Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forme Ramble Hybrid Bike 2011

Options
  • 26-03-2012 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Wondering what people thought of this bike?

Also anyone know what size a 5'11" male should get in this bike?? They have either a 18" or 21" model and I think I fall between both on the guidance sizing.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

link?
    never heard of the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Well this seems to be the bike.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Forme-Ramble-2011-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_41585.htm

I would imagine it is from these guys:

http://formecoaching.com/ who started selling bikes under the forme bikes brand. The bike collection is here:

http://www.formebikes.co.uk/ though that bike is not included so it looks like they have done away with that particular model though the logo on that bike above looks to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

kenmc wrote: »
    link?

Maybe this is it: Forme Ramble

Looks like you can get it for €360 if purchase before noon tomorrow (with 10% discount code).

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

woody_2000 wrote: »
    kenmc wrote: »
    link?

Maybe this is it: Forme Ramble

Looks like you can get it for €360 if purchase before noon tomorrow (with 10% discount code).

Yeah thats the one on chain reactions that I seen. Any thoughts on it??

Looking at another bike a scott sub 40 black?? Any thoughts on them

• Advertisement

deco72 wrote: »

Looks ok, with a reasonable spec. for the money. Front Suspension and suspension seatpost, mechanical disc brakes. 7 speed rear cassette - but 8-speed would probably only offer an extra smaller cog (e.g. 11 tooth) than the 14 tooth of the 7-speed, which may not be necessary.

There's also a Kona Dew Plus on CRC for just €10 more with a higher spec. drivetrain and hydraulic brakes - but without the suspension. It's available with a 49cm (19.3") frame, which might of interest.

Looking at another bike a scott sub 40 black?? Any thoughts on them

The Scott Sub 40 looks to have a similar spec. to the Forme Rambler, but without the suspension or disc brakes (i.e. v-brakes) - and has an 8-speed rear cassette. Depends on what you can get it for.

woody_2000 wrote: »

Looks ok, with a reasonable spec. for the money. Front Suspension and suspension seatpost, mechanical disc brakes. 7 speed rear cassette - but 8-speed would probably only offer an extra smaller cog (e.g. 11 tooth) than the 14 tooth of the 7-speed, which may not be necessary.

There's also a Kona Dew Plus on CRC for just €10 more with a higher spec. drivetrain and hydraulic brakes - but without the suspension. It's available with a 49cm (19.3") frame, which might of interest.

That one sounds good ill have to have a look at it. Are they a decent make?? Im looking for something good to go road cycling but dont particularly like the drop bars, and was recommended that without a suspension would b better

That one sounds good ill have to have a look at it. Are they a decent make?? Im looking for something good to go road cycling but dont particularly like the drop bars, and was recommended that without a suspension would b better

Kona are a fairly big North American brand, and should be ok.

The rear cassette of the Kona appears to have a large 34-tooth "granny gear", which is a big jump from the next lowest gear. The rear cassette can always be changed if different gearing is required for road use.

woody 2000 - is there anything that you would recommend? looking for a decent hybrid bike between €300-€600.

• Advertisement

woody 2000 - is there anything that you would recommend? looking for a decent hybrid bike between €300-€600.

The Kona could be ok. You could fine tune it with a different rear cassette and tyres for more efficient road use. The cassette and tyres already on the bike could then be useful for trekking, etc.

That's a fairly big question. It depends on how "roady" you want to get with a hybrid. There are hybrids that are essentially full road bikes, but with straight handlebars - and there are hybrids that are basically mountain bikes but without suspension and more road orientated tyres. And there are graduations between the two extremes. So, the first question might be: Where on the "hybrid" scale might you be? What type of tyres, gearing, brakes, etc. might you need? Does "road" mean open good quality roads, city/suburbs, poor/rough roads, hilly/twisty roads, etc. If you can identify the parameters/constraints for your ideal bike spec. then you can work from there. That would be my first recommendation. There are so many variations, including available brands, pricing/spec, etc. which would make it difficult to make an absolute recommendation.

Maybe somewhere at the center of the hybrid scale might suit. That's probably where the Kona would be, again, maybe with some fine tuning. For around €600 Halfords do the Boardman Comp Hybrid (only in white, I think) - they also do the Carrera Gryphon for €460. For the money (approx. €370 with 10% discount before noon tomorrow) the Kona might be worth a shot, and is probably as well priced as you can get, if you don't mind hydraulic disc brakes. As you become more familiar with what you might need, you could then fine tune it closer to your requirements. The cassette, for example, only takes minutes to change - easier than changing a tyre. €10-€20 should cover the cost of a cassette. Actually, if I was in the market for a well priced hybrid - I think I might just get the Kona, if the right frame size was available (I'd need a 21") -- but that's just me. Subjective, I know. 'Fraid I can't think much beyond this point this evening - my brain is shutting down :o Rgds.

The Scott Sub 40 looks to have a similar spec. to the Forme Rambler, but without the suspension or disc brakes (i.e. v-brakes) - and has an 8-speed rear cassette. Depends on what you can get it for.[/Quote]

Been looking around today online and cheapest I can get is €400 for the scott sub 40 2011. Which is €135 cheaper than what I saw it in a shop. So this is a good price as long as they have in stock. Waiting to hear back on sizes in stock.

Regarding hybrid spec to be honest I wouldnt know much about what to have. Like I know shimano are pretty good for components like brakes gears etc so was sticking to them.

Im looking to mainly do commuting cycling to work and college and then when have time to do so a good longish cycle. Im also hoping to start to train to do the maracycle in June so wanted sumn comfortable and quick for that

If you have a preference for v-brakes the Scott could be ok. The Kona has a higher spec. drivetrain and hydraulic brakes. If you think hydraulic brakes would suit, the the Kona could be a good bet. Both should make good commuter bikes, set up properly - and may be the most suitable type of bike for your purposes.

The 10% off the Kona on CRC is only available for the next hour or so. Could be a good deal, if suitable.

Advertisement