Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

REPORTS - Wildfire's

• 24-03-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

With the increasing heat and lack of rainfall so far this year there is the possibility of large numbers of gorse fires breaking out over the coming weeks.
    Anyone who is aware of fires in there area might please post on this forum with if possible current weather conditions.
    Thank you.
    (MODS - Please delete if unhappy with thread)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Seems to have been quite a big fire north of Dingle today

197733.png

Daily satellite images here

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/realtime/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

That's down near Dún an Óir, I'd say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Fear_an_tarbh

Some small fires in Fanad, North Donegal this evening, two fire engines went up there about 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

We have seen some very large fires in Kerry in the last week or so including one on saturday night over on the dingle peninsula, which we could see from cahersiveen area and it looked very, very big.

There was also local reports of the Gardai investigating the starting of a fire as it took all the local fire resources in a part of north kerry and there wasn't any available to attend a more pressing emergency.

There is one just west of me at the mo.

With the weather as it is, we'll see a good few in the next few days unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

There was a large fire on Brandon Hill outside Graignamanagh today. Started about 3.30pm and was still burning about an hour ago, though much smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

As far as i am aware there has been a number of large fires near killorglin in Kerry in the last number of days.
    Anyone know when the last decent amount of rainfall was ? Seems like we have had no substantial precip in quite a while.

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=52.087989&lon=-9.829609&z=13.6&r=0&src=msl

?lat=52.077111&lon=-9.823189&z=12.9&r=0&src=msl

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Seemed to be a wildfire or two on the hills to the northwest of Galway today, plenty of smoke in that direction when I left work this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I flew over Dublin City and down the east coast this afternoon and there was a thick layer of haze and smoke visible up to the inversion (around 3000 ft). There was a large fire visible somewhere over the Dublin mountains, it looked somewhere near Kippure. With the direction of the wind SE-S there were most likely other fires further south generating the smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Su Campu wrote: »
    I flew over Dublin City and down the east coast this afternoon and there was a thick layer of haze and smoke visible up to the inversion (around 3000 ft). There was a large fire visible somewhere over the Dublin mountains, it looked somewhere near Kippure. With the direction of the wind SE-S there were most likely other fires further south generating the smoke.

I saw this smoke while on the train near Newbridge. Seemed to be coming from the Kippure area alright.

I could see some very high altitude smoke in Kilkenny city coming from the S.E. earlier today. Then this evening there was a very dark plume. Looked like it was from the Mt. Brandon area again but cant be sure.

Yes, another fire today which seemed much larger than yesterdays. The area on fire today was further up than shown in your pic, and from what I could make out through the smoke, actually reached the cross at the summit. The smoke blocked the sun for quite a while in Graignamanagh, and gave everything a brownish/orange glow.

• Advertisement

There was a large number of fires in south kerry yesterday, Not suprising given temps of 22 and above.

28 Mar 2012
    Area of Kerry identified as danger area for gorse and wild fires

A portion of mid Kerry is being identified as a danger area on a county basis for gorse and wild fires.
    Kerry Fire Service says the number of call outs to the area between Killorglin and Mountain Stage is very high.
    An interagency group looking at the problem of wildfires and gorse fires has decided to hold a meeting in order to raise awareness and help local communities.
    The public meeting will take place in Glenbeigh Community Centre next Monday night at 8 o'clock.
    Assistant Chief Fire Officer with Kerry County Council, Michael Flynn and Ciarán Nugent from the Department of Agriculture will both speak at the event.

< Radio Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Big fire on Mount Brandon this evening. No clouds, all smoke.
    This is what I can see from my garden.

p3291729.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

p3291731.jpg

p3291730.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Massive forest fire burning in South Armagh ATM according to the BBC just now - others in parts of Antrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Looks like quite a bad one all right

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17541387

A few spotted on the satellite pic at 13.20pm, quite a lot of smoke from the one in NW Donegal

26087826.png

Loobz wrote: »
    Big fire on Mount Brandon this evening. No clouds, all smoke.
    This is what I can see from my garden.

I suspect that all that smoke was the result of a large fire on White Mountain (southern end of the Blackstairs). Theres another fire in roughly the same area tonight, but relatively small compared to yesterdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

Just saw the news about the fire in Kilmacanogue. Thinking of the firefighters - battling to save houses (and lives) I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Just for a little perspective :D

There's a sizable fire burning at the moment on the southern end of Mt Leinster. Seems to be roughly 4/5km north of the Killanne/Kiltealy area.

Large Forest fire outside Killorglin, Co. Kerry
    Strange that just a few days of dry weather can cause large fire outbreak...

With over a week of non substantial rain there has been a noticable increase in gorse fire's.
    Current temps are low and wind speed is currently very low however some large incidents have already been reported.

http://www.southernstar.ie/Community/Beara/Huge-gorse-fire-lights-up-Beara-skyline-25022013.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    With over a week of non substantial rain there has been a noticable increase in gorse fire's.
    Current temps are low and wind speed is currently very low however some large incidents have already been reported.

http://www.southernstar.ie/Community/Beara/Huge-gorse-fire-lights-up-Beara-skyline-25022013.htm

Its been a busy weekend for fires services in Kerry
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-fire-service-says-killarney-national-park-was-threatened-by-gorse-fires/
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/fire-crews-in-all-night-battle-against-blazing-gorse/

Some small fires visible on todays satellite image of the South West

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/single.cgi?image=crefl1_143.A2013056114500-2013056115000.250m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Surely these fires are caused by farmers burning gorse?

Link

Just saw this on facebook. Spectacular shot of the hills above Cahersiveen, Co. Kerry, burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Burning within 500m of my house, not a big area yet though.

ch750536 wrote: »

Nice to see the burning deadline being honoured!

ch750536 wrote: »

Where was that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Abbeyfeale. Had to remove location from sig for a little while

Large fire on Mt. Leinster this evening. Would not be surprised if the smoke from this can be seen as far south as Waterford.

ml2.jpg

I believe there has been a number of large gorse / forestry fire's in Kerry today.
    None visible from my location however i did spot a large plume off smoke earlier which had dissipated within 30 minute's.

Massive fire's in Clare at the moment though.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/spate-of-gorse-fires-started-deliberately-say-gardai-29175519.html

Temp's are still very low so it seems strange to me that there has been so many even taking into consideration the lack of rainfall.

• Advertisement

^^^

Buddy of mine is out cycling in the area. Rang me wanting to check what was going on. Said it looked amazing. Described it as lava going down the mountain.

Where exactly ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement