Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do ships sink?

• 01-04-2012 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

On now on CH4. Very interesting. Anybody watching?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

On Ch. 4 now and 4+1 at 9pm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Two threads merged. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Yep watched it general consensus seems to be that the human behind the wheel is the problem in a lot of sinkings.

Do any of the cruse ships about to day have any AB's aboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

Yes I am watching it as well,it seems to be human error what causes most ships to sink, not the condition of the boat really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have to say that I missed the show, but the premise that people/crew generally cause the ship to sink is to be tempered by the numerous cases where weather and/or defects caused the ship to sink with heavy loss of life. There was a series called Mayday on a few years ago that had plenty of these examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

lorcan122 wrote: »
    Yes I am watching it as well,it seems to be human error what causes most ships to sink, not the condition of the boat really.

I'd say human error always causes ships to sink

- Shoreside cutting the maintenace budget to shreds
    - Shoreside hiring cheap incorrectly trained labour
    - Shoreside not inspecting the ships properly/letting badly maintained ships sail.
    - Shipstaff not giving an arse as they're not paid well
    - Shipstaff being lazy and flogging the maintenance records.

really, I'm not anti-office staff, but I sailed in a few companies where as 4th Eng I was give 2nd Engs tasks as the Chief did not trust the 2nd and third - a combination of racism and genuine terror that they would do something stupid. That should never have happened, but as the companies insisted on hiring people without checking their background correctly it did happen.

My personal favourite was the 2nd mate who had spent 15+ yrs in the Navy** but had never updated a chart as he was a quartermaster

**= his nationality isn't important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

lorcan122 wrote: »

I'd say human error always causes ships to sink

- Shoreside cutting the maintenace budget to shreds
    - Shoreside hiring cheap incorrectly trained labour
    - Shoreside not inspecting the ships properly/letting badly maintained ships sail.
    - Shipstaff not giving an arse as they're not paid well
    - Shipstaff being lazy and flogging the maintenance records.

really, I'm not anti-office staff, but I sailed in a few companies where as 4th Eng I was give 2nd Engs tasks as the Chief did not trust the 2nd and third - a combination of racism and genuine terror that they would do something stupid. That should never have happened, but as the companies insisted on hiring people without checking their background correctly it did happen.

My personal favourite was the 2nd mate who had spent 15+ yrs in the Navy** but had never updated a chart as he was a quartermaster

**= his nationality isn't important

+1 to that.

I have worked for international companies before,Never again.
    Glad I am master on a Norwegian offshore vessel,Ahts,with Scandinavian crew.
    And they still can't recruit enough people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

+1 to that.

I have worked for international companies before,Never again.
    Glad I am master on a Norwegian offshore vessel,Ahts,with Scandinavian crew.
    And they still can't recruit enough people.

Give me a shout at the end of May :cool:-- I'll be finished my exams here in UCC (for this year anyway) I'm realising just how much of a practical engineer I am, i'm starting to hate the sight of books and I want to get back to sea again

Advertisement