Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rest In Peace Pygmalion - Condolences thread only - No Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Achtung!

I didnt know him but always read his posts and its easy to see how well liked he was around here.. RIP Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

RIP mate. Didn't know you well, but your death has obviously touched so many who knew you, and loved you. I do believe in afterlife, so I believe your in a better place now, but your death has touched us all, and we're all worse off, for having lost you. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

Think the amount of posts here and on facebook reflect what an awesome guy Pyggy was. I'm really really glad that I got to call him a friend. Kinda lost for words here, which is very unusual! Pyg, your Mam raised an absolute gentleman and your family should be really proud. Irc is never gonna be the same, you made our little chatroom a home, thanks. Thanks for all the laughs and a shoulder when I needed it.

RMS has lost the greatest fanboy ever :P

We'll really miss you pyg, sweet dreams pet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Just saw this, awful news :( Pyg was one of the wittiest, most intelligent C&Hers ever, the forum and IRC won't be the same without him. LADS.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

RMS has lost the greatest fanboy ever
    I never thought I'd see the day where I would miss the interjections about Linux vs Linux/GNU :(

RIP Pyg, it was great having the opportunity to chat with you (even if they were somewhat few and far between) in IRC and, even if it's been said so many times already, it really just won't be the same without you in the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Pygmalion was the first person I ever talked to on C&H, way back in like 2009 or early 2010 or something. He made me laugh so hard through some very dark times in my life. He was there in IRC right from the very start, a constant, reliable presence. He made that channel what it was, and for me, he was one of the ones who made C&H the great forum it became.

I remember the first time I met him, at a C&H meet-up. I remember sitting with him at a café table and him taking out his laptop to let everyone on C&H know how much fun we were having :P I was lucky enough to bump into him a couple of times since I started DCU in September - on fresher's day he literally dragged me to the Redbrick stall and attempted to sign me up as Ho-ster!! That's the Pygmalion I'll always remember, the messer :)

In a way, I feel like I've known Pyggy a lot longer than I have. I hit rock bottom around the time I started posting in C&H and since then I've built a brand new life for myself. Pygmalion has been there for all of that. He was there for all the changes that I went through. So now that he's gone I feel confused. Where will he be so that I can joke with him about the next change?

I think what's hardest about it is that I can't bear to think of him feeling so alone that he had nothing to live for. The night I found out he was missing I trawled through IRC logs to try and find a clue as to his whereabouts. I don't pay much attention to IRC these days though I'm usually signed in. What I found were signs. And I'm devastated that I didn't pick up on them, devastated that I wasn't there reading each word. But I can't blame myself or anyone for that, it's just torture.

I think that Pyggy touched more people than he could ever have thought possible. And if there's a faint silver lining to this dark cloud it's that someone out there might think again before they disappear or take their own lives. Someone else might be more wary of signs of distress in those around them. In some way, Pyggy's sacrifice might save the life of another person, that there could be some good to come from this tragic incident.

I've rambled on here more than I meant to. It's probably not even that coherent. But all I can say is that I'm going to miss you so much Pyggy. I hope that wherever you are now, you're happy. I hope there's no more pain. RIP <3333333333

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Rest in Peace Paul.

Cheers to you (and redbrick society) for my first proper college drink in the slipper at DCU.

Still finding it very hard to comprehend.

You will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

RIP Pyg

IRC will be so different without you. I've been waiting for you to come back online the past few weeks. I never understood the computery things you talked about.

You also taught me this face --> ;_;

Which is how I've been feeling since I heard the news.

You'll be missed ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jorges

I know I didn't know him at all but from his posts and what others here have said he sounds like a real genuine person. Kind, very funny and witty and also very intelligent. I hope that wherever he is now he finds peace. R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Interferon Gamma

This is the first time someone I've known has died. So I'm not really sure what to say.

When I first heard the news Paul had gone missing, I happened across this picture of us and Bythewoods from her birthday a few years ago. It brought a smile to my face, along with concern for his wellbeing. Some of Paul's friends are in college with me and likewise, some friends of mine were in Paul's college course too. I remember when we realised this, we joked about how small the country was. The whole campaign really showed how right he was and like everyone else, I really hoped he would turn up ok.

Paul was a great guy, very witty, very bright and I was really sad to hear the news yesterday. Like everyone else, I can only offer my condolences and deepest sympathies to his family.

RIP Pygmalion. I hope wherever you are now, you're happy.

Previous alias; Craguls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Rest in peace Paul, I wish I got the chance to know you.
    Sincerest condolences to the family :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭kev_s88

im still in total shock...i just dont know what to say.

RIP Pyg/Paul/BunBun :( you really were a great guy and i know everyone in here and everyone in DCU and all your family and friends will miss you immensely :( i just hope that you're in a better place now, and one day i'll get to hang with you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I've been trying to think of what to say, but it's just so hard to process. I can't believe he's gone. I've been looking back through Facebook messages and PMs on Boards and it doesn't seem real that I'll never talk to him again.

I suppose what I really want to say is thank you, Paul. You were always there when I needed someone to chat to, whether it was just for some banter (LADS) or during some more serious, hard times in my life. You made IRC what it was and your posts never failed to make me smile. I'll miss our random, usually drunken, texting.

I remember the first Boards meet up I went to when both of us were there first and we wandered the city while we were waiting for everyone else. He was just so funny and knowledgeable. I didn't understand half the things he was talking about when he got on to the subject of computers and programming, but he was so enthusiastic about it that it didn't matter. The day Pyg came to UCD so we could find Davidius and follow him around was hilarious. I'll never forget him sitting beside Davidius in the Engineering Building, just staring at him to freak him out.

To lose someone so young is tragic. My heart goes out to his mother, family and friends. RIP, Pygmalion. You won't be forgotten. All the heartstacks ever. <333333333333333333.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Really hasn't sunk in yet at all. Pygmalion was a constant presence on C&H, always an integral part of the forum to me, one of the funniest posters, always making it a better place for all posters. Its awful that this has happened, deepest sympathies to all of his family and friends.

RIP Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I remember the name well, something about it stuck out even though I have no idea what it's about. Sad for all you guys that would have been friends, same thing happened to me before with another boards member(although I knew him from another forum) and it hit me extremely hard. R.I.P to this dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

****'s messed up. RIP Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

This is such an awful, awful situation. Paul was a great guy, and it was an absolute pleasure to have known him for the last few years.

I think even this thread is proof enough that he had a huge impact on so many people- he was witty, bright and interesting, and those qualities won't be forgotten easily.

RIP Paul, you will be missed.
    I can't sympathise enough with family & friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Heard the awful news about Pauls death Tuesday night and I still can’t believe it. Even though he was missing for so long I still thought he would turn up safe and sound. I can’t stop thinking about his family and friends and what they are going through at the moment. I saw a lot of Pauls posts around C&H and he always struck me as a lovely guy. Many of his witty posts made me smile when I was having a bad day. I didn’t understand most of the computer or maths things he posted about but was always impressed by his ability to articulate himself so well and he came across as a very bright young man.

My thoughts and prayer are with his family and friends at this horrible time. Especially Pauls Mam Clodagh. So cruel that Mothers Day falls just days after Paul was found. :(

RIP Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I can't believe it at all, I had myself convinced that he needed to get away from everything and had boarded a ferry to Wales for a while, or something. I wish I got to know him better... I loved reading his posts; he was so wry and funny, but always in a pleasant way, and it was amazing to watch him discuss anything related to computers. He had such a mind-blowing understanding of all kinds of programming languages, his passion and ability were so inspiring. He just generally came across as such a clever, witty, kind, thoughtful, lovely person. "Lads" seems much more singular without him around to say it. :(

He would have come up with a way better version of the following...

>10 PRINT "RIP Pygmalion, C&H misses you.";
    >20 GOTO 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I never knew Pyg in real life, but I spent enough tie here to know he was a dam funny guy, and it's such a shame. Without fail, he was a witty voice of reason. Not to mention his condescension of non-mathematics related disciplines. He was one of the few posters who'd make me want to post more.

Ties like these make me realise the fragility of life.

But Pygmallion was, eh, pretty cool and doesn't afraid of anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

R.I.P. Pygmalion - didn't know you personally but from the kind words of all the Boardsies here and the concern they showed you were evidently a decent and well-respected guy who'll be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

I had a look at some of Pygmalions old posts and I have to say that this guy was a terrible loss. His intelligence shines through in his words even after he has gone to a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Haven't been on Boards in a while, but jesus this was awful news. RIP Paul. So very intelligent and hilarious. Such a great guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I miss you.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Came across a photo from a C&H meet-up of Pyggy with a phone hanging from his beard. That's the kind of thing I still remember him for :)

Every now and then something reminds me of him and it brings up all the pain from when I found out that night what he'd done. But I'm doing my best to live life to the fullest for him. Miss you buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I only ever spoke to him once on the C&H IRC and for the brief chat we had It was clear that firstly he loved what he was doing in college and secondly was a genuinely nice guy.

RIP Paul.

Pygmalion was one of the main reasons I started posting in C&H. I met this bunch of intelligent, funny people on IRC, of which he was the wittiest and most knowledgeable. I think I've been unconsciously avoiding boards.ie since he left us, because it wouldn't really be the same without him.

I remember having a conversation in IRC with Pyg one time when it was just the two of us, where he told me he was trying to figure out which of the IRC regulars was the most intelligent. He had his own idea, but it was far too modest. He was the brightest man I've ever met.

I don't think I'd be half as good with computers as I am now if it wasn't for his enquiries into what Operating System I was running currently, or what projects I was working on now.

He made everybody laugh all the time. Put him in a thread or IRC channel with a troll for half and hour, and you'd be in stitches.
    There was one time that I met him on Grafton St. and I stopped and said hi, and he just said "yeeep", and nodded over and over, and anytime I said something he said "yeeep", and kept nodding. I said bye and walked away shaking with laughter. He was definitely a prankster. He had a fantastic sense of humour.

I just hope that his family is pulling through okay. To lose a son the way they did, and one so brilliant as Pyg, must be more difficult certainly than anything I've ever had to do. My heart is still with them.

R.I.P. Pyg. You live on because you touched us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Wexlady44

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Came across a photo from a C&H meet-up of Pyggy with a phone hanging from his beard. That's the kind of thing I still remember him for :)

Every now and then something reminds me of him and it brings up all the pain from when I found out that night what he'd done. But I'm doing my best to live life to the fullest for him. Miss you buddy.

Hi,

Is there any way you can post or send me the pic you mentioned? I'm putting together a photo album and would love to see the pic as it would be so typical of Paul's sense of humour.

I understand if you can't or would rather not.

Clodagh. (Paul's mam)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Wexlady44 wrote: »
    D4RK ONION wrote: »

Hi,

Is there any way you can post or send me the pic you mentioned? I'm putting together a photo album and would love to see the pic as it would be so typical of Paul's sense of humour.

I understand if you can't or would rather not.

Clodagh. (Paul's mam)

Hello there ! Very sorry, only seeing this post now, I don't check this forum very often! Next time I'm on a the laptop with that photo I'll PM it to you, no problem at all. I'll see if I have any other photos of him lying around too. :-)

Advertisement