if I have added the email and phone number to Bill's contact. I don't see the need for the 2 conversations with Bill on top.. One for messages he sent via iPad and one from the phone. I understand I think that if Bill set his phone to send primarily from the imessage email that issue should iron out but then people less up to speed on iMessage would receive initial iMessages from him under his email and may not know to add that address to his contact name in order to see the messages come in under a simple name.

Sorry if that's clear as mud, I'm still getting my head around it and appreciate you taking the time to read over it!

Yes, I appreciate what you or saying, and I agree that it would be nice if they all came in under the same heading, but for those less au fait with what exactly is happening it may lead to confusion down the line.

Personally, I have separate IDs for my phone, MacBook, Mac mini, iPhone: I don't want the same messages coming in on each and every device. In the main, I expect people to respond to the ID from which I send.

Your friend Bill could change primary ID on his iPhone though to that of his email address which may suit both of you and others. He will still receive iMessage via his number but his messages on both devices will be seen to have come from the email ID.

EDIT: apologies -re-reading your mail I see you have already suggested what I am now suggesting. As for your enquiry, yes, in my experience iMessages sent while offline will be eventually delivered when the person returns to coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Frill

Help!!

I resently changed my number and now my husband is getting all my imessages! and they coming into my phone as well!!!

I need to get it sorted as I am planning a surprise for him and don't want him to get my texts!!!

Frill wrote: »
    Help!!

I resently changed my number and now my husband is getting all my imessages! and they coming into my phone as well!!!

I need to get it sorted as I am planning a surprise for him and don't want him to get my texts!!!

I suspect that this is because you have your caller ID set to your email address instead of your number. Go to settings/messages and adjust. No harm in having the email address as a second contact but make sure that your outgoing ID is set to your (new) number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Frill wrote: »
    Help!!

I suspect that this is because you have your caller ID set to your email address instead of your number. Go to settings/messages and adjust. No harm in having the email address as a second contact but make sure that your outgoing ID is set to your (new) number.
    I'd say it's the well known flaw with iMessage. Even restoring the phone might not stop your iMessages going to the old phone

Reading up on it, it seems you will have to restore your husbands phone and probably set up as a new device or else your phone number will still be registered to the UDID of his iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have a problem with my iMessage. I recently changed networks but kept my old number. When the other person replies it shows as an iMessage to my email and not phone number, they get charged for regular SMS if they send to my phone number. I have tried the following steps from apple support.

To change the defult phone number in iMessage, you need to:

Insert the new sim.
    Go to Settings > Messages>Turn off iMessage.
    Go to General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
    Once the iPhone is open.
    Go to Settings > Messages>Turn ON iMessage.
    This will recognize the new sim and have it verified.

It still doesn't work. I have attached screen shots. My phone number is grayed out and i cant select that as my default on iMessage or Facetime

imessage.jpg

facetime.jpg

Any help is much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Weird thing is that at first, iMessages used to come out with their own car-horn sound, whereas normal messages came in with their normal "TING!"
    Now the sounds are the same. Pain in the a.

Weird thing is that at first, iMessages used to come out with their own car-horn sound, whereas normal messages came in with their normal "TING!"
    Now the sounds are the same. Pain in the a.

I don't understand this comment, which I see frequently. I have set my ringtones to whatever I want. Many of my preferred contacts have individual ringtones assigned by me. If I want ting for one and car-horn for another, it's quick and easy to set up.

I don't understand this comment, which I see frequently. I have set my ringtones to whatever I want. Many of my preferred contacts have individual ringtones assigned by me. If I want ting for one and car-horn for another, it's quick and easy to set up.

Ringtones, yes, but not text-tones.

Ringtones, yes, but not text-tones.

Both are offered to me.

Both are offered to me.

Actually, now that I look, you're right. You can set a tone for an *individual*; what you can't do, as far as I can see, is assign a tone specifically for iMessages, as distinct from texts. When I first started getting iMessages they came in with their own tone, but they seem to have reverted to a normal text tone now.

Actually, now that I look, you're right. You can set a tone for an *individual*; what you can't do, as far as I can see, is assign a tone specifically for iMessages, as distinct from texts. When I first started getting iMessages they came in with their own tone, but they seem to have reverted to a normal text tone now.

That's true; but why do you want iMessage flagged with a different tone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ok guys. Hopefully I'm not repeating here but I was away for a few days. In Spain with data roaming off obviously ;)

But when I did connect to a wifi source I would be bombarded with a couple of Imesseges!

So I'm wondering is this some setting I new to sort on my phone or on the people that sent the SMS to me?

I have my setting to send as SMS when Imesseges is unavailable.

• Advertisement

It's the setting on their phone. Unless they have send as SMS turned on you won't get it until you have a data connection

kceire wrote: »
    Ok guys. Hopefully I'm not repeating here but I was away for a few days. In Spain with data roaming off obviously ;)

But when I did connect to a wifi source I would be bombarded with a couple of Imesseges!

So I'm wondering is this some setting I new to sort on my phone or on the people that sent the SMS to me?

I have my setting to send as SMS when Imesseges is unavailable.

Not sure I follow what the problem is but the setting is send AS SMS which is a decision pertinent to you. It doesn't apply to messages received.

Therefore, when you connected to wifi, you received any iMessage waiting in the wings; this is correct and perfectly normal.

Now -how does one get "bombarded" with a couple of imessages? :)

Now -how does one get "bombarded" with a couple of imessages? :)

Basically the other people that were texting me had the Imessege setting to send as SMS off so their texts were sitting in icyberspace waiting for me to get to a data connection. I went 3 days without a wifi connection in Spain so then I got hit won approx 20 Imesseges at once, that's BOMBARDMENT!!!! Que episode of the Simpsons :)

Basically the other people that were texting me had the Imessege setting to send as SMS off so their texts were sitting in icyberspace waiting for me to get to a data connection. I went 3 days without a wifi connection in Spain so then I got hit won approx 20 Imesseges at once, that's BOMBARDMENT!!!! Que episode of the Simpsons :)

Yes, I got that, but you said "a couple". That's two. :D

i meant a couple of couples :)

i meant a couple of couples :)

The only Couple of Couples I ever heard of was Charles and Diana and Camilla.

Not in Ireland, where the term's slightly variant has migrated from Irish to English; here it can mean two or it can mean a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I've just got a 3GS on latest software and is also jail broken. I have everything set up to send iMessage but it always fails. I've retried which fails again so then end up sending as a normal text MSG. When I go to send a text it says iMessage in the box.
    Is there anything I'm doing wrong?,
    I'm on 3 network and have full 3G coverage

Cheers

cococoady wrote: »
    I've just got a 3GS on latest software and is also jail broken. I have everything set up to send iMessage but it always fails. I've retried which fails again so then end up sending as a normal text MSG. When I go to send a text it says iMessage in the box.

Cheers
    imessage will only work if the person you're texting has imessage and has it activated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

guil wrote: »
    cococoady wrote: »

Cheers
    imessage will only work if the person you're texting has imessage and has it activated
    Yup they do have it.

Advertisement