Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prehistoric tool found in Burren cave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gah, misleading title. I was expecting a shark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i was expecting the biggest tool of all, sean searlock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can we leave the politics out of it please?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Very interesting find, but this quote from the link above is a little alarming
    Marion Dowd, for the Institute of Technology (IT) Sligo, presented their finding in Tubber, County Offaly, this week. She said the cave was used about 3,000 years ago, at the end of the Medieval period.
    and this is perplexing,
    Dr Dowd said “the discovery of the fabulous antler hammerhead is hugely exciting. I can’t find any other parallels in Irish archaeology.”
    antler tools have been well documented, especially by Billy O'Brien in his work on the copper mines of Mount Gabriel.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/archaeology/Publications/books_published_by_departmental_staff_1990_to_1999.html

Oddly enough, Billy O'Brien also discovered 17th century remains (pottery) in one of the Bronze age mines he excavated.
    Perhaps there was a tradition of venerating ancient caves/mines in the 17th C.

http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Cork&id=5807

Advertisement