Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lack of events and Milsims?

• 01-04-2012 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I was just wondering why there is a big lack of Airsoft events in Ireland. The place I see them the most often is in Bellurgan, but that is too far away for me to travel to, mainly because of my lack of car.

With Dublin having the most sites in the area, I'd have thought there would be one maybe once or twice a month. They require some planning, but they are worth it in the end.

The ones I have played in are always totally different to the regular pick up days. They are what got me into using mid caps, and they encourage teamwork and communication even more so than airsoft usually does.

Milsims and one day events help to bring the entire airsoft community together, and I would love to see more happen around the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hopefully there will be another Rionegro game this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭stevie4568

I was just asking the Bellurgan guys about that, I would definitely travel up there for Rionegro! I missed it last year so I'll have to catch it this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Funny you should mention Rionegro because, ############ [REDACTED] ############.

Although the OPs question was about seeing events elsewhere in the country. From my trawling across various websites and Facebook pages there are some other big events. But the Milsim scene has gone a bit quiet. Two reasons I would think are the closure of some sites that were big supporters of MilSim (like HRTA) and because some people have moved on (Evilrobotshane was a big driver before he moved to the UK last year).

There are sites interested in offering more MilSim but organisers I think we need more good people planning and organising events. And for big events, what will be needed are big sites. Those are harder to find.

sliabh wrote: »
    Funny you should mention Rionegro because, ############ [REDACTED] ############.

Oh why do you tease Sliabh?
    Also I had NO IDEA HRTA had closed down! when did this happen? :O
    Bellurgan is probably the biggest site in ireland, but there are other very large ones in the dublin are, such as Red Barn and Fingal, and I would have thought Red Barn would have been interested in Milsim. It seems like it would fit in with their MO.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

stevie4568 wrote: »
    I was just wondering why there is a big lack of Airsoft events in Ireland. The place I see them the most often is in Bellurgan, but that is too far away for me to travel to, mainly because of my lack of car.

Beg, borrow, steal, or convince your way into someone else's car, figure out public transport as close as possible and organise for someone else attending with wheels to see if they'd mind picking you up, or contact organisers for same.

Most of the events around the UK (including ones attended by Irish players) involve travel. The best sites or facilities typically tend (there are exceptions in relative terms) to be ones that are not in well populated areas. That's just the way it goes ... don't let the lack of your own car defeat you.

• Advertisement

Lemming are there many events in the UK? All I see are the occasional posts about sennybridge or some such:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JFAirsofter

you know what i'd love to see happen more, is 24hr events, none stop gameplay i know theres one commin up soon i think in bellurgan but can't make that one and don't know of anymore commin up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BigGunner

There is a 24hr non stop milsim in cork during the summer (july i think). With regards travelling to events, ask for a lift, someone will help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

BigGunner wrote: »
    There is a 24hr non stop milsim in cork during the summer (july i think). With regards travelling to events, ask for a lift, someone will help out.

Any more info on it would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

jayod30 wrote: »
    Any more info on it would be great

https://www.facebook.com/events/231629680193316/
    not much information, just a comment that 'this is milsim' which does not tell you much, would like to see some more information myself

there are a lot of event in the uk the reason you do not hear much about them or about people traveling to them is that the people that go just general get on with it, have a look at

http://www.stirlingairsoft.com/
    http://www.tier1airsoft.com/
    http://www.firstandonlyevents.co.uk/
    http://www.ta-events.co.uk/
    http://www.brittacairsoft.com/site1/
    http://www.neptunetactical.co.uk/#/home/4559698077
    http://apocalypse249.com/home/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Puding wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/events/231629680193316/
    not much information, just a comment that 'this is milsim' which does not tell you much, would like to see some more information myself

there are a lot of event in the uk the reason you do not hear much about them or about people traveling to them is that the people that go just general get on with it, have a look at

http://www.stirlingairsoft.com/
    http://www.tier1airsoft.com/
    http://www.firstandonlyevents.co.uk/
    http://www.ta-events.co.uk/
    http://www.brittacairsoft.com/site1/
    http://www.neptunetactical.co.uk/#/home/4559698077
    http://apocalypse249.com/home/

To add to that;

Arnies Airsoft Events subforum (needs registration/login to view)
    UK Airsoft Zone (UKAZ) Sites sub forum
    Gunman Airsoft
    Tour of Duty 2012 (Vietnam airsoft) - also includes dates (August) for the highly regarded "In Country" series

etc.

I could go on all day listing stuff. Some of it you need to dig for though, but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

If it's anything like the 24h game played at RAB last year, there'll be plenty fun to go around. I imagine Martin will have more details up later in the year when he has a better idea of what kind of numbers he's expecting.

Oh why do you tease Sliabh?

Builds anticipation...

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    If it's anything like the 24h game played at RAB last year, there'll be plenty fun to go around. I imagine Martin will have more details up later in the year when he has a better idea of what kind of numbers he's expecting.

well that is the problem with a lot of events in Ireland, people want to know details of the even before they commit to anything, just slapping a milsim tag onto something does not really tell you enough

just slapping a milsim tag onto something does not really tell you enough
    Careful now or you will re-ignite the "what is milsim" debate!

:)

Do you think there would be a opening in the market for an airsoft events company? I know that Lion Claws in America use locations that aren't normally airsoft sites,such as ex military bases and large plots of land. Maybe some of the ghost housing estates could be put to use! ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm involved in a (mostly) monthly Airsoft LARP called Midway that EvilRobotShane and a few others from here have played at regularly - details here. It's kinda like MilSim with more emphasis on story and role play (but plenty of combat too). There's a nice mix of shooters (airsoft and archers), melee (rubber swords) and non-combat players to make it quite interesting.

We had to get our own insurance this year which cost quite a bit, but that's probably the biggest barrier to any events company setting up as it's difficult to guarantee numbers for such a niche hobby.

Larping always interested me, I think it gets a bad rap form stuff like this

but I'm sure it's good craic. Not quite the same as milsim but I can see where the milsim elements would be incorperated:P

Here is a question for the original poster. Without going into labels (like MilSim, Battle Sim etc), what is it you are looking for that you are looking for that you are not getting from your current weekend skirmish?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

heheh, yea, it can be a lot more difficult to suspend disbelief in fantasy stuff - especially when you're using "magic", but tbh (and I'm sure there are some Airsofters who may not agree), MilSim is LARPing - just not always with the story :p

Midway we don't really have the "magic" problem as the combat's fairly intuitive - we do use "calls" for the melee stuff though as there are some rules associated with it because you might want to knock someone out or to run them through with a blade. There are ammo restrictions, supplies, armour, rules for first aid and skill progression etc.

Feel free to PM if you want to know more - we play on a Friday evening towards the end of the month and have a bus from Dublin city out to Red Barn where we play :)

• Advertisement

I'm a fan of games with storyline, and with objectives other than plant that bomb, or take that flag. I like having motivation to complete the objective.

I also like working in teams with radio communications. During the pick-up days I've been to, people rarely if ever utilise radios. I like using radios, coordinating squads, or being coordinated to hit the enemy for maximum effectiveness.

I don't necessarily even want milsim games, I would just like day long games with running objectives and teamwork.

Larping always interested me, I think it gets a bad rap form stuff like this

funny actually you could say almost the same thing about airsoft tbh, just replace video with one of the 1000s on youtube showing stupidity in airsoft ;)

funny actually you could say almost the same thing about airsoft tbh, just replace video with one of the 1000s on youtube showing stupidity in airsoft ;)

Thats true but it's easier to suspend disbelief in airsoft, as it's more believable to
    hold the gun in your hands as opposed to throwing tennis balls and pretending it's lightning:P

Thats true but it's easier to suspend disbelief in airsoft, as it's more believable to
    hold the gun in your hands as opposed to throwing tennis balls and pretending it's lightning:P

a lot of people outside of the hobby would disagree but that is a discussion for another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Unfortunately airsoft in Ireland is full of people who are not willing to make the effort. Everyone is interested in trying more MilSim orientated games...when and where it suits them. The amount of times I see and hear people ask about games, and then answer it with "Ah yeah, but that's ages away" - I can understand being a fellow moucher (no car), but unless effort is made, why will site owners bother to organise more niche games? A niche within a niche is not very many people at all.

The way I personally see it is that for MilSim in Ireland to take off properly people need to put their money where their mouth is, and just high tail it when and where they're on. Yes there are other commitments in life, but the more successful events there are, the more likely it is for people to try and run them. And if in the event that one does not meet the standards, then people will talk about it and ensure that people know there are others, and that other events are successful.

a lot of people outside of the hobby would disagree but that is a discussion for another thread
    Thats just my perspective form inside airsoft, but yes you're absolutely right some people would equate them very easily

Inari wrote: »
    The way I personally see it is that for MilSim in Ireland to take off properly people need to put their money where their mouth is, and just high tail it when and where they're on. Yes there are other commitments in life, but the more successful events there are, the more likely it is for people to try and run them. And if in the event that one does not meet the standards, then people will talk about it and ensure that people know there are others, and that other events are successful.

I agree, an effort must be made, but efforts are made! I personally got up at 5 am to get into town to catch a bus to Dundalk to catch a bus to Bellurgan to play in the Somali conflict 2 last July, and there were many other people from Dublin who made the trek up to Louth for the game. Imagine the turn out we could have down in Dublin, where there are many airsofters. The only thing is there isn't anyone experimenting and trying to put on the events here.

I find there's a certain appeal to bellurgan as they have done so many, and they're getting very good at running them, and they run every type of event. From day long story-driven games to hardcore 48 hour milsims, they do em all, and fairly regularly. They are at the forefront of events in Ireland as far as I can see and I think a site that puts in the same level of work down here could be tremendously successful .

One of the reason's why Bellurgan is good for these games is the gang there want to put on the sort of games they want to play.

The other one is that the place is big, particularly when they open the whole site. If you are looking for a day long, mission driven event with large numbers, and you don't want to be tripping over other players all day long then a larger site is key. I know some of the Dublin sites are pretty popular, but I have heard it's like the Battle of the Somme on busy days. That isn't helpful for slower paced mission orientated games.

One of the reason's why Bellurgan is good for these games is the gang there want to put on the sort of games they want to play.

i think this is a key point and has come up a number of times discussing this topic with friends

the best 'milsim' events are put on by people who are running games they want to play in and it then attracts people with similar mind sets, this is important for it to work tbh

if you;re just going out to run milsim and attract as many people as possible then it will not work as it just becomes nonediscript and lovely generic with to many concessions bing made

more and more events will come as the community in ireland develops and sites delevop, at the moment for example a lot of sites are just to small for example let alone anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Lemming wrote: »
    Most of the events around the UK (including ones attended by Irish players) involve travel. The best sites or facilities typically tend (there are exceptions in relative terms) to be ones that are not in well populated areas. That's just the way it goes ... don't let the lack of your own car defeat you.

Hell ... for quite a few of us over here the main milsim games played are in the UK or even Sweden - getting some transport to Bellurgan is significantly less of a burden than the ferry or flight required to play abroad.

As someone who has played in Bellurgan (at the first Rionegro game) I have to say that the effort is worth it. For me having this facility a mere 90 minutes from Dublin makes it that much easier to get a game in without having to go to the hassle of going abroad.

Advertisement