Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving To/Living In London Megathread - ALL QUESTIONS TO GO HERE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Deadalus wrote: »
    We would have about £650 pound max a month to spend on rent...
    For a room or a place of your own? Because for that kind of rent in London, you're looking at a houseshare, realistically.
    reusable wrote: »
    I've not found a good recruitment agency yet.
    Yeah, unfortunately, in my experience, recruitment agencies in the UK are just as useless as they are in Ireland - I gave up with them pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I found my job through monster.co.uk and my flat through spareroom.co.uk

About the rent, bear in mind that you should realistically make allowance for council tax too which varies depending on where you live.

The further you go out from central London, the more expensive your commute will be. I live in Zone 2, and my weekly travel card for Zones 1-2 (on my Oyster) is £29.20. Zone 1-3 is £34.20, Zone 1-4 is £41.80 etc.

As for work, what kind of job are you hoping to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

Thanks for the replies folks.

Yeah I know all we could get would be a double room for that and we are happy enough with that.

Jobs wise we will take anything that pays more that £25000 to be honest. We have both fairly decent work experience.

I don't suppose anyone is heading over from at the start of April to live and wants to share a house with us? No harm in asking....

Jobs wise we will take anything that pays more that £25000 to be honest. We have both fairly decent work experience.
    Experience of what? Even broadly speaking, what kind of work are you looking for? And is that £25k before or after tax?

Well my girlfriend has about 3 years credit control experience for a telecoms company and I have worked in an adminstration and low level IT capacity for the public service for the last 3 years also. I would be hoping for 25K after tax but anything to get us settled and paying rent for the first few months and then maybe find something better paying then.

• Advertisement

Well my girlfriend has about 3 years credit control experience for a telecoms company and I have worked in an adminstration and low level IT capacity for the public service for the last 3 years also. I would be hoping for 25K after tax...
    To be honest, based on the brief description you've provided, I think that's pretty ambitious. You'd need to be making about £33,500 gross to come out with £25k after tax and that would be a good salary by London standards and an excellent salary by UK standards. But, as I said, this is just based on what you've given me above.

Yeah you are absolutely right. I hadn't really worked it out. So am I being realistic hoping for around 27k before tax? How is the job market there at the minute? I'm currently applying to as many jobs as I can so I'll have to wait and see if I get any replies.

Can you give any suggestions regarding the best zone I could hope for with my budget?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

djpbarry wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently recommended CurrencyFair, although I've not yet tried it myself.

I use this site for transferring money to ireland on a monthly, it works out a heel of a lot cheaper than going through the banks, they get the best exchange rate on teh day, dont charge commision and there is just a one off charge of 1 pound. http://transferwise.com/

ludermor wrote: »
    I use this site for transferring money to ireland on a monthly, it works out a heel of a lot cheaper than going through the banks, they get the best exchange rate on teh day, dont charge commision and there is just a one off charge of 1 pound. http://transferwise.com/
    I've since used CurrencyFair and I'd recommend it. I've actually managed same-day transfers between my accounts in London and Dublin at a cost of just €3.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

The 2 sites are very very similar though i have to say i have never beat 2 days to get into my irish account. I checked just now and the exchange rate for transferwise is 1.193 and for currencyfair it is 1.897 so next to nothing in the rates.
    It really does highlight how we are getting fleeced by the banks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDeadly1

Hey everyone, im lookin to move to the london area, have a friend living there and will hopefully move in with him till i get settled.
    Just wondering, I want to bring my car over, is it fine to bring? or do i have to register it over there or is there anything i have to do??
    Also my bank is AIB at the mo, what bank should i set up with over there?
    I probably have more questions to follow :/ thank yous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

DaDeadly1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, im lookin to move to the london area, have a friend living there and will hopefully move in with him till i get settled.
    Just wondering, I want to bring my car over, is it fine to bring? or do i have to register it over there or is there anything i have to do??
    Also my bank is AIB at the mo, what bank should i set up with over there?
    I probably have more questions to follow :/ thank yous :)

You have to register the car in the UK within three months of arriving. There's a bit of form-filling and you have to take the time to visit a DVLA office during work/office hours. And naturally there are fees involved, but nothing too prohibitive. One possible ballache, if your car's speedometer is km/h, you will have to get it converted to mp/h before they'll let you register it here.

See here for more: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what you should really think about is try and flog the car at home, and buy a car when you get over here. you'll get a much better spec car for your lolly over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDeadly1

Oh any recommendations for good job sites i could be searching? or would i even be able to set myself up within a recruitment agency or anything while still living in ireland???

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I found jobsite was the best one in terms of getting jobs online before anywhere else.

I found a great reluctance to contact me until I put my friends Clapham address on my CV and had picked up a UK sim card though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

ludermor wrote: »
    I've since used CurrencyFair and I'd recommend it. I've actually managed same-day transfers between my accounts in London and Dublin at a cost of just €3.

I use the Post Office online international payments which is free and charges 0% commission

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/finance/making-payments/post-office-international-payments

what you should really think about is try and flog the car at home...
    You'll do well to sell a car for a good price in Ireland at the moment.
    Oh any recommendations for good job sites i could be searching?
    What sort of job are you looking for?
    or would i even be able to set myself up within a recruitment agency or anything while still living in ireland???
    Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with recruitment agencies. But, there's no reason you can't begin searching for jobs from Ireland. However, you'll find prospective employers are a bit more receptive if they know you're available for an interview at short notice.
    I use the Post Office online international payments which is free and charges 0% commission
    Their rates don't look all that good? They're offering €1.16 for £1, but I can get €1.18 on Currency Fair at this moment in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

I just can't decide where I want to go. It's either London, Canada or Australia. I'm currently in the middle of applying for the Canada visa but now having second thoughts. I'm an accountant with 5 years experience currently in Ireland. Anyone any advice? Is there much work for accountants in London? Thanks

Is there much work for accountants in London?
    Nah. London doesn't have much in the way of a financial district.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Nah. London doesn't have much in the way of a financial district.

You forgot the tongue and cheek smiley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

A right clever bunch on here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I don't know about accountants specifically but the banks seem to still be hiring.

You could probably pick up contract work handy enough

A right clever bunch on here
    Oh I'm just teasing ;).

I don't work in the sector, but I do know that it's business as usual in the City of London and there is a lot of money to be earned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 candles_

Hi, Ive read alot about the National insurance number in this thread but I just have one more question about it. I'm only going to be working in the UK for 2 months and I'll only be moving over a day before I start work. Can I just not get a NIN? If I dont what happens?

candles_ wrote: »
    Hi, Ive read alot about the National insurance number in this thread but I just have one more question about it. I'm only going to be working in the UK for 2 months and I'll only be moving over a day before I start work. Can I just not get a NIN? If I dont what happens?

open to correction, but you end up paying emergency tax, way more than regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 candles_

open to correction, but you end up paying emergency tax, way more than regular.

Can I get one in Northern Ireland (by giving a friends address) and use the number in England or is it a different number? Or will I need to provide proof of address in Northern Ireland?

Can I get one in Northern Ireland (by giving a friends address) and use the number in England or is it a different number? Or will I need to provide proof of address in Northern Ireland?

it's a UK number, so norn iron numbers will work, but you will need proof of address.

Hi, Ive read alot about the National insurance number in this thread but I just have one more question about it. I'm only going to be working in the UK for 2 months and I'll only be moving over a day before I start work. Can I just not get a NIN?
    It's quite possible you'll be back working in the UK again at some point in the future, so you may as well just go and get it out of the way - it really isn't that big a deal and it will probably save you hassle in the long run!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 194 ✭✭KidKeith89

Hey guys. I'm moving to London in the next few weeks. Like a lot of other people I can't find work here. I'm a financial journalist, and being a finance centre I really need to be in London - I've researched and there seems to be a lot of opportunities.

When I head over I'll definitely be attending the meet ups, so looking forward to it :) Any advice on where to live? What's it like when you first move over?

• Advertisement

KidKeith89 wrote: »
    Hey guys. I'm moving to London in the next few weeks. Like a lot of other people I can't find work here. I'm a financial journalist, and being a finance centre I really need to be in London - I've researched and there seems to be a lot of opportunities.

When I head over I'll definitely be attending the meet ups, so looking forward to it :) Any advice on where to live? What's it like when you first move over?

Hi KidKeith, check out the FAQ thread here for tips about where to live and what to do when you arrive.

Best of luck and maybe see you at the beers soon!

Advertisement