Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does it annoy when people refer to your guns as toys??

Options
  • 02-04-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Ok maybe this is just me but it bugs me when people refer to airsoft guns as toys.

Now naturally some of these people are completely unawares about the sport and see airsoft guns as the cheap plastic yolks you buy in a texaco garage for your child. But people who do know about it be it a friend or some post you see on youtube etc etc and to call them toys in my head deep deep down i just want to shake them (I may have issues).

When u see the level of engineering behind what actually goes into a airsoft gun (quality brands even more so) be it aeg, pistol, gbbr I just cant refer to them as toys.

So i ask even though you just pretty much ignore people who call them toys secretly at the back of you mind your saying "they are not toys".

So is it just me or do yaw'l feel the same??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CQB Airsoft

I pretty much always refer to them as toys :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

tbh they're toys in my head, admittedly we now have an official classification of RIF, but im actually happy for people to think of them as toys

look like a gun and fire 6mm, could be 20euro or 200dollars they're the same thing in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Crap.....seems like its just me then. I mean springers have been around for years and t some point of our childhood why more than likely had these, but when you see the likes of a Real sword SVD, and other high end rifles i could not justify calling them toys.

I get why people refer to them as toys but when it used in a derogatory sense saying they are kids toys etc at the back of my head i don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

i have a real sword svd as well, in the end they all do they same thing, some just look better than other, some maybe plastic and other metal but when it really comes down to it they all fire plastic bb :)

i had a friend who hated them being called toy and tbh it was just a metal thing, did not want to think he way spending that much money on a 'toy'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I don't refer to them as toys myself but it isn't too bothersome when someone does call them that. I mean, what it boils down to is, we're a bunch of teenagers and adults running around the woods playing Cops and Robbers. We even get grumpy when we can't decide who shot who. :D

It isn't a big deal for me so long as the person calling them "toys" is aware that they can be dangerous if not used right (eye protection, etc.). Once they're aware of that, they can call them unicorns for all I care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They are toys, I call them toys.

And due to the amount they break, act up, or just in general perform ****ing muck at the best of times, the "engineering" is probably constructed by a child, hence so them being toys.

I just couldnt actually hold a straight face calling them imitation firearms etc.

At best I'll call it an "airsoft gun"

Yea thats true puding might just be a metal thing, fact of the matter is i love the sport and no persons view is going to change that.

@thedoc Well i don't know exactly what you mean by them being made by kids they aint socks or shoes being knitted or stitched by some child in a underground sock and shoe factory in vietnam. Be it injection moulding, cnc, milling and lathe work its a very skilled job to perform that let alone to design especially when you look at manufacturers in the high end market tokyo marui,, vfc, real sword and so on the level of engineering is quite impressive for a toy. As for breaking and all that jazz look after your gun and it wont be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

It wouldn't annoy me the fact peeps call them toys, if that was the case the wife would've been six foot under a long time ago:D The fact that they're toys doesn't prevent my imagination from imagining something like this (look at clip) is going on when i'm skirmishing:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnlPgo9TaGo

Except for the lack of jumping out of planes, boarding submarines and driving gun boats of course:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

I've never referred to them as toys, always as Airsoft guns...always made the most sense. It is what it is.

I can't say that I am irritated when people refer to them as toys on a personal level, but sometimes I am from an argumentative perspective i.e. where people think "ah sure they're only toys, I can walk around the street with them!" etc. It annoys me on that level, but not from a communications standpoint :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JFAirsofter

first off i absolutly hate it when people refer to them as toys, so much so that i want to punch them (obviously i never would), or when my mother or someone said something stupid like "are you goin shooting tomorrow?" but you know what really gets me, is when you see some kid on youtube over in america with a vid entitled airsoft m4 aeg or something like that, and the thing is some cheap pasltic piece of **** for wall mart or something and him saying its the greatest thing ever when it's a spring gun and the thing only shoots a 100fps or so and couldn't even kill a fly, i've actually had my old youtube account deleted because of throwin to much abuse at idiots like that, just one thing i'm not a hater, i just hate those idiots

sorry if it seems like i'm rammbling this is like a therpy session for me, thanks for reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭Jsmurff

Well they are toys… well sortof you can't hand them to a kid but you do see a lot people between the ages of 30-40 collecting 20-30 of them for the novelty of putting little holes in paper in lue of owning a porche or a Ferrari :) midlife crises and so forth...

What pisses me off is people saying "oh yer fags for running around playing army man ":mad:

first off i absolutly hate it when people refer to them as toys, so much so that i want to puncor them or when my mother or someone said something stupid like "are you goin shooting tomorrow?"

That's what I say all the time 0_o

What's wrong like do symantics really piss you off that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Jsmurff wrote: »
    What pisses me off is people saying "oh yer fags for running around playing army man ":mad:

9 times in 10, these are people who spend their days on a couch playing CoD or Battlefield, which is essentially "playing army man" as well. Keyboard Warriors and other sub-species of Troll all survive off negative emotion, especially anger. If you ignore them, they starve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

sorry if it seems like i'm rammbling this is like a therpy session for me, thanks for reading
    `

Chillax man...

And remember at the end of the day we are all sad Walts. Some of us just need more help than others :-)

well if you have a "toy" that fires hot lets say 400fps and you get caught with said "toy" and are subsequently banged up for the possession of a toy sorry my bad i meant firearm...Might not happen but its classed as a firearm not a toy!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

first off i absolutly hate it when people refer to them as toys, so much so that i want to punch them (obviously i never would), or when my mother or someone said something stupid like "are you goin shooting tomorrow?" but you know what really gets me, is when you see some kid on youtube over in america with a vid entitled airsoft m4 aeg or something like that, and the thing is some cheap pasltic piece of **** for wall mart or something and him saying its the greatest thing ever when it's a spring gun and the thing only shoots a 100fps or so and couldn't even kill a fly, i've actually had my old youtube account deleted because of throwin to much abuse at idiots like that, just one thing i'm not a hater, i just hate those idiots

well if you have a "toy" that fires hot lets say 400fps and you get caught with said "toy" and are subsequently banged up for the possession of a toy sorry my bad i meant firearm...Might not happen but its classed as a firearm not a toy!

Jesus, there's bigger things goin on in the world. My wife calls them toys, my friends call them toys. My wife, family and friends laugh and slag me over it but guess what, I don't care. I enjoy it and that's all that matters to me. RIF, gun, toy, does it really matter that much???

jayod30 wrote: »
    Jesus, there's bigger things goin on in the world. My wife calls them toys, my friends call them toys. My wife, family and friends laugh and slag me over it but guess what, I don't care. I enjoy it and that's all that matters to me. RIF, gun, toy, does it really matter that much???

There is bigger thing jayo yes but they ain't being discussed here. You are right though it does not matter what people call them for the simple reason your like me it is not going to stop me from playing. But the reason why i put this post up originally was to see that is there some bit of you though be it tiny that you cringe when people call them toys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Throw up a poll, it might help,

Personally you can call it the wrath of almighty Good if you'd like, i don't really mind, a few cousins, aunts etc, have referred to mine as toys, but treated them more seriously once they saw how fast bbs travel etc,

I call mine several names most wknds, all of which i can't post on Boards :)

Edit-- Post 500 Woop Woop :D:D

jayod30 wrote: »
    i admire your attiude man, i don't mean to bitch or anything its just some things like that bug me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Think I might sort out my toy guns and go shooting soon :pac:

Serious note, I couldn't give a fiddlers fcuk what they're referred to as. The main thing for me is that people understand, they're not like a super soaker where you can wave 'em about in the street and point them at people...

That analogy works well with other things too...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Great, so now I mod the toy forum, how am I gonna explain that to the lads in the rugby club.... :rolleyes:

i agree completly with Lefty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Steve wrote: »
    Great, so now I mod the toy forum, how am I gonna explain that to the lads in the rugby club.... :rolleyes:

you have also been out to play with toy guns :D

on topic;
    i dont mind what people call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

i also refer to them as toys or even maybe airsoft guns but 75% of the time you have to explain to people what it is cos generally speaking many people mix this up with "Oh them pellet gun things you get on holliers!!!":rolleyes::rolleyes:
    but realistically speaking they are real toys that we all dress up with and run around the forest and shoot eachother, and be happy aboutit until we all get tired and have bit of an old fit towards the end of the day and round it off with going to bed early!! :D:D
    so whats wrong with calling them toys? albeit expensive toys that if the other half seen how much they are we would all be dead!!! (FOR REAL!!!):D:D
    On the other hand we do get up off the couch, leave the house and run around unlike the couch warriors and those warhammer heroes!!!

i do have to admit, it keeps me fit and i don't have to waste money on a gym membership, now i spend it wisely on an aeg that i definately need

i'll stick to my word, airsoft is not just a game, its a lifestyle choice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I called them aubergines, but I've begun referring to them as eggplants lately. They haven't stopped firing plastic balls at whatever I point them at though, despite the change.
    Funny that, how the name change seemed to make zero difference...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalv10022

Yes It annoys me!

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    i also refer to them as toys or even maybe airsoft guns but 75% of the time you have to explain to people what it is cos generally speaking many people mix this up with "Oh them pellet gun things you get on holliers!!!":rolleyes::rolleyes:
    but realistically speaking they are real toys that we all dress up with and run around the forest and shoot eachother, and be happy aboutit until we all get tired and have bit of an old fit towards the end of the day and round it off with going to bed early!! :D:D
    so whats wrong with calling them toys? albeit expensive toys that if the other half seen how much they are we would all be dead!!! (FOR REAL!!!):D:D
    On the other hand we do get up off the couch, leave the house and run around unlike the couch warriors and those warhammer heroes!!!

I have yet to see someone play this extreme form of chess from a seated position :P considering we play on an 8' x 2' board!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭McSheez

I call em toys, we play with them therefore surely they're toys, personally I would've given body parts to have an aeg when I was a kid, but i don't mind admitting that I'm still "playing guns" with big toys well into my 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Squad 701

As long as they are Toys, we are in business ;-)
    The day they stop being toys is when they get reclassified as firearms !
    So keep calling them toys :-)

Advertisement