Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warning more Mercedes E200 differential problems

Options
  • 02-03-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi
    Beware anyone looking at purchasing 2007/2008 E200, the bearings in the Differential are going at around 90000km. Mercedes looking for over €3000.00 for a replacement unit.
    This is not a new problem 2004 and 2005 cars had a lot of problems.

Mercedes are not what they used to be, the quality is now in the showrooms and not in the cars.

Motor Distributors are washing their hands and not assisting owners. Bottom line is these differentials are not fit for purpose and Mercedes should accept their responsibilities.

Please pass the word around.
    Pedigree

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How are uk owners getting on with the fault do you know? Are mercedes uk doing anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭pedigree

I have no information on the uk.
    Pedigree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I'd have thought that the word was well out there by now that the model of merc your talking about was far from a quality product.

Its likely the same situation as the VW/Audi tdi injectors. VAG UK acknowledged the problem and were replacing injectors outside warranty for customers for months while VAG Ireland refused to admit there was an issue with them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Do you have a link to a report on this? Do you know what the situation in Mercedes bigger markets such as Germany is? Do you know how many cars in Ireland or worldwide have been affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm not going to pretend I know a whole lot about the common faults in an E-Class, but are you only on here because it happenned to your car, and you subsequently found similar cases online?

Finding hunderds of cases might seem bad, but remeber that hundreds of thousands were produced, so percentage wise it might be tiny. You'll also hear of problems, never that "the bearings in the diff on my e-class are amazing, they never wore out!"

Either way, it's going to be a secondhand car someones buying, and they have to take the (small) risk that there may be an expensive problem. Comes with the territory of a luxury car really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Either way, it's going to be a secondhand car someones buying, and they have to take the (small) risk that there may be an expensive problem. Comes with the territory of a luxury car really.

Thats not a valid point. He said they are failing at 90,000 km. This could likely effect first owners who paid a large amount of cash for a brand new mercedes and now at about 4 years old and small mileage, mercedes are washing their hands of it. Its pretty poor tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

mickdw wrote: »
    Thats not a valid point. He said they are failing at 90,000 km. This could likely effect first owners who paid a large amount of cash for a brand new mercedes and now at about 4 years old and small mileage, mercedes are washing their hands of it. Its pretty poor tbh.

You're right, Sorry, I didn't really mean that in the context of the bearings, but that people should be aware of possible big bills.

Madness that that Korean companies are giving 5 and 7 year warranties while the likes of Mercedes aren't. People don't buy a Merc for the warranty, but it says a lot about how far the relative new boys have come.

No way that they should be failing at that milage, but is it really a well known specific problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Could someone tell me what exactly is covered under those 7 years warranties? Because I highly doubts it covers engine and gearbox at that stage! Am I wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Could someone tell me what exactly is covered under those 7 years warranties? Because I highly doubts it covers engine and gearbox at that stage! Am I wrong?

Why wouldn't it? There is no reason to expect the engine and drive train not to last substantially longer the 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Why wouldn't it? There is no reason to expect the engine and drive train not to last substantially longer the 7 years.

Just curious, I don't know much about their warranties. Quick google brings up:

Paintwork covered for 5 years
    Audio covered for 3 years
    Batteries covered for 2 years
    Brakes and clutches are excluded for 'wear and tear'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

pedigree wrote: »
    Hi
    Beware anyone looking at purchasing 2007/2008 E200, the bearings in the Differential are going at around 90000km. Mercedes looking for over €3000.00 for a replacement unit.
    This is not a new problem 2004 and 2005 cars had a lot of problems.

Your thread contains a blanket accusation about a product with zero evidence, you sound like a disgruntled customer who is taking out revenge on the supplier. I bet you told MDL that you'd post this thread and now you're carrying out your threat.

Your bearing went and now you are tarring all W211s with the same brush. You were asked for information on what's happening in other markets, including our next door neighbours and you can't supply any. There are plenty of MB discussion forums around the world, include very active ones in the UK and US, why didn't multiple threads on those forums pop up when I googled for W211 differental bearings? I can't see how you can come to the conclusion that this is a common occurance.

Produce the evidence that this is a WW problem or just accept that you were unlucky. Mechanical parts fail, it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

Look up the VOSA website.

It doens't mention differential recalls,, but if Mercedes are burying their head in the sand on this, then they wouldn't admit a recall.

Links please. Searched VOSA for 'e200' and 'w211', got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just curious, I don't know much about their warranties. Quick google brings up:

Paintwork covered for 5 years
    Audio covered for 3 years
    Batteries covered for 2 years
    Brakes and clutches are excluded for 'wear and tear'
    What did you google to get that info?

Many manufacturers guarantee paintwork for n years, but they do not advertise their cars as 'n years warranty' - because that would be seen as false advertising.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

€ 3 k for a new diff what ever happened to the days when a technican could fit new bearings a crown wheel & pinion and set up the back lash correctly . Replacing the diff for a bearing is like replacing the whole gearbox for a syncro ! Dealers are afraid of technical jobs and happier quoting for complete unit repacement !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Darsad wrote: »
    € 3 k for a new diff what ever happened to the days when a technican could fit new bearings a crown wheel & pinion and set up the back lash correctly . Replacing the diff for a bearing is like replacing the whole gearbox for a syncro ! Dealers are afraid of technical jobs and happier quoting for complete unit repacement !

This much is true.... I was quoted over €300 to replace bushes on a rear anti-roll bar because apparently they needed to replace the whole lot (bar and bushes!) despite the fact that they are actually seperate parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hack101

same problem with my 08 e200 sport...only 42k miles on the clock...not impressed with merc...had to put 2 ball joints and fuel pumps in , in the last 8 months, my first and last merc!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

hack101 wrote: »
    same problem with my 08 e200 sport...only 42k miles on the clock...not impressed with merc...had to put 2 ball joints and fuel pumps in , in the last 8 months, my first and last merc!

You signed up to post this. Here? Now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Lovely looking cars though it has to be said. Arguably nicer than the current E.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

The newer e coming is much better looking,not sure about the s class though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I dont know, the new E coming out looks dated already with its square lines on interior and exterior. Dont get me wrong I wouldnt say no. However the older gen is curvy and a masterpiece of design. A friend of mine happily parted with 80k for one back in 04 and Im not surprised why. Today they are pocket change. Of course he regrets it now :)

ofcork wrote: »
    The newer e coming is much better looking,not sure about the s class though.

:confused: The current E (W212) has just had a facelift so the next model is surely a few years away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

Sorry thats the one i meant the W212 which is much improved looks wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AZIza

hi
    i bought brand new mercerdes e300 2010 model and before it complete 100.000km differential has worn out and the agency refused to admit it is manufacturer fault

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I'm a huge Merc fan and own a current and a classic. Quality issues dogged them for a decade when they distracted themselves playing with Chrysler. Any merc with a "0" in the reg should be purchased with the knowledge that they are not of previous Mercedes premium quality and may cost you a few quid. That said, lots of the 2000's mercs are very cheap now and are fantastic cars to drive and may well be utterly reliable. I haven't heard of the diff problems outlined in this thread, but of course any component can fail. Vehicle quality from 2010 onwards is greatly improved, I believe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

My father's '05 W211 has had various problems despite only having covered 60k miles in the last 8 years
    Differential was replaced.
    Brake problems due to the complicated braking system on the car.
    corroding alloys
    and just today the heater doesn't work which is probably due to a valve which needs replacing rather than a thermostat; this is a difficult job on RHD cars and labour intensive.
    The car has been serviced on time throughout it's life and never abused.

They are not a trouble-free car and when they give trouble they are expensive to repair.
    My father used to own 190s and this car is nothing like a 190.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

AZIza wrote: »
    hi
    i bought brand new mercerdes e300 2010 model and before it complete 100.000km differential has worn out and the agency refused to admit it is manufacturer fault

A lot of interesting first posts, is there even such a thing as an e300?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

Haha funny, thought the same thing myself.. about the first posts and the E300...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Or even e200 sport ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

mickdw wrote: »
    How are uk owners getting on with the fault do you know? Are mercedes uk doing anything about it?

E200s are very rare in the UK, so any specific fault with them would be under the radar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement