Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post-Doctorate Teaching Experience Needed

• 23-03-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi all,

I just finished a 3.5 year PhD in molecular biology/cancer research. Due to the time consuming nature of the PhD I haven't had much experience teaching or demonstrating. Now I have more free time I was hoping to catch up on this experience. I have experience in teaching grinds to college students, but am looking for more formal teaching. Would anybody have any advice on where to apply or how to approach this in the Dublin area?

An application has been sent to my former department for any demonstrating opportunities. My undergraduate study was Biochemistry with a few additional modules such as microbiology and organic/inorganic chemistry.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Seb83 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I just finished a 3.5 year PhD in molecular biology/cancer research. Due to the time consuming nature of the PhD I haven't had much experience teaching or demonstrating. Now I have more free time I was hoping to catch up on this experience. I have experience in teaching grinds to college students, but am looking for more formal teaching. Would anybody have any advice on where to apply or how to approach this in the Dublin area?

An application has been sent to my former department for any demonstrating opportunities. My undergraduate study was Biochemistry with a few additional modules such as microbiology and organic/inorganic chemistry.

Many thanks

Hi seb83, is it second level teaching experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Seb83 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Many thanks

Do you have a teaching qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I'd say it's college teaching experience he/she's looking for ? Have you submitted your cv looking to volunteer/ demonstrator experience in the IT's/ Uni's. Write a good letter requesting experience. A teaching qualification is not required to teach in colleges .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Around Easter and August, the Institutes of Technology will be advertising for positions. In fact there were a number of jobs in the Irish Times today (can't remember what they were, but now is the time to be looking).

Don't expect anything permanent, but I would say it will be relatively easy for you to pick up a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Seb83

Thanks for all the replies. I would predominantly be looking at third level teaching experience as I haven't done the Irish leaving cert. The tips on looking into teaching in ITs are a great, I'll definitely look into this.
    I'm not necessarily looking for a paid teaching job, so I hope this might improve my chances

• Advertisement
Advertisement